Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:14 AM   #1

Default i need a camera for my child

i am expecting a child soon
i like the m43 idea
i dont need super quality images my printing will b mainly small
just need a good looking natural pic

my budget is 700 which i can stretch a bit
my options are :
gf1 + 20mm pancake but its pricey
epl1 kit + 17mm pancake will cost me about 830
samsung nx10 and wait for thier pancakes

most of my use will b indoors
i though of dslr but hesitated i dont want to look like a tourist in the street ( i live in egypt so no dslr in the streets it grapes attention )
iori77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori77 View Post
i am expecting a child soon
It will be a while before you child is able to take pictures...you'll have some time to think about which camera to give him/her...LOL

OK, seriously now, I'd go for the EPL1 w/o a doubt. It has a great sensor, comes loaded with features, it's fun, has built-in flash and image stabilization, shoots great movies, good low light performance and...the price is right! I've got it in my Amazon gold box for as low as $569 with the sharp (and compact) 14-42mm kit lens.

Now, that's for a DSLR type of camera. If you want to consider regular P&S, then there is a huge number of options to choose from.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It will be a while before you child is able to take pictures...you'll have some time to think about which camera to give him/her...LOL

OK, seriously now, I'd go for the EPL1 w/o a doubt. It has a great sensor, comes loaded with features, it's fun, has built-in flash and image stabilization, shoots great movies, good low light performance and...the price is right! I've got it in my Amazon gold box for as low as $569 with the sharp (and compact) 14-42mm kit lens.

Now, that's for a DSLR type of camera. If you want to consider regular P&S, then there is a huge number of options to choose from.
i seriously considered it
but backed off
af problems
expensive lenses system
no viewfinder
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori77 View Post
i seriously considered it
but backed off
af problems
expensive lenses system
no viewfinder
AF problems? Not really. Just too much talk about it but in reality, even the EP1 (first generation) has a pretty fast AF system as far as I'm concerned. After I bought the EP1 I failed to understand why people bashed its AF system so much.

Expensive lens system = Yes. Not only expensive but limited selection as well.

No viewfinder = Well, one can buy an EVF for the EPL1, which apparently is very good but, it's not cheap. Now, with that said, most P&S have no viewfinder either. Mostly long zoom cameras have an EVF, though. So, if you want EVF, then you either have to consider one of those super zoom models or the Panasonic m4/3 G1/GH1/G2/G10. The other option is to go with a true DSLR. They all have OVFs.

Tullio
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
AF problems? Not really. Just too much talk about it but in reality, even the EP1 (first generation) has a pretty fast AF system as far as I'm concerned. After I bought the EP1 I failed to understand why people bashed its AF system so much.

Expensive lens system = Yes. Not only expensive but limited selection as well.

No viewfinder = Well, one can buy an EVF for the EPL1, which apparently is very good but, it's not cheap. Now, with that said, most P&S have no viewfinder either. Mostly long zoom cameras have an EVF, though. So, if you want EVF, then you either have to consider one of those super zoom models or the Panasonic m4/3 G1/GH1/G2/G10. The other option is to go with a true DSLR. They all have OVFs.
well u have epl1 and dslr i assume
who do u really prefer
how does it compare in IQ ??
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:04 PM   #6

Bad assumption. I have the EP1 and the G1, both m4/3 (no other DSLRs) and I love them both. They opened up a new world in terms of options. Ever since I bought them, I've been buying great vintage lenses and having a blast with them. I don't believe I will go back to DSLRs. Give it about 3 years and most cameras will be mirrorless, similar to the m4/3. I had many DSLRs and to be honest, there's very little (if anything) that my DSLRs could do but my m4/3 can't (particularly the G1). My next camera will be a GH2 if Pana ever releases one or a GH1, which I believe is the best of all m4/3 so far.

Tullio
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7

Iorri77,

I have the epl-1 and a dslr, and depending on what I am doing and what I am shooting determine which camera I use. When traveling and running around, the EPL-1 is a much better choice then my T1i. But if I am shooting action, then the T1i is my tool. And yes you can get a EVF for the olympus. And it is very good. I just got mine in silver in Germany. It is razor sharp and super clear when using it.

The EPL-1 is a great small camera. The AF is very good. The complaint people said about the oly AF is not founded. Yes it is not as fast as a DSLR, but it is not a dslr. As having also point and shoot camera, the AF system is actually very good. Granted the panasonic lenses are faster focusing then the olympus lens. But that is because panasonic has faster motors in their lenses. I use the panasonic 45-200mm with my epl-1 and it focuses very fast for a non dslr.

If you want to see my impression of the epl-1 you can check out my thread. It hits on allot of the points Tullio pointed out.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Iorri77,

I have the epl-1 and a dslr, and depending on what I am doing and what I am shooting determine which camera I use. When traveling and running around, the EPL-1 is a much better choice then my T1i. But if I am shooting action, then the T1i is my tool. And yes you can get a EVF for the olympus. And it is very good. I just got mine in silver in Germany. It is razor sharp and super clear when using it.

The EPL-1 is a great small camera. The AF is very good. The complaint people said about the oly AF is not founded. Yes it is not as fast as a DSLR, but it is not a dslr. As having also point and shoot camera, the AF system is actually very good. Granted the panasonic lenses are faster focusing then the olympus lens. But that is because panasonic has faster motors in their lenses. I use the panasonic 45-200mm with my epl-1 and it focuses very fast for a non dslr.

If you want to see my impression of the epl-1 you can check out my thread. It hits on allot of the points Tullio pointed out.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html
thanks 4 replying
mmm
i wont shoot action
i will shoot my child, my family, may b a natural scene
but no wildlife not speed cars no action i dont intend to b a pro
and on the other hand i dont travel alot either
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:05 PM   #9

Glad to help. Just know that there is not such thing as the perfect camera. It is all compromises to see which one it the best fit for your needs