Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:05 AM   #1

Default Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-x vs Canon XSi

SO, finally it boils down to these 3 cameras. After lots of research they all fall into the starter range and one of them might be the camera for me.

Any thoughts for this newbie? Which one should I get?

No DSLR experience, will be used for family shots, dinners, birthdays, holidays, picnics, usual basic stuff.
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:31 AM   #2

Two questions:
  1. What do you want to shoot?
  2. How did you narrow your selection down to these three?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:32 AM   #3

well the pentax k-x has the best low light ability IQ of the 3 list, and has 12800iso. So if you later on get a very bright lens like a FA 50mm 1.4, you will be able to take allow of low light photos without a flash. The only other 2 camera's in the entry market that can do this are the T1i and T2i. Which are alot more expensive. You can get the k-x with the 2 lens kit with the 300mm for less then the price of the T1i with one lens. The K-x has a bit better AF system the the d5000 and the XSi. The only con on the k-x is that while you can know when you have a focus lock as there is a solid green octagon on the lower right of the viewfinder, you do not know exactly which point the camera used, if you set the AF points to auto. It uses in body IS so no matter what lens you put on you have image stabilization. As this is a higher end dslr up there with the d5000 and T1i, it is the best bang for the bucks with it's feature. It shoot HD at 720.

The XSi will give you the most lens option form inexpensive to very expensive. As canon has the largest lens line up out there. The image quality of the XSi is on par to both the k-x and d5000 up to it's iso limit of 1600iso. So it is not the best if you take allot of low light stuff. Canon uses a lens base IS system, so if you get a non IS lens you will not have an IS option. But if you do not need low light, this is a great deal right now. No video option, it is a pure camera.

The D5000 is a decent camera for low light, having 6400iso, it has the swivel screen which some like. Image quality is excellent just like the other 2. You do not have as many lens options as other nikon camera if you want auto focus. You can not AF with the nikon 50mm 1.8 that sells for 110 dollars, as the d5000 do not have a in body AF motor. Nikon uses Lens base IS, so if you get a non IS lens, you will not have that option. Nikon has the best flash system on the market, if flash photography is something you are into. Also the d5000 shoots hd video at 720 also.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Tcav

1. I want to shoot my kids, birthdays, outdoors, holidays, parties, the routine family stuff. Maybe some landscapes when on vacation, etc.

2. Short-listed these three from all the stuff I've read online. And price considerations for a 1st time buy.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:35 AM   #5

Shoturtle, so apart from the auto focus issue, Pentax looks like the best bet, for a newbie.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:36 AM   #6

All three camera will do the job on what you want to shoot, but if price is a concern the Pentax k-x is the best value. The XSi is a close second in price. The D5000 is price higher but is on the same level as the pentax k-x.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:38 AM   #7

Yes out of the 3 the pentax has a very good menu system for new user, and some art filters for custom shoots. So it is the most user friendly.

I would check out www.dslrtips.com they have good youtube work shops for new dslr owners and steve's knowledge if you want to learn more about dslr shooting.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:56 AM   #8

I agree with shoturtle. For what you have in mind, there would be no significant advantage to having one over the others.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 30, 2010 at 2:09 PM. Reason: clarification
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:41 PM   #9

Just another point of view-

I own and use the Canon XSi, the Nikon D-5000 and the Pentax KX. In actual practice, I use the Kx the most. Shoturtle is correct, the D-5000 and the KX compete on the same level.

I just find the Kx the most convenient to use on a daily basis.I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:46 PM   #10

Just a note - for your indoor family stuff I would strongly suggest you plan on investing in an external flash in whichever system you decide upon. It will greatly improve your photos.

For what it's worth, I agree that there isn't a compelling advantage to any one camera. Try them all out and go with the one that feels best to use. Then add an appropriate external flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote