Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:43 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well the good news is, you really can't go wrong here. they are all fine cameras.

it seems like the d90 is the one that suits your tastes best, so go for it and start shooting. no matter what camera you would have chosen, it would have fit your needs just great.
Dustin, you are meant to be moving house today, not posting

Not wishing to take over the thread but are you all set?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:15 AM   #32

Yeah I did notice that in the outdoor house picture, with the Kx and D90 but also there is obviously a LOT of new growth in all the greenery around the house. So I don't know how accurate a comparison the two would be. I do recognize the lack of noise at the higher ISO too. I do think I'm leaning towards the Nikon right now, at least of the cameras I've put my hands on. The Pentax is a big ? for me, and I guess it also depends on what I find with availability with and lens options.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:28 AM   #33

The pentax is the size of the d5000 and T1i. It is a compact dslr. But if you look at the roof tiles, it has a bit better color to my eye. It looks more dynamic still.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:38 AM   #34

Nikon has more lens then pentax for the D90. But it comes down to what you shoot and weather it has a good lens for it. And how good of a lens you want.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:56 PM   #35

Something else to throw into the decision. Pentax has the limited line of lenses. They are super compact. Great for keeping the camera size light. They are a bit pricy, but are excellent lenses for the digital format form the reviews about them.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:18 PM   #36

I was about to create my own thread, but there's already so much useful info in here.

I'm in a similar situation - stuck between the K-X and the T2i. I'm leaning heavily towards the K-X at this point due to the excellent value (the kit is ~$500 online), but the 1080p + slow motion 720p video capabilities of the T2i are very tempting. Film and editing were passions of mine when I was younger and I'd love to continue where I left off, especially with the beautiful DOF you get with DSLRs.

Overall, the K-X looks like the better option for a newbie like myself. With the ~$400 or so I'd save over the T2i, I could buy all the necessary equipment and maybe a nice macro lens down the road (love shooting macro). And I'd still have 720p video. Thinking about spending $900 or so on the T2i kit + SD card + quality bag + all the other starting equipment makes me a little nauseous. I'm also somewhat ashamed to admit that I have fallen in love with the white color option of the K-X.

I know that someone already mentioned that Pentax lenses tend to be more expensive than Canon, but is that true even considering that I wouldn't be buying IS lenses due to the K-X's internal IS?

Last edited by Logik; Mar 31, 2010 at 5:22 PM.
Logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:40 PM   #37

Comparing the Pentax K-x to the Canon T1i would be fairer. But if you like shooting macro, having the IS in the body means whatever lens you get will be stabilized. That would win me over.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Comparing the Pentax K-x to the Canon T1i would be fairer. But if you like shooting macro, having the IS in the body means whatever lens you get will be stabilized. That would win me over.
Yeah, the internal IS is what first turned me on to the K-X.

I'm not considering the Canon T1i because for my purposes the K-X is a better value. I'm just a bit envious of the T2i's video capabilities and the improved LCD screen, but I really don't think paying nearly double the price of the K-X justifies my technolust. I'll likely settle with the K-X as a safe, inexpensive choice to grow and experiment with.
Logik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:12 PM   #39

As posted a bit previously, Fry's Electronics has Kx here in Phoenix (along with K7s).

There is a Fry's in Houston at
Houston 10241 N. Fwy I - 45 77037 (281) 931-2200 (281) 931-2218
http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logik View Post
I was about to create my own thread, but there's already so much useful info in here.

I'm in a similar situation - stuck between the K-X and the T2i. I'm leaning heavily towards the K-X at this point due to the excellent value (the kit is ~$500 online), but the 1080p + slow motion 720p video capabilities of the T2i are very tempting. Film and editing were passions of mine when I was younger and I'd love to continue where I left off, especially with the beautiful DOF you get with DSLRs.

Overall, the K-X looks like the better option for a newbie like myself. With the ~$400 or so I'd save over the T2i, I could buy all the necessary equipment and maybe a nice macro lens down the road (love shooting macro). And I'd still have 720p video. Thinking about spending $900 or so on the T2i kit + SD card + quality bag + all the other starting equipment makes me a little nauseous. I'm also somewhat ashamed to admit that I have fallen in love with the white color option of the K-X.

I know that someone already mentioned that Pentax lenses tend to be more expensive than Canon, but is that true even considering that I wouldn't be buying IS lenses due to the K-X's internal IS?
They are really not more, if you look at the price of the FA 50mm 1.4 which is along the same lines of performance as the canon ef 50 1.4 and the nikon AF 50 1.4 it is in the same ball park in price around 300-330 dollars.

But you really need to compare the k-x against the T1i, and I shoot both. And if sport is your thing, the T1i would me the better choice. If no sport and you want a bag for the bucks the K-x is a great performer. And with the HD, they are about equal, as the 1080 on the t1i is hamper at 20fps, not the 24fps that is the standard. If canon gets the user the firmware they want to up it to 24fps. The the canon t1i would be a better hd camera.

The T2i hands down it the best HD dslr in the entry/prosumer market. The only other hd dslr that performs like the T2i is the semi pro/pro 7D. So if it is video you are after the t2i is the better choice and well worth the extra money. But for photo the T1i is the better bang for the buck with the same level of IQ.

PS

Also the LCD between the t1i and t2i is not that great. The T2i is design more for HD video, so it has a longer and short screen. And it is not a big resolution jump. The T1i's lcd is as good as the one on the nikon d90, and better then ever other lcd in the entry level dslr. So if you are shooting video the T2i will be more useful, but for photos you will not see a difference. I have looked at the T2i at the store next to the t1i, and there really is no visible resolution improvement when viewing photos.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 31, 2010 at 7:25 PM. Reason: Post Script
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote