Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:33 AM   #1

Default which digital camera to replace my Casio Exilim Z-750

Hi!

I'm thinking of replacing my casio Z-750 with a new camera. This new camera should be an upgrade to this casio. Main specifications i would like to have:

- More optical zoom than the Z-750 (5x or more)
- Capable of recording movies with 720p and without size limitation
- Capable of using the optical zoom during movie recording
- Also compact and light like the Z-750

I've seen the EX-H10 and EX-H15. The only minus is that the EX-H10 can not use the optical zoom during movie recording . As for the EX-H15 there is not enough information available, so i don't know if it will be able to use optical zoom.

Any other suggestions?

Regards.
jrosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:40 AM   #2

[QUOTE=jrosado;1074313]...I'm thinking of replacing my casio Z-750 with a new camera. This new camera should be an upgrade to this casio.../QUOTE]

I have used a Casio EX-Z750 since September 2005, and still use it occasionally as it lives in my everyday vehicle, charged & ready for action. It isn't used very often, as my main cameras are now cheap Kodak superzooms, which won't quite go in my shirt pocket like the Rollei, so they go with me whenever I know I'm going to do some photography. However, the only advantages they have over the EX-Z750 are excellent Electronic ViewFinders, and a longer zoom. They're bigger and need a little bag instead of a pocket.

A big problem you'll have in replacing the Casio is the viewfinder. Optical viewfinders have almost disappeared from small digicams, and this is a terrible loss. You're reliant on the LCD screen, and it needs to be very, very bright to be usable in all conditions.

After years of my complaining about it, I notice that my favourite local camera shop has started to note in its mini-reviews which cameras have LCDs that "can be used in sunlight". My wife, her mother, and my son have lots of trouble with LCD screen viewfinders that show you a beautiful reflected image of yourself, instead of the scene in front of you, whenever the sun is shining. On my old digicams, which they use, the optical viewfinder provides a solution to this problem, but now they are extinct.

Even on cameras that do have an optical viewfinder, you may occasionally need the menu system to alter its settings. If you've used the excellent flexibility to alter modes and and settings on the EX-Z750, i.e., if you want a fully-featured pocket digicam you'll find it hard to replace.

I'm quite jealous of the Rollei XS-10 that I bought for my daughter 2 years ago. According to my local camera shop's latest leaflet, the GE-A950 (5X zoom) might fit your bill, if you can find it. The Rollei CL-250 also looks very good. As these models never appear in these forums, I fear you may have difficulty finding them.

Good hunting. Let us know what you find!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:52 AM   #3

Hi Alan. Thanks for your answer. I think I've found the ideal camera to replace my Casio EX-Z750:

It's the Panasonic DMC-TZ10. Yes, it has no viewfinder, but that's not very important. Even on the Casio, i did not use it very much.

Last edited by jrosado; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Congratulations on your camera selection! Post some photos when you have a chance. We have a very active group in our Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Congratulations on your camera selection! Post some photos when you have a chance. We have a very active group in our Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, but i still don't have the camera This was the choice, but i would be buying it only in a couple of weeks