Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:09 AM   #1

Default camera for artist

Hi I am a decorative artist and need to upgrade my current Canon Powershot SD630 to something that is better at taking interior and low light shots. I have a hard time getting the detail of decorative wall finishes I have done. I would also be using the camera for video and would like to have the burst mode because I have some eagles on my property and want to get some better shots of them. I don't want to pay more than $400, which translates to $400 regular price, but will shop for much lower price.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by katers; Apr 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM.
katers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2

katers-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The new Sony HX5 camera may just fill your specifications quite nicely. It can shoot easily at high ISO speeds up to ISO 1600, and it can take a burst of 10 photos in a single second. The HX5 is selling for $349.

The only downside is the HX5 only has 10X optical zoom (25mm to 250mm in 35mm terms) and that may be insufficient for your eagles. However, I have seen the Sony HX-1 with 20X optical zoom (28mm to 560mm in 35mm terms) and the same fast burst speed selling for $399.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:47 PM   #3

You may also want to look at the panasonic FZ35 with the 18x zoom. It has allot fans on forum so there is allot of samples of the FZ35's hand work if you just do a quick search.

With the sony you can do a sweep panorama photo in the camera, where the camera will stitch the photo you burst into a finish pano product. There seems to be inconsistancy on how good this work vs taking multiple shots yourself and stitching them on the computer.

Also note that the 10fsp burst rate is a cool feature. But if you do use it, the camera is buffer locked for 12-16 sec after the 1 sec burst to write the data. So you can not shoot until the process is completed. But you can use it on the lower burst rate of 2 or 5fps.

But optically the 10x zoom of the hx5v is very crisp and clear. You can see some of the results on the impression of the HX5V thread.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:28 PM   #4

katers and shoturtle-

Here is a photo sample of an indoor/existing light HX5 photo sample. The HSP - hand sweep panorama mode works quite well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:53 PM   #5

Thank you I appreciate the suggestions. I will check them out now.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:45 PM   #6

Hi I am finally going to get a new camera this week and wonder if the Sony HX5 is still the best choice. I know things change fast in electronics.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:53 PM   #7

The sony HX5 is still a good camera, also look at the panasonic zs7. It is another good camera in the same price range.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:26 AM   #8

Two big factors that you didn't mention are:

(1) zoom requirements
(2) camera size

The HX5V is better than the ZS7 indoors but I would not call it "good" indoors by any means - especially if you need to capture detail. One of the tricks the HX5V utilizes in low-light is NR that wipes out detail for a better looking image. Most of us (including me) are completely satisfied with that but if you are specifically looking to capture detail, you may be disappointed. The 2nd issue is that the AWB does not work well at all which makes the HX5V a questionable choice for any regular indoor usage.

The Panasonic FZ35 is definitely worth a look or if you want something more compact and can do without the zoom, the Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:44 AM   #9

katers-

After once again re-reading this thread, I think that the Canon S-90 and the Canon SD-4000 with their greater low light capability and your $400 budget should also be placed into the consideration as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:21 AM   #10

I have been saving up so long to buy the Sony HX5, that now I wonder if it is still the best option or did something else come out.

Btw, I told several people about the Sony HX5 and they love it.