Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATWRIK View Post
Will do...I'm still waiting for it to come in. Should get it Wednesday...

I really wanted to get a KX...

A couple things bothered with with the KX...the lack of AF points in the viewfinder and lack of battery grip. I have a buddy that has a 40D with a grip and I love the extra weight. Makes if feel balanced. As well as the ease of taking portraits with the grip.

If I was just planning to do everyday shooting like family, landscapes, wildlife, sunsets, etc. I would have gone KX without hesitation.
Thanks, Patwrik. I am still trying to decide between the Pentax K-7 and the Canon 550D. It has been very difficult to decide between the two, and I still have not found enough compelling information to decide between the two. I have read from one guy who owns a Canon 7D AND a Pentax K7, that REALLY left me very, very confused about Canon... I also read some "reader review" on another site, about the 550D... That left me with a bad taste in my mouth... Again, this is going by what people say who OWN these things. Now, have said all this, I am in no way taking digs a Canon... quite the opposite, I am trying to be objective. Some things I heard about Pentax, well it just doesn't seem to hold water... I know some people make "a religion" out of what camera they have, so I stir away from anything that is not objective... but this deciding process has been the most difficult... I am waiting on a tax return till I can buy it... meanwhile, I keep look... I pull out the notes of the Pentax K7/Canon 7D owner and try to discern what camera is best for me, Pentax or Canon.

Thanks for your words. I wish you all the best with your purchase. Upload pictures when you can.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:01 AM   #12

Exactly, it is really like there is almost too much information, it is at the same time both awesome and hard to make heads of tails of, which is why I like here, because I can post specific questions. I like pretty much everything I see about the Kx and the value, except for some things I've seen about it focusing in low light, I just have hesitations about marrying myself to the Pentax brand as far as lens investment goes, especially if and when I want to upgrade. I need to do MORE research into the T1i as I had focused on the Pentax for so long. I also realize that the price point for the T1i is dropping as the T2i hits the market, so it might be a good time to buy and take some of the sting out as far as the price difference goes between pentax and canon.

I doubt I would ever go any farther than the low 1000 dollar range for a camera body upgrade anyways, . . . . so does anyone have any input on how the Pentax K7 fairs against the Canon equivalent? (I do realize that by the time I do upgrade these cameras will probably be replaced with new generations, but do think it will give me a snapshot of where the companies are going)

Also can anyone tell me about how lens for lens the two companies fair. I know Canon will provide me with a better variety, but does one maker provide better glass?

Also between the Pentax and Canon which one is more rugged as far as taking a few bumps here and there. And which company is better as far as servicing the camera goes?

Last edited by las7828; Mar 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:30 AM   #13

las7828, did I understand you correctly that you have already decided on the Canon? In any case, you are really in same boat as I am... too much information, yet there are real questions, real concerns. I have always been a Pentax user, but I can't buy just on that alone. There is no one perfect camera.

I am planning to mainly take photos of landscape, portraits... no real fast action shots. I like your questions about lenses, glass, etc. As for which camera is rugged, well that is certainly the Pentax k7 and Canon 7D that fit that bill. I really cannot tell you about the service of the company, I know that Pentax has a 2 year warranty.

Say, if you need the notes I mentioned earlier, from the guy who own both a Canon 7D and Pentax K7, I would be happy to PM them to you if you want. His contention is that the Pentax K7, and hold your hats, I am not trying to start any fued between Canon and Pentax users... his contention is that in owning both cameras, he see the Pentax K7 as a better photographic tool, he asserts that AF is not noticeably slower in any lighting condition with his Canon 7D, but that the 7D is very fast in tracking. He mentions how the K7 produced a very tight grain and excellent colour in RAW photos... it goes on... This all being said, I still would like to see two cameras together, same settings, and see photos of the same thing... but I just have no means to find such comparisons... Meanwhile, there is a lot of information overload, with three online reviewers pointing toward Pentax... and a number of others pointing to Canon... but for my budget, which is about the same as yours to some degree, it either Pentax K7 or Canon 550D. Thanks for you words. Ned
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:07 AM   #14

I have the Pentax K7 and love it. I originally wanted to like the Canons but didn't like the way they fit in my hand - the better ones were way too heavy for me to handle comfortably, and I didn't care for the grips on the less expensive ones.

As far as ruggedness with the K7 - it has weather sealing, like the earlier K10 and K20 cameras and I can attest that all 3 handle snow very well. My K7 has also been out hiking/shooting in rain, both light and once relatively briefly in a downpour, without problems (I did use weather sealed lenses). Mine gets dragged around with me every day to and from work, on day hikes and just all the time. It seems to be as rugged as my K20, which has put up with such treatment for longer than the K7 without problems (and I do seem to be a klutz).

I've never had to send any of my Pentax cameras in for servicing. I did have one defective lens (out of quite a few). It took me a while to decide that it was defective and I sent it in for warranty repair when it was about 5 months old. Within about 4 weeks I received a completely new lens, with a new one year warranty. So my one and only contact with Pentax's repair services is very positive.

Pentax does support their cameras with firmware updates when needed. They are easy to install, but I think all camera manufacturers do the same thing, so I don't think that's a deciding factor.

Pentax has made and continues to make some excellent lenses. The really good ones will cost you quite a bit, but that's the same thing with any of the manufacturers. And some of the third party lenses are also excellent. I don't mind working a little harder so I also often use old manual lenses - one of the lenses I use in a couple of different ways was originally bought in 1980. When buying used lenses though you need to make sure you understand what that lens was capable of when first produced - a manual focus lens where you have to set the aperture on the lens won't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure. But it will work the way it was originally designed (manual focus and you'll have to push a button for the camera to meter). Often you can save money by buying top quality used lenses (though the price of used Pentax lenses seems to continue to go up due to greater demand - a reflection of the popularity of Pentax cameras, I guess).

I'd actually like to own a Kx to go with my K7 but that's not likely to happen (when I also have a K20 and a K100, which I got about 3 or 4 months after they were introduced and it's still going strong). The Kx has better high ISO ability than the K7. The K7 has more ability for customization and a lot more control of things, but that can be a double-edged sword. It's very easy to accidentally change something and get it doing something weird, and it can be frustrating to try to figure out how to get it back to the way it should (hint - learn how to reset to camera default settings first thing!). The Kx is more forgiving that way because you have less control over certain things (things you might not ever want to change).

The nice thing about your short list is that all of the cameras on it are capable of taking brilliant photographs. You won't go wrong with any of them.

P.S. I do usually buy my lenses on-line. For the camera, Amazon has a pretty good return policy, you might want to order from someone like them, so you could return it if it doesn't work right for you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:18 AM   #15

Las and Ned-

Please keep in mind that as you rise up in any camera brand's product line that there is another factor that happens. The higher level DSLR cameras in any camera product line are manufactured with the expectation of also having higher user skills as well.

Thus, the learning curve, of taking a point and shooter and matching him/her with a Pentax K-7 becomes progressively longer and more drawn out, as they might have to even learn basic photographic skills, before they can really focus on all the features provided by the DSLR camera. As a result some give up in frustration and return to P+S cameras. It is too much to deal with all in a very truncated period of time.

Cameras like the Kx or the Nikon D-5000 really do have a place in the market. They ease the transition from P+S to DSLR by having a much easier and faster learning curve. Early photo successes foster more motivated learning and the learning curve is much shorter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:27 AM   #16

Les,

I own a t1i and shoot a k-x. The pentax lens build is slightly better then the canon. But both are pretty good, think the long zoom kit, the pentax has a bit of an edge, better reach and higher optics. Both the DAL and EF-s lenses of the pentax and canon are both all plastic mounts.

The focus light is not really a big issue if sports is not a main focus. As I prefer to choose my own points, base on how I like to set the short up. Sometime letting the camera choose the AF points is not a blessing but a hinder, especially with of center shots.

Build of the body is quite good, but the edge goes to the pentax as it has a steel skeleton while the T1i is plastic. But that really do not mean to much, as canon uses a very high grade plastic. I recently drop my t1i, not paying attention, from 2 feet onto a concert walk way and next to a small scratch, everything was fine.

The K-x does have a little bit better IQ at the higher ISO range then the T1i. But again not that big of a difference, you really need to crop in to see it.

AF tracking the canon has an edge, but the pentax is no slouch. It is a newer AF system, so it is pretty good when tracking in low light. It is not canon, but still works well.

