Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:54 PM   #11

Thanks! I did check out some sample pics of HX5, but they're mostly of landscapes, buildings etc. I would mostly be photographing people. So, I'm not sure how it would perform in terms of portraits. I bought a Sony last year (I forget the model), and it was not a sharp picture at all! I returned it and ended up with the Panasonic FZ35. I understand the Panny ZS7, Canon SX210 have had less than favorable reviews which is why I'm considering the HX5. BUT, on other forums many have complained about the IQ of HX5 as well. At this point, maybe I should just do eenie meenie minee moe!
bbq797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:46 PM   #12

The zs3 has really nice IQ I have seen it first hand, and is very sharp with the leica lens. I have not had a chance to look at the zs7 first had, but they do say the zs3 has higher IQ then the zs7.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:43 PM   #13

shoturtle-

You are indeed correct. The outdoor image quality of the Panasonic ZS7 is less than that of the ZS3. That was the determination of the review completed by www.trustedreviews.com.

Where the real problem is with the Panasonic ZS and ZR series is with that very tiny, very weak, built-in flash unit that has really pulled down the indoor image quality.

That is why the Sony HX5 is a better choice. It has a better built-in flash unit, has very good high ISO capabilities, and produces a great HD video with its enhanced or Active Super Steady shot system.

The only work around that is possible with Panasonic's ZS and ZR series is to use an accessory slave flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:06 AM   #14

Sarah,
Can i ask a question as i know you have a wealth of knowledge and experience, why is it a manufacturer like Nikon can produce top class DSLR's with quality Nikkor glass but cant quite seem to reproduce the same desirability in its P+S line up??
the S8000 looks like a really nice piece of kit which probably wont take off like the comparable Panny's and Canon's and Sony's, why is this??
Thanks if you can share anything.
Lee.W
Lee.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:49 PM   #15

Lee-
Nikon made a corporate decision that their destiny was firmed attached to their DSLR line of cameras. Therefore, that is where they have placed the R&D budget.

Nikon's P+S line has been very marginal for 4 years now, with nothing that is competitive.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:31 PM   #16

Thanks Sarah, I will have a closer look at the S8000 & s6000 before i make my mind up.
thanks again
Lee.W
Lee.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalmom View Post
I'm leaning strongly towards the Sony HX5V -- just trying to figure out if there's a store in my area that carries it/has it in stock, as I'd like to physically hold it in my hands before ordering it on Amazon.
Opalmom...
Don't know where you are located but checked BestBuy since they aree so universal. Appears they may carry the HX5, however, when checked online was instock at only one of the six stores in my area. You may want to check your area.

Also, while you are in BestBuy, check the Canon S90 which would directly compete with the HX5 in the same price range.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Also, while you are in BestBuy, check the Canon S90 which would directly compete with the HX5 in the same price range.
It should be very easy to choose between these 2 cameras due to their vastly different feature sets. If you can live without the zoom, GPS, HDR and sweep panorama modes, then the S90 is definitely the way to go.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 8:03 AM   #19
dkl

Hi,

I'm also looking to upgrade either ZS7 or HX5 from my Canon SD800. I saw a youTube side-by-side video review (day and night) and the ZS7 was much clearer.

In that review it said the ZS7 (maybe all CCD cameras) have this vertical line from very bright sun or reflections - is this normal and how to fix it? HX5 don't have this problem since it uses CMOS.

I hope it's ok to post links:

side-by-side (vert line at ~4:00):
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...18/O0thHaeUnNk

Shows vertical line:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...10/uoC-o_Lpd-g

Last edited by dkl; May 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM.
dkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 10:50 AM   #20

dkl-

That vertical line is a problem when shooting directly into the sun or a strong light source and it is a CCD problem. Avoid shooting directly into the sun and you have excellent video.

Sarah Joyce