Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Canon S90 vs Canon PowerShot SX210

Hello everyone, I just purchased the Canon S90 and find that its a great camera. I recently saw that the Canon SX210 was just released and the functions seem just as promising (especially with the zoom and HD video that the S90 doesn't have). I was also wondering if the S90 is suppose to have a clicking lens noise when you point it around different areas (sounds like the shutter is adjusting to the amount of light.. but its a bit loud)? There are also times when the macro in "P" mode produces a double shutter effect and then totally blurs the photo.. I was wondering if this has to do something with the distance im standing because it produces a "!" symbol on the screen as if it cannot focus; however, when I put flash on the photo is fine. Are there any other cameras you guys can suggest for a typical P&S camera? Thanks
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:26 AM   #2

xsimplicity-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delight you dropped by.

Your post is just the opposite of your screen name. Your post is very complex, so we will have to break it down into smaller workable portions.

Canon S-90 Camera operations: The clicking noise you here is the IS gyro coming up to speed and being able to provide the needed IS capabilities. It occurs when the shutter release is depressed beyond the half way point. It is a perfectly normal noise.

When the S-90 is set to the macro mode there is a close focus limit. The lens has to be at least 4 to 6 inches from the subject, or it is unable to focus properly. That might be the warning that you are getting. You are closer than that minimum focus distance. The other warning that the S-90 gives is when there is insufficient light to handhold and take the photo. That is why the camera will work when the flash is used.

Other P+S cameras: The new Canon Sx-210 is an entirely different kind of camera than the S-90. It does not have the large imager that is arah Joycefound on the S-90. The Sx-210 also has a slower lens than the S-90, making it far less adaptable to low light shooting environments than the S-90.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
xsimplicity-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delight you dropped by.

Your post is just the opposite of your screen name. Your post is very complex, so we will have to break it down into smaller workable portions.

Canon S-90 Camera operations: The clicking noise you here is the IS gyro coming up to speed and being able to provide the needed IS capabilities. It occurs when the shutter release is depressed beyond the half way point. It is a perfectly normal noise.

When the S-90 is set to the macro mode there is a close focus limit. The lens has to be at least 4 to 6 inches from the subject, or it is unable to focus properly. That might be the warning that you are getting. You are closer than that minimum focus distance. The other warning that the S-90 gives is when there is insufficient light to handhold and take the photo. That is why the camera will work when the flash is used.

Other P+S cameras: The new Canon Sx-210 is an entirely different kind of camera than the S-90. It does not have the large imager that is arah Joycefound on the S-90. The Sx-210 also has a slower lens than the S-90, making it far less adaptable to low light shooting environments than the S-90.

Sarah Joyce

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I really love the s90's low light capabilities... I think its a keeper! But now I have also set my eyes on the Sony HX5V.... I originally wanted to stay away from Sony cameras because they're well known for noisy image results. Can anyone provide feedback on this sony camera? Which camera would you personally choose? Thanks.
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:38 PM   #4

xsimplicity-

Well, for a lot of HX5 information and sample photos, why not check out our Sony P+S Folders, there are over 70 posts in the HX5 thread there.

The noisy camera tag just does not fit the HX5 images that you will see posted in our Sony P+S Folder. There are photos at ISO 400, ISO 800, and ISO 1600 and they look good.

I think that the Sony HX5 is well worth your serious consideration. It does not suffer reduced image quality as do the 14mp Panasonic ZS7 and the Canon SX-210.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote