Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:13 PM   #21

I have to disagree with the sales guy, the pentax k-x is really great in low light. It has a bit better IQ then my T1i.

You should really find a shop that will let you demo the T1i. So you can get a really good feel of the camera. The D90 is a higher grade camera so it has more feature. But the 50D has great IQ also, I am really surprise that he said that people were returning it for a 40D. Hards shoots a 50D and he post some fantastic results from his 50D and tokina setup.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:38 PM   #22

Yeah I am not taking the guys word for everything as I knew better on some of the things he was saying. I am going to try to get to the Houston Camera Exchange and try things out there, I've read they have everything except for the pentax, but hopefully as a camera show instead of a retail chain you will be able to try things out better. I have a friend who gets fantastic pictures with her 50D, she did say though that she wasn't as big of a fan of it's image quality in auto mode.

This is going from my memory but his point on the 50D v 40D was the added megapixels actually made for a less sharp image as the sensor didn't handle the added megapixels well, which is something I read on the T1i too. Of course this is a paraphrase, but that was the gist.

I've only read a few reviews but so far everything says that the D90 has the advantage over the T1i. Of course I'd still have to measure this against the Pentax. But I ma guessing the D90 has the edge over the pentax kx as well.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:45 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7828 View Post
This is going from my memory but his point on the 50D v 40D was the added megapixels actually made for a less sharp image as the sensor didn't handle the added megapixels well, which is something I read on the T1i too. Of course this is a paraphrase, but that was the gist.
that was what people were trying to say when it first came out. there is a slight advantage in sharpness at the individual pixel level for the 40d, as would be expected from fewer pixels. however, the increase in nominal pixels for the 50d overcomes these differences, and really it does have better image quality. not only that but it has higher ISO capabilities, more control over noise reduction, AF adjustment, higher resolution LCD,
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:46 PM   #24

If you are going to a camera show, bring a sdhc card with you, take some photos with each camera and look at them when you get home. As allot of these point the reviews point to are 100% crop to see the difference. Everyones eye is difference, so it really depends on what pleases you taste. The D90 when I was shooting it was really nice, but found the NR of the camera muted out the color vs the T1i, 50D and the k7. For me the little extra noise was made up with the more vibrant colors. Actually I think the sony senor that the K-x use right now is better then the nikon one. It has excellent IQ. I should really borrow my brothers camera and post some sample. But do not know when I will have time.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:59 PM   #25

Actually that was something people said when the 7D was announce that the added pixel would lose some sharpness. But it is really not the truth. The 7D is the best aps-c sport camera on the market right now just a hair ahead of the nikon d300. The review of the 7d has come out support this. I think you are getting allot of old info, and inaccurate info. If I had to choice between the 50D or D90, the 50D wins hands down.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:50 PM   #26

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, I had been reading and asking advice from this forum since Jan., back then things were so simple (lol), D5000, D90 or T1i... possibly 50D (simple lol). Then comes along the T2i announcement, oh great, throw another camera in the mix, boasting a lot of features of the 7D, and all the bells and whistles that I really didn't care about but definitely weighs in on the "well I guess if it's got it it's nice to have" (video) perks. Needless to say after picking up all 4 cameras and playing around with them I can say the 50D feels much more solid, however, if I pick up any point and shoot and then pick up any one of these cameras mentioned they feel solid in my opinion. I ended up picking up the T2i... I absolutely love it. Like you I am learning everything I can about photography, talking to photographers I know, posting images on these forums and getting feedback from such a supportive community. I find myself taking pictures of anything and everything but I didn't get the camera for that to be honest it just ended up like that (I take it to work with me... just in case lol), I got it to take, what I would like to be, excellent pictures of my kids as they grow up playing sports. Since you mentioned this wont be used for many action shots I personally wouldn't worry about the continuous shooting speed at all then, but as for me honestly, even though the T2i is newer and with the bells and whistles as far as sports shooting goes I am kind of sad now that I don't have the 50D, but that's it, I think with the same lens on the two cameras the IQ will be very similiar, if not better on the T2i for certain images and vice versa for 50D... and then there is post processing... but I digress, good luck. One last thing, the T2i has very nice button placement in my own opinion, 4 hotkeys for things like, focus mode, mode, one shot - continuous etc, also a dedicated button for iso and when you are looking through the viewfinder in manual there is a dial on the top that changes the shutter (and I think a button that switches the dial between shutter or aperature).

Good luck
Mike
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:15 AM   #27

One thing I keep finding in all the comparison shots, is that I'm drawn to the "brightness" of the Nikon D90 over the Kx, (examples of this found here, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pent..._ISO%20200.JPG v. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pent..._ISO%20200.JPG or the sample shots found here http://imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM ) . . . to me the colors just seem to pop more with the D90. I just don't know, on paper the Pentax is very appealing, I heard someone say they handled one at Fry's anyone know if they still carry them in store? I must get some sleep I've been reading up on things for the past 3 hours. Thanks for all the info and feedback and I'm sure any feedback to come. It really does help!
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:27 AM   #28

I looked at the comparison with the house outdoors, and the d90 is brighter and the color more washed out, while the k-x looks a bit darker, but the colors are more vivid. But the best this to do is bring a sdhc card with you and take photo with the different models. And they look at it on your computer, as you will have the original image and get really see which one you like the most.

PS

When I crop in at the 6400iso, the pentax looks like it has more definition and better noise control.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM. Reason: PS
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7828 View Post
One thing I keep finding in all the comparison shots, is that I'm drawn to the "brightness" of the Nikon D90 over the Kx, (examples of this found here, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pent..._ISO%20200.JPG v. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pent..._ISO%20200.JPG or the sample shots found here http://imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM ) . . . to me the colors just seem to pop more with the D90. I just don't know, on paper the Pentax is very appealing, I heard someone say they handled one at Fry's anyone know if they still carry them in store? I must get some sleep I've been reading up on things for the past 3 hours. Thanks for all the info and feedback and I'm sure any feedback to come. It really does help!
The frys in san diego have the KX on display so if you have one in your city, check it out. They had all the models I was looking at. T1i, T2i, KX, D90, etc
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:02 AM   #30
Super Moderator

well the good news is, you really can't go wrong here. they are all fine cameras.

it seems like the d90 is the one that suits your tastes best, so go for it and start shooting. no matter what camera you would have chosen, it would have fit your needs just great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote