Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:47 AM   #1

Default Newbie: Canon DSLR rebel xsi or T1i...right choice?

hi guys....Based on what I need it for ( family pics, nature, achitecture and travel ), I have decided the rebel xsi is the choice for me.

Considering am a newbie to the dslr, I figure this will be a good entry level camera for me also? I am biased to canon, so not even looking at anything else.
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:54 AM   #2

From you needs, the XSi will fit your needs very nicely. The only advantage the T1i would give is video, higher ISO performance for low light photos without a flash. The XSi sensor is every bit as good as the T1i's up to the XSi's limit of 1600iso. And it is on sale so it is a very good value as well. Add the ef 50mm MK II 1.8. You will like what it can do for the family stuff.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:58 AM   #3

Thanks for that, where is it on sale?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:00 AM   #4

There are other differences between the XSi and the T1i. The XSi has a 12MP image sensor, while the T1i has a 15MP image sensor, the T1i has a better autofocus system for shooting sports/action, and the T1i can record video while the XSi can't. But if these don't come into play, you'd be better off spending your money on lenses that let you do things the kit lens won't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:03 AM   #5

adorama, bh, abe of maine and amazon have deals on the xsi

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:06 AM   #6

right....as mentioned in my original post, I just need it for those things, no action or sport and video can be done with a videocam.

So based on my needs, what other lenses would you recommend to me to buy used to go along with the xsi?

Also have read people buying good after market cheap battery packs from china, any links to good deals.

If I need a tripod and bag, which brands are the best for durability

thx
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:12 AM   #7

I buy the adorama aftermarket batteries, but I have seen even cheaper ones on amazon and ebay. Do a search of LP-E5 and the battery should turn up on ebay and amazon. If the cheapo ones leak, it is not cover under the canon warranty.

I would recommend the 2 lens kit with the 15-55 and 55-250. Also add the 100 dollar ef 50mm MK II 1.8. It should cover most your needs.

On the bags, tamrac, lowepro, kata or crumpler makes good bags that are high quility.

With the XSi since it is a dslr, I would recommend a bit higher grade tripod in the 80-90 dollar range, as they are more stable and are better design for the larger camera, cullmann magnasite line or the slik pro series are excellent choices.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:18 AM   #8

wow....thanks for the recommendations. Its hi-time I make the move to dslr from my point and shoot

cheers
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9

bulls3y3 i just got the xsi about two months or so ago and i m glad i did im new to dslr too ...its hard to get used to but its well worth it..like shoturtle said ive got the 18-55 and the 55-250 lens ....so dont getmad if the pics dont turn out right at first just keep readin the forums and readin the manual...its been two months for me and im gettin the hang of it now ...xsi is a good camara for a begginer like us ...you will like it alot sooo happy shooting and good luck...

Last edited by kirby; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 AM   #10

Thanks Kirby....am probably going to pull the trigger on it soon. Just found a place where I can get it for 600 CAD with the 18-55 lens