Depending on what lenses you want to add, canon may have the advantage as it has the most options out there. But if you were looking for a 50mm lens, the canon 50mm 1.8 is cheap, and a pretty good lens. But it is not as good as the pentax fa 50mm 1.4 which is about the same price as the canon ef 50 1.4 usm. And they have similar performance. But for landscape, cityscape, family shots. They are pretty close in lens options, but if sports and action are your thing. That greatly swings things over to the canon. They have a ton of sport lens options oppose to pentax.

Also you may see the canon 1 lens kit hit 700, but not much more even with the t2i coming out. As it looks like the T2i and T1i will replace the XSi and XS. So the T1i will have another year of full production before a replacement will be coming for it.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:58 PM   #17

las-

Perhaps more closely defining your exact requirements would make the search easier.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:09 PM   #18

Las, whatever camera you buy, I am sure that your choice will be a good one and I think you will be happy with it!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:03 PM   #19

Ok I was able to go out and play with the Nikon D90 at a different Wolf camera, I was able to hold the T1i, but at BOTH stores (Conns and Best Buy) they were dead, no power, so I couldn't really play. I really liked that on the Nikon there is 1 wheel for changing the Aperture and one wheel for changing the shutter speed, it also was large and heavy, which is both good and bad, more to carry around, but also a sturdier camera. I will say compared to the D90, the T1i almost felt wimpy, but it was also really hard to get a feel for it in hand because of the stupid way it is attached to the counter.

The guy I talked to at Wolf was not at all a fan of pentax, had nothing really good to say about them, though what he said conflicted with some of what I've read as he said they didn't do well in low light, however, I didn't get the feel that he was trying to steer me away from a camera he couldn't sell me as he said plenty good about the Canon T1i, so who knows. He also said that people had issues with the Canon 50D, they had people returning the 50D to buy a used 40D. He said, that the T1i and D90 had very similar image quality and were fairly comparable there.

Right now the Nikon D90 is showing up in my cart at BH for 780 dollars, which seems to me to be a good price on the camera. The Canon T1i is 650.

So I think I have it down to the Nikon D90, Canon T1i, as I agree with you all better to put the money towards a better lens then the additions the T2i bring, or the Pentax Kx. I am off to try to read more reviews and see more sample images, I have to be honest, looking around I haven't been blown away with some of the sample shots I've seen for the pentax, but I don't know if that is just because there are less people posting their images since fewer people buy them. I don't know.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:07 PM   #20
Super Moderator

well first off the people at wolf have zero clue what they are talking about.

but yea, it is a great idea to go by feel. the one whos menus feel the best to you, and the one you feel comfortable shooting all day.

also, in regards to the 40d/50d thing. both are great cameras. but whomever thinks that the 40d is a better camera is just plain wrong. there were a few issues with the first firmware on the 50d giving photos a magenta cast, but that was fixed long ago. and the early rumors the 50d had increased noise over the 40d have been long since proven wrong. chalk that up to poor testing initially combined with firmware problems on the initial run.

(i own a 50d, i speak for it from experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7828 View Post
Ok I was able to go out and play with the Nikon D90 at a different Wolf camera, I was able to hold the T1i, but at BOTH stores (Conns and Best Buy) they were dead, no power, so I couldn't really play. I really liked that on the Nikon there is 1 wheel for changing the Aperture and one wheel for changing the shutter speed, it also was large and heavy, which is both good and bad, more to carry around, but also a sturdier camera. I will say compared to the D90, the T1i almost felt wimpy, but it was also really hard to get a feel for it in hand because of the stupid way it is attached to the counter.

The guy I talked to at Wolf was not at all a fan of pentax, had nothing really good to say about them, though what he said conflicted with some of what I've read as he said they didn't do well in low light, however, I didn't get the feel that he was trying to steer me away from a camera he couldn't sell me as he said plenty good about the Canon T1i, so who knows. He also said that people had issues with the Canon 50D, they had people returning the 50D to buy a used 40D. He said, that the T1i and D90 had very similar image quality and were fairly comparable there.

Right now the Nikon D90 is showing up in my cart at BH for 780 dollars, which seems to me to be a good price on the camera. The Canon T1i is 650.

So I think I have it down to the Nikon D90, Canon T1i, as I agree with you all better to put the money towards a better lens then the additions the T2i bring, or the Pentax Kx. I am off to try to read more reviews and see more sample images, I have to be honest, looking around I haven't been blown away with some of the sample shots I've seen for the pentax, but I don't know if that is just because there are less people posting their images since fewer people buy them. I don't know.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote