Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:34 AM   #1

Default Which 1080p camcorder to buy? [~200 ]

Hi guys,

I've been reading on this forums a lot and already found a view reviews/comments on some of the models that interest me.

So far I've noted those camcorders:

Aiptek PocketDV AHD H5 Extreme [160]
Sanyo Xacti GH1 [205]
Toshiba Camileo H30 [175]

I should mention that I dont like those pistol style designs, so they are out of question.

Its hard for me to find out the pros/cons of the mentioned cams. Are there other products that have better specs for the same pricerange?

The issue that's on my mind right now is whether it was a better idea to get a non-full-hd [hd ready] cam for the price or in other words whether I can get higher video quality [720p] when waiving the full hd standard?

I have to admit that I am pretty new to the camcorder topic and it seems pretty difficult to catch on.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Martin
xtc.sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:45 PM   #2
Banned

Personally I wouldn't buy any of them but if you must stick in that price range then the Sanyo Xacti GH1 without a doubt. Every Aiptek product is complete garbage and not even worth looking at. It's esentially a generic brand.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:53 PM   #3

First of all, thanks a lot for your answer. I also had in mind that Aiptek products never really stood for quality but there is a thread about that camcorder and it seems to be pretty good.

I couldnt find any info on the Sanyo GH1, so what is you statement built on?

What camcorder would you recommend in my pricerange?

Regards
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:38 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc.sanchez View Post
First of all, thanks a lot for your answer. I also had in mind that Aiptek products never really stood for quality but there is a thread about that camcorder and it seems to be pretty good.

I couldnt find any info on the Sanyo GH1, so what is you statement built on?

What camcorder would you recommend in my pricerange?

Regards
Well Sanyo has developed a reputation (and rightfully so) of providing the best picture quality at the lowest cost. Their top end model last year lacked proper IS and was deemed very user unfriendly. However, when mounted on a tripod or held steady in some other way, it had better video quality than cameras costing 2-3x what it cost. I don't know for certain that the GH1 carries on this tradition, but I imagine it would perform well for its price class. Sanyo is owned by Panasonic now by the way.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:46 PM   #5

And what would say about its specs? Are those better than the Aiptek's/Toshiba's? Can you recommend any other camcorder <250?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:59 PM   #6
Banned

Two of the big issues you are going to have at this price point are lack of OIS and lack of optical zoom. If you have these features at all, they are going to perform well below most users' expectations. Honestly you are better off buying a camera with good video performance such as the Panasonic ZS3, Panasonic ZS7, Sony HX5V or Canon SX210. The video quality will be on par with the camcorders in your desired price range and you will get a good, pocketable P&S camera to boot.
B|ackhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the answer but I dont need a camera, because I own a D-SLR and Im not planning to take photos with the camcorder. I thought the IS could be done afterwards with software?

So what do you think how much I would have to pay for a "real camcorder"? At what prices does it start?