Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:50 PM   #1

Default Still struggling KX, T2i, 50D, D5000 D90?

I'm still struggling with my camera choice. On my list is the Pentax Kx or K7, Canon T2i and 50D, and the Nikon D5000 and D90.

I had for a while been set on the Kx in my mind. But I went to try to go and find one in store to hold and feel, . . . and cannot find one in the entire Houston area so far. This concerned me and my husband when it gets to accessorizing the camera, you are pretty much completely limited to online shopping. This would probably not be a big deal, but, makes taking the initial step a bit harder.

This will be my first DSLR camera and I am willing to learn the camera, but I don't want to be completely overwhelmed. I plan to first learn all I can about photography and the camera before I try to learn any post editing software.

A large concern is image quality, I want those crisp images where the subject seems to jump out of the image, my current camera shoots soft in autofocus I also can be roughish on a camera, bumps here and there so I want something that can take that.

I think between the two Nikon's I would take the D90 over the D5000, just for the in body auto focus expanding your lens options.

Video is really NOT important to me, our point and shoot does a great job with it and I think it would actually be nice to have my DH shooting video of something with that while I was able to shoot pictures.

I just don't really know how to compare the Kx to the other cameras I listed. I am willing to pay 300 dollars or so more and slowly build my lens selection if it means I will get a better camera that I will be able to shoot with for a long time without complaint. But if the KX is all the camera I would ever need, or would work for me for 5 years, . . . and upgrading to the K7 or whatever the equivalent would be at that time, would keep me happy then I'm fine with that and attracted to it at the price point.

I know I would pick the kx over the lower level canons, I also have a friend with the 50D who said she didn't think it did a great job in auto mode so that is also a concern for me. But then I read that the T2i is a lot slower shooting than the 5d, . . . but how would that compare to the kx's speed or the Nikon's?

I am just frustrated at this point, I want to make the right choice and not being able go out there and try the dang thing out is a big bump in the road for me making an informed choice.

Thanks for bearing with me and giving me any info/feedback that you can.

Last edited by las7828; Mar 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:03 PM   #2

Think this is a double post, so I will copy what I wrote in your other thread.

The K-x competes against the d5000 and T1i. The D90 and T2i is a bit higher grade camera. But you need to realize that the 5D is allot higher grade camera then all the camera's you mention. It is a 2500 dollar body by it self. To be fair, non of the cameras you listed can match the 5d.

Did you try ritz or wolf camera in the Houston area. They do sell pentax.

But you will save buying online, currently Abes of maine has it for 700 with the 2 lens kit with the 300mm.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:13 PM   #3

All the cameras you mentioned are quite good, but each has its strengths and weaknesses, so it's hard to recommend one without knowing what type(s) of photography you want to do. For instance, do you want to shoot sports/action, landscape/seascape, cityscape/architecture, portraits, macro, etc.?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:35 PM   #4

Yeah that was a typo I meant 50D, not 5D, LOL I wish I was in the market for a camera that nice. I went to Wolf they have them online but not in store, the only one they had that I could put my hands on, before I added the D90 and 50D was the D5000, and that is where the guy told me you would have a hard time finding the Pentax anywhere to try out, and so far from calling around to other places he is right, . . . it seems crazy because it isn't like Houston is a small town.

I am mainly wanting to shoot my kids, indoors and out, I can't get fast enough shutter speed inside to shoot without the flash and I hate the way the flash alters the pictures. I also like taking shots at the zoo and being creative with photography, but for the most part I'm looking at something I can take portrait quality photos of my kids with.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:58 PM   #5

Pretty much any of the camera will do what you need, but with your kids indoor the 12800iso of the k-x and the T1i would come in handy. And since video was not a high priority then the T2i will be added features you will not need. And I would use the saving to get a 50mm 1.4 with either the canon or pentax. Though canon has the 50mm 1.8, the 1.4 is a better lens. And better for low light, as the 1.8 has issues with focus in low light as you do not like using a flash. The only one that falls a bit short will be the d5000, as you will pay a 120-150 more the the canon or pentax for a 50mm 1.4. I would pass on the d90 as it is a bit bigger and with kids, you may want to save some weigh.

But I thought that there were also ritz in the area, I know that they are own by the same company and had couple of stores in the Houston area.

Also the 50D and the T1i share pretty much the same sensor. The 50D just has a double bus, giving it a way faster burst rate.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:00 PM   #6

For sports/action, the T2i, T1i, 50D and D90 are your best bet, followed by the K-x, then the D5000.

For indoor available light shooting, Canon and Nikon have a better selection of lenses, except that few will autofocus on the D5000. The K-x has image stabilization in the camera body, and for available light, that'll be an issue. Canon has a stabilized, large aperture standard zoom, but it's expensive. Nikon doesn't have one of their own. Third parties have some, but they aren't very good. Pentax has a large aperture standard zoom, and Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all have them for the Pentax mount, and they're all stabilized on a K-x.

Also for indoor available light shooting, the K-x, T2i and T1i have the highest ISO setting.

Canon and Nikon have the best selection of portrait lenses, but they won't autofocus on the D5000.

There's no clear leader, but the D5000 is the clear loser.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:10 PM   #7

I agree with TCav, the d5000 does fall behind the rest, especially since indoor is something you are intending to shoot.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:45 AM   #8

Las,

I was in the same boat as you as for selection of my first dSLR. I was completely overwhelmed with the choices, brands, price, pros and cons, etc.

It got to the point where I didn't even want to purchase a dSLR any more and wanted to get another point and shoot. Ha!

Then I came to the conclusion, that any camera will work for what I need it to do. By the time I notice that the camera is not performing to my standards, I'm probably going to upgrade.

My reasoning is this, I'm a newbie and I'm going to have to learn how to use all the features. While learning all the features, I will come to find out what I really enjoy shooting. By the time, I master the features I like for the shooting I enjoy, I will find a camera to properly fit my needs.

What I am trying to say is make a decision with what system / brand you want to go with as for lenses/glass. Then get out there and start shooting. Remember the camera is just a tool. And just because you may have the most expensive tool in the shed, it does not mean your going to do miracles with it. You have to learn how to use it. You'll find what you like shooting and what features you wish you had. By then, you should be due for an upgrade. Thinking 3-4 years down the road.

All the cameras you listed are good cameras and as TCav said there are no clear winners but clear loser in your list is the D5000. Personally I would recommend the KX or T1i for value purposes. Both get solid reviews all over the net.

I personally got the T1i after much deliberation over KX or T1i.

Well, I feel like I'm rambling but I hope I helped a little bit.

patwrik
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:53 AM   #9

Patwrik, you mentioned that you "got the T1i"... Let us know, in time, how you like it. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:43 AM   #10

Will do...I'm still waiting for it to come in. Should get it Wednesday...

I really wanted to get a KX...

Really really really wanted... I liked the "bang for the buck" factor and the pentax community especially here on steve's...

A couple things bothered with with the KX...the lack of AF points in the viewfinder and lack of battery grip. I have a buddy that has a 40D with a grip and I love the extra weight. Makes if feel balanced. As well as the ease of taking portraits with the grip.

But the KX did not fit my needs...as TCav, shoturtle and countless others have said...if you are planning to take actions shots...Canon...

If I was just planning to do everyday shooting like family, landscapes, wildlife, sunsets, etc. I would have gone KX without hesitation.
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote