Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Default Compact Superzooms

Hi all

Later this year I'm fortunate enough to be heading out to Uganda, Kenya and Iceland and as a result figured that it's about time I got my hands on a good camera! As I'll be doing alot of travelling I think that a Compact Digital would be best for me and also a good zoom I imagine being very important to capture those amazing far-away shots.

I've been looking at the
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ6 (150 CometUK)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 (200 AmazonUK)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 (290 AmazonUK)
Canon Powershot SX200 IS (200 Jessops)
Canon Powershot SX210 IS (360 Play)

Another query I have is whether any new models will be coming out very soon. My holiday is around July and I'm wondering if I should wait until some better models come out?

As for those different models, what are your opinions between them, and also, do you know of any other models I should be considering?

As you can see, I have been led to believe that Panasonic and Canon are currently running the Compact Superzoom market, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thankyou very much in advance!

Awaiting your responses.

Mike
Sabre_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:08 AM   #2

Mike-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

The compact zoom market is one of the fastest growing market segments in the camera industry. Based on your interest in Panasonic cameras, you missed one that is rather outstanding. It is the Panasonic TZ65, which has features of both the TZ6 and TZ7. It is a very good camera outdoors, and it is very attractively priced. It is, as far as I know only available only in the UK.

The Panasonic TZ series does very well outdoors, but there have been numerous complaints about indoor image quality due to the very small and weak built-in flash unit on the Panasonic TZ, series in general. This can easily be remedied by using a small accessory slave flash unit like the one provided by Zeikos to provide added lighting.

The Canon SX-200 has not received very good professional reviews due to it pop up flash unit that deploys whenever the camera is powered on, irregardless of whether it will be put to use or not. The SX-200 also does NOT allow zooming during HD video filming.

The new Canon SX-210 overcomes the pop up flash problem, and now allows zooming during HD video filming. It also adds 2X of optical zoom, and 2mp of camera resolution. Though a professional review of the SX-210 has not yet been completed, In the professional review of the TZ-10, which added mps and introduced manual controls, it was found that the the new 14mp imager actually reduced the image quality from that found on the TZ7. There is a very good chance that the increase of mps on the SX-210 will also cause a decrease in image quality just as it did on the TZ7.

In the USA market the TZ10, SX-210, and the Sony HX5 compete against each other in the compact zoom market. The HX5 with its CMOS imager has very good image quality and amazing HD video quality, which features a brand new Active Steady Shot Mode in the HD video that virtually eliminates the jerkiness sometimes associated with video quite well.There is a thread with nearly 100 posts and photo samples in it on the HX5 in our Sony P+S Folder.

My suggestion would be either the TZ65 or the HX5 as your best buys in this camera class.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:24 PM   #3

Default Wow!

Just taking a look at the TZ65 and it looks like a fantastic deal at 150!
What are the actual differences between the TZ6 TZ7 and TZ65?
From what I am aware, they all shoot exactly the same photos but the differences are:
The TZ6 has a slightly smaller, slightly lower quality screen, and does not shoot video.
The TZ65 has the same large high quality screen as the TZ7, and does shoot video, but no in HD.
The TZ7 shoots video in HD.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:49 PM   #4

I think the Sony is out of my price range really. I think with the speed camera technology is moving forward, I shouldn't really be spending over 200 on a camera.
Therefore, the question comes down to the TZ65 or the TZ7.
Regarding the video quality, I don't think that I would use the video that much, and therefore the TZ7 HD video should not be something that sways this decision too much, considering there is a 50 difference between the cameras.
I have heard though, that the TZ6/65 contains a different sensor to the TZ7 and I would like to know what affect this has on the camera?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:20 PM   #5

Mike-

Actually research says that the TZ65 actually uses the TZ7 imager. That is what makes such a good buy.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:24 PM   #6

Hi there. Have just ordered the TZ65 on the Currys website for 149.99 including delivery. Can't wait!
Thanks for your help.
Mike
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:31 PM   #7

You are very welcome, Mike-

Thanks for visiting our Forum.

Sarah Joyce