Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:32 PM   #1

Default OK its time to buy and I need bang for the buck

I am going to buy on eBay I am going to buy used I am going to buy an SLR and I wish the Mega Pixel size to be 7 or higher I have been cruising eBay and I think I can get all this for between 200 and 300 dollars for a nice used camera that will do everything a good camera should. The only problem is I know nothing about what a used camera should be or what I will need to do good portrait shots or macro stuff even taking shots for eBay.

I know I can do all this without an SLR but I want it just to set a quality standard as I do use my shots for web design and product shots for e commerce stores ect. So I need your help what is thre best Camera dollar for dollar within the guidelines above? Here is an example of one that I thing might fit the bill... http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...d=&mfe=sidebar
or
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Alpha-DSLRA3...item27b071a1a5

Although these may go over the stated price I hope you get the idea of what I want i just don't know enough about these cameras and i am afraid I will make a costly mistake. So I would appreciate your help. Thanks
titus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:36 PM   #2

Buying a used dSLR is a big gamble. You don't know how much it was used or what abuse it was subjected to. dSLRs have more moving parts and are more delicate than P&S digicams. When you buy used, you don't get a warranty. If you buy a dSLR and a bunch of accessories for it, and it stops working, you want it fixed. Getting your money back won't help with all the other stuff you bought.

If you're really pinching pennies, you might be better off with a refurbished dSLR from a reputable retailer. Adorama.com sells factory refurbished Canon, Olympus, and Nikon dSLRs with store warranties that are as long as the factory warranties on new items. Sony has the SonyStyle Oultlet store where you can buy refurbished Sony dSLRs.

I suggest you rethink your plan.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:37 PM   #3

If you push you budget a little bit, you can get a olympus e520 brand new with 2 lenses for 399. One of the members posted this info.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...-520-song.html
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:00 PM   #4

titus-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Purchasing a used DSLR is really a roll of the dice. I noticed that you picked out the Sony A-200 DSLR camera equipped with the Sony 18-70mm lens. While the A-200 does have in body stabilization, that 18-70mm lens was only a fair to poor lens. So the lens has to be considered in your camera selection process as well.

www.dyxum.com has lens evaluations for all Sony/Minolta lenses. So that is a good reference point that you can use to check lenses for an Sony Alpha DSLR camera.

Consider the lenses being offered. Often times a two lens kit will be offered along with the DSLR body. Also when looking at any DSLR consider whether that camera body has IS. Or, if it is a Canon or a Nikon camera, the IS will be offered not in the camera body, but in the lenses.

I would be very careful in selecting any used DSLR camera. Look at the units being closed out like the Olympus E-520 that shoturtle mentioned and refurbished cameras. But keep in mind the refurbishing should be done by the camera maker, and that refurb cameras only have a 90 guarantee. Good Luck!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:08 PM   #5

Titus,

As sarah and Tcav said, It is really risky to get a used dslr, for an example. I just recently sent my 10 month old canon T1i in for service. As I used it allot in the 10 short months I got it almost 14000 photo. If you get one that has seen allot of service, there may be hidden problems that will manifest it self, and you will spend time and money to get it repair. Well over the 100 dollars more then the close out price for the e520. And if my camera was not under warranty, I am sure it would have cost over 150, as they had to change out a part with the electrical problem.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:29 PM   #6

www.robertsimaging.com is a retailer in Indianapolis that has been around for a long, long time and they are as good as it gets in Indy.

Check out their used Nikon Digital SLR. They have a two or three D40X cameras at pretty reasonable prices.

I would offer this advice. Pick the brand you want to stick with for a long time. After you buy the camera, you'll start buying lenses to fit it. After a while you'll have a considerable amount of money wrapped up in a brand. It's not a good thing to figure out you want a different brand AFTER you pretty deep in to another.

Best of Luck

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7

Wow you guys have given me alot to think about so warranty is the way to go hmm well I guess I will "re-think" my plan I was hoping to slide in under 300 by having someone else pay the depreciation but with all these Caveat's...

Thanks again. Now to find a new DSLR for cheap...in Canada
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:02 AM   #8

Looking for low price. Because most of the entry market dslr are quite good. But the e520 is discontinue, so you should be able to find deals on them.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 2:00 PM   #9

so you would disagree with this article? I am just getting conflicting data. I appreciate your time thought. Is it really a high risk choise to buy used in the dslr market?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 2:16 PM   #10

The author is talking about obsolescence, not use and abuse. I think we all here agree that if you can find a 2003 Canon 10D new in the original, unopened box, you should jump on it. But that's not what we're talking about.

SLRs are complex mechanical devices. Before film SLRs had motor drives, the mirror/shutter assemblies were only rated for maybe 10,000 actuations. When motor drives showed up, that wasn't nearly enough, so professional level SLRs could handle as many as 50,000 or even 100,000, and when a pro was done with a camera, it wasn't worth a nickel. When motor drives became more common, cameras became more durable. dSLRs don't even need to handle film any longer, so they're simpler in that regard, but the number of actuations isn't limited by the amount of film someone is willing to buy (let alone process). So the number of acctuations can be astronomically high, and you have no way to know how USED a used camera actually is.

It would have to be really cheap, and it would have to have been bought new by my mother, before I'd buy a used dSLR.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote