Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:58 PM   #21

And there is yet another approach: use a super zoom or bridge camera for the really long reach shots, rather than a huge lens like the Sigma "bigma," which is huge in its physical size. That is what I do. My DSLR lenses reach out to 200mm or 300mm. For long shots, pull out the super zoom. The FZ-35 reaches out to 500mm (just like "bigma") eableand if you want more zoom consider the Fuji HS-10, which can reach out to 720mm!

That strategy keeps the size of your kit small, light and manageable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:57 AM   #22

Decisions, decisions...

The more I read about m4/3, the more I like it with both the lenses and camera ending up more compact. But, for just a bit more width and height, I can go to the Pany GH1 with the well-reviewed "PanaLeica" IS superzoom kit lens ($1125) for less than PL1+superzoom additional lens ($1200). Given how much the Pana Leica costs separately, the GH1 is a steal; it's like getting the body for $300. The biggest advantage is I get the EVF built in (I've often found the EVF on my FZ5 to come in very handy in bright sunlight), and a much better built-in flash.

I guess I'm going to have to find a local camera store that carries both models and give it a whirl. Maybe my local Ritz/Wolf? (I feel kind of bad doing so, however, as there is no way I'd buy from there at a $300 price difference over Amazon or B&H.) I can't imagine there will be much handling difference between the Oly and Pana superzooms. At least I can get an idea of the size.

Of course, all of this depends on getting the Wife Acceptance Factor past the fact that either setup is 4x the price of an FZ35... is the additional IQ worth it? That is a decision I have yet to finalize, and it will probably depend on actually handling the different cameras.

SirWired

Last edited by sirwired; Apr 6, 2010 at 7:37 AM.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
I guess I'm going to have to find a local camera store that carries both models and give it a whirl. Maybe my local Ritz/Wolf? (I feel kind of bad doing so, however, as there is no way I'd buy from there at a $300 price difference over Amazon or B&H.) ...
As you should.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote