Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Default PS A560 Replacement ($100-200)

I have had the Canon Powershot A560 since august 2007. Prior to that we had a kodak easy share (cant remember exact model, we used it from about 2003-2007), which we liked also.We have been pretty happy with the A560, although I have had some real problems with the batteries. When I put in new batteries it will take maybe 20-30 normal pictures and then it takes pictures out of focus off and on until I replace them.

I primarily use this camera to take pictures of my 4 year old, she is always on the move so most shots are action shots. My husband especially, also enjoys using it to take nature and landscape pictures and it has worked ok for that for us. I end up taking most of the pictures of my daughter outside because indoor shots have always turned out terrible for me especially in my apartment which doesn't have a lot of natural light. We are interested in learning more about photography but in the time we have had this camera we have never ended up finding time to mess with the more advanced features so we could probably live without them.

We are looking to replace this camera because the lens cover is cracked and it no longer retracts on it's own, it has to be gently pushed back after turning the camera on. The lens has gotten very dirty from this and maybe scratched and it rarely takes nice pictures anymore. I would be fine with the exact same camera (without the battery issues and as long as it was cheaper than when I bought this one) but I figured maybe in the past few years something in the same price range has come out that offers better features or picture quality.

Our price range for this is $100-200. The camera has to have an optical viewfinder, video is lowest priority, we rarely make prints at all and almost never above 8x10. I usually end up turning off the flash, I am not sure if this is a standard feature but its one that I need to have. We do not have any particular brand loyalty but since I expect a digital camera to last at least 2-3 years of hard use sturdiness is an important factor (this cameras lens cover broke when it got dropped, which happens way too frequently but it has held up to being dropped very well).
Lady Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:37 PM   #2

lady amalthea-

Welcome to the Forum. We delighted that you dropped by.

One of the few camera left with an optical viewfinder and it your budgeted range is the Canon SD-1200. You might want to check that one out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:11 PM