Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:26 AM   #11

Thank you everybody for your valuable suggestions, and sorry for late reply.

After going through your suggestions and some other articles now I am realy looking for PS cameras that mtclimber as suggested. Just few more queries -

1. What about the image sensors of PS cameras? Are they enough to take good photos in any kind of light (indoor and outdoor) and in any image size (MP)?
2. Depth of field.
3. Long exposure photos.
4. Shutter lag time in PS cameras.

Regards,
Angshujit

Last edited by angshujit; Apr 16, 2010 at 2:58 AM.
angshujit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 AM   #12

The point and shoot for indoor is not great with out a flash. They do get a bit of noise at night. The s90 and g11 handle high iso better, but do next expect dslr level with any point and shoot.

You can not expect to much depth of field with a pns

The bridge camera can have long exposures, not the pure pns

You will have shutter lag time with any point and shoot/bridge camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:15 PM   #13

digicam5-

if you read carefully in the Samsung user forums, you will hear/read more than a few complaints about image quality on the NX-10 at any setting over ISO 800. That made me drop my consideration of the Samsung NX-10 in a hurry after considering the user comments and looking at the photo samples.

Instead, I purchased the Olympus EPL1 and have been quite pleased with its high ISO performance. It came with the Olympus 14-42 kit lens and I purchased a Panasonic 40-200mm lens to go with it, that I received late yesterday afternoon.

Here, I have attached a test photo sample taken with the new Panasonic 40-200mm lens at ISO 1600. The image is straight out of the camera with no pp and no use of noise reduction software. Please just click on the link below.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ol...20_HQwp5-L.jpg

angshujit-

I still would like to know about your photographic background. But lacking that information, I believe that Alan raises an excellent point. Develop your photo skills with a super zoom camera first, before moving to a DSLR camera. Otherwise you might find a DSLR camera both difficult and discouraging.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:12 AM   #14

Hi mtclimber,

I do not have any photographic background. I used SLR (roll) camera few times only. Most of the time I used PS cameras. And that is whay (and according to your suggestion) I have already decided to buy a high zoom PS camera. I have gone through some sites to know about the performance of different PS cameras. Now I have a list of cameras.

1. Panasonic DMC FZ38.
2. Canon Powershot SX20 IS
3. Sony DSC HX1
4. Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD
5. Nikon P100
6. Olympus SP-600UZ / SP-800UZ

Among all these cameras which one you think I should buy? Please consider following things -
1. Quality of photographs in any kind of light (indoor-outdoor /with flash-without flash).
2. Shutter lag time.
3. Depth of field.
4. Long exposure shots

You may suggest any other model too.

Angshujit
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:00 AM   #15

sangshujit-

From your list of cameras, the decision is very easy indeed. Clearly, the Pansonic FZ-38 is the best choice. It has the best quality both indoors and outdoors, it has the least shutter lag, an excellent depth of field and is capable of long exposures.

The Canon SX-20 is a very physically large camera, it has become outdated, and it is limited in the ISO settings it can use due the noise showing in its photos. The Sony HX-1 was introduced in May 2009, and it will be updated this Summer. The color is washed out and, like the SX-20 it is an ISO limited camera.

The Fuji 2500 is another in a long line of S model cameras, but performance-wise it is well below the other cameras listed. The Nikon P-100 is a small improvement on the P-90 model. It shows noise in any photos from ISO 200 upwards, and at ISO 400 the noise destroys the clarity of any photo. While Olympus has a very good reputation with super zoom cameras, neither the SP-6000 or SP-8000 are competitive with other cameras in this group.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 2:21 AM   #16

Hi all,

Last saturday (1st May) I bought FZ-35 and I am vary happy with the camera. Though I have not checked all the functionalities yet but the IQ is vary good.

Thank you every body for helping me. I will post some pictures soon.

Angshujit