Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:15 AM   #1

Default DSLR or high zoom point and shoot camera

Hi all,

This is my first post. I want to buy a camera (obviously ) and need suggestion from you. I will use this camera in the time of my tours (specially in hills), social gatherings, or sometime for my mind refreshments. According to my budget I can buy Nikon D5000, Canon EOS 1000D (in DSLR) or Canon SX20 IS (in high zoom Point and shoot) camera. Now,

1. the image sensor is far better in DSLR cameras compare to PAS cameras so better picture quality.
2. Night shot or low light shot.
3. High Zoom (I have to buy () more lens if I go with DSLR).

These are some issues for which I cannot deside which camera I should buy.

Please help me.
Angshujit
angshujit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:31 AM   #2

angshujit-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

There yet another consideration that must be added into your camera selection search. That is your experience in photography. Your experience as a photographer is a large factor in determining what kind of learning experience you will have with your new camera.

In terms of camera complexity, the Canon SX-20 will be the easiest camera to learn with and develop your proficiency, the Canon 1000D will be more difficult to master and to develop an easy proficiency, and likewise, but even more so with the Nikon D-5000.

Cost is another element to be considered. The SX-20 has a 20X optical zoom spanning (in 35mm terms) from 28 to 560mm, and that lens is included in the camera purchase price. On the other hand purchasing a comparable lens for either of the DSLR cameras will be very, very expensive.

Instead, my sugestion would be to re-focus your search on the Canon SX-20, the Panasonic FZ-35/38, and the Sony HX-1 cameras.They are all good super zoom cameras. All feature long range zoom lenses built right into the camera, thus reducing both your cost and the size and weight of your kit bag substantially.

Good luck in your search and, as always, we are here to assist with information and advice based on experience.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3

To what mtclimber has said, I will add that, if your budget will only permit a D5000 or a 1000D, yet you want "High Zoom", be prepared. A good "High Zoom" lens for those bodies will cost as much as, if not more than the body itself. You need to understand than buying a dSLR is a long term financial commitment, and the cost of the body can be, and often is, only a small part.

From what you say, I think your requirements for a camera aren't very rigorous, and portability may be a a substantial advantage. I think you would be better served by one of the cameras that mtclimber mentioned than by either the D5000 or the 1000D.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:12 PM   #4

Just a suggestion if you are looking for a long zoom and great low light ability. I would look at the pentax k-x with the 2 lens kit. It will give you a 35mm eq of 450mm with the 300mm. And it gives you the best low light ability of the entry level dslr. In the states is 700 dollars for the 2 lens kit set up. And if you are in Europe it is about 730 euros.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:54 PM   #5

i'm also considering buying the new Samsung NX 10 over a PS camera like Sony HX5 but have not decided yet...any advice?

Last edited by digicam5; Apr 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:09 AM   #6

If you are looking at the NX10, I would look at the EPL-1 also. There is not to much info about how the nx 10 performs. And to be honest, I have not been impress with many of samsung own made camera. The older dslr's were made by pentax which were fine.

So if you are looking for a EVIL camera like the NX10 for 699, I would really consider the 599 olympus EPL-1. It will give you the whole olympus and panasonic m4/3 lens line up and with the 4/3 adapter the whole sigma and olympus 4/3 dslr lens line up.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 2, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:48 AM   #7

thx i'll check them out
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:05 AM   #8

I'd just like to add the following to TCav's and Sarah Joyce's advice...

If you start with a superzoom, when you've learnt how to drive it (especially using its A,S,M modes), and when & if you decide you want to move on to dSLR, it'll still be useful (a) as a backup for the 'best' camera and (b) for those occasions when you really can't be bothered to carry the body and some lenses with you.

The advent of small, light digicams was for me a blessed release from agonising over whether to cart around my film SLR and lenses, or whether to take the little breast-pocket Rollei 35 or Olympus XA, which had excellent image quality but restricted capabilities.

They enabled me to carry on good quality photography while still carrying round on my back the weight of firstly children and later all a family's junk, and latterly to keep up with a family that had become fitter and faster than me, but still unwilling to carry much weight!

So I've stuck with the small, light, cheap option, even as dSLRs have become cheaper, smaller and lighter. If you want the best quality, obviously you'll move on in due course. But you need to climb the learning curve gently.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:21 AM   #9

Alan T-

That is very good advice. Thank you.

Digicam5-

I had also looked at the NX-10, but with the ISO capability topping out at ISO 800, I have re-focused on the Olympus EPL1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:43 AM   #10

thx Sarah Joyce,

i thought it'd do well at high ISO because of the big sensor, can believe it is topping out at ISO 800 , what is then the big fuss over it ?!