Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:31 PM   #31

acheron-

I see purchasing a camera on the internet,as a entirely different kind of transaction. I am not looking for advice or camera suggestions, I know exactly what I want. I will pay for it and you, the e-tailer ship it to me on my shipping terms. It is a totally objective transaction, with no variables, no subjectivity, and no questions and answers..

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
acheron-

I see purchasing a camera on the internet,as a entirely different kind of transaction. I am not looking for advice or camera suggestions, I know exactly what I want. I will pay for it and you, the e-tailer ship it to me on my shipping terms. It is a totally objective transaction, with no variables, no subjectivity, and no questions and answers..

Sarah Joyce
Yep, absolutely. So you can imagine how annoyed I was when I drove down to their showroom in a severe snowstorm to get some advice and got the brush off.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:54 PM   #33
sfo

I am still a bit unclear on the Sony memory on the HX5V; you can get either the Sony memory stick or an SD card? Both? Also, can anyone suggest the best memory "set up" in terms of stick and or card and size for both HD movie use 9~3 minutes) as well as hi res pics?

Thanks.
sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:11 PM   #34

sfo-

I have not yet received my HX5. It is due to arrive at the earliest on 02 April, or Friday of this week. As I understand it, Sony has equipped the HX5 in the same way as the A-230 DSLR camera. The card holder is a dual unit that can accept either or both of a SD card or a Sony Pro Duo card. There is a small switch on the dual card holder that selects either the SD card or the Pro Duo card.

That system allows a real advantage as you can fill the SD card first and then switch to the Pro Duo card, or vice-versa. Speaking with other HX5 owners, some install a high capacity SD card to use for video and store their still photos on the Pro Duo card. In doing take the user can separate videos, from still photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:13 PM   #35

Get a sdhc, something class 6 or better. As they recommend Class 6 for video. And since you are doing video, you will want something at least 8gb, as 9 3 min video will quickly use a 4gb card, and I think it will actually exceed 4gb with 9 videos at the lenght.

If you are to save some money a transcend or delkin class 6 16gb is around 42 dollars at most online sites. A class 10 is about 50 dollar with the transcend at newegg.com, and 27 for a 8 gb.

Just do not buy any cards off of ebay, get them from a reputable dealer. To many fakes out there.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:42 PM   #36
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
sfo-

I have not yet received my HX5. It is due to arrive at the earliest on 02 April, or Friday of this week. As I understand it, Sony has equipped the HX5 in the same way as the A-230 DSLR camera. The card holder is a dual unit that can accept either or both of a SD card or a Sony Pro Duo card. There is a small switch on the dual card holder that selects either the SD card or the Pro Duo card.

That system allows a real advantage as you can fill the SD card first and then switch to the Pro Duo card, or vice-versa. Speaking with other HX5 owners, some install a high capacity SD card to use for video and store their still photos on the Pro Duo card. In doing take the user can separate videos, from still photos.

Sarah Joyce
So I suppose I can use the Sony stick for pictures and buy a sdhc card for video (or sdhc for both and use the stick for the backup).

Do the stick and sdhc fit in at the same time or is it one or the other? Last q: what size stick comes w/the camera?
sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:27 PM   #37
Banned

Class 6 is the absolute maximum you will need. Anything above that is a complete waste of money. Transcend are known for good performance for the price though their reliability is questionable. Assuming a card that performs at its rated speeds a Class 4 card is actually plenty, though some new cameras won't recognize anything below Class 6. Class 4 = 32 MBit/s and AVCHD tops out at 24 MBit/s. This isn't rocket science - just marketing.

That said, Class 6 is your best bet in terms of not wasting your money but still getting something you can be assured works with the new cameras.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:27 PM   #38

sfo

The card slot are a dual set-up as I tried to make clear the first time, so both cards can be installed simultaneously.I do not believe any memory card is included with the camera. I could be wrong. I will know for sure when my HX5 arrives on Friday.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:48 PM   #39

sfo-

The HX5 arrived late this afternoon (03/31), so based on a very quick hands-on inspection, all I have found next to the battery is a single SD card slot.

Sarah Joyce