Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:26 PM   #1

Default Which PS camera for kids and travel photos?

Hey everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while and find it very helpful. I have been looking for a point-and-shoot camera that will allow me to take beautiful pictures than can eventually go up on my walls (8x10?). I also want something that will allow quick shots for taking pictures of my kids. Does such a dual option exist?

I've looked at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 and the Canon PowerShot SD1200IS. Will the Panasonic's max iso (best shot) of 800 affect my picture quality?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
bigfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

bigfishin-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by. fo

The cameras you have listed are selling for less than $(US) 150.00. Is that your budget?
How do you plan to light your photos of the kids? Here is an example of an outdoor photo that natural lighting for the photo. It was taken with a Sony H-3 camera. The current model today is the Sony H-20 that is selling for $(US)199.00.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:06 PM   #3

I was thinking action shots of the kids. THe kind where you want to click off a shot fast before you miss the moment (so not a long delay). My budget would be 200 +/- 50. I also don't want to miss out on being able to photograph landscape stuff on vacations.

I was also looking at the Fuji Finepix F70EXR but was unsure of fuji's relability.

Last edited by bigfishin; Apr 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM.
bigfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:53 PM   #4

bigfishin-

The Fuji F-70EXR is a good camera, but it really a 5 mp image and lots of small adjustments have to be made just before taking any photo, to get the best results. That workflow seems to defeat your personal camerae price may fall strategy.

The Sony H-20 priced currently at $199, and it may gradually fall even further in price, as Sony has just introduced their new wide angle 10X optical zoom HX5 which sells for around $350. The H-20 is an excellent value, while it does not have a true wide angle, it does have 10X optical zoom, it is rated as having the best auto mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class, and it has HD video and you can zoom while filming. The sample photo I posted above was taken with an early version of the H-20 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Banned

The F200EXR is a better cam than the F70EXR if you don't need the zoom. As Sarah Joyce said though, Fujis cams essentially only give you half their rated MP for the best quality shots and they are not at all user friendly when compared to other P&S cams.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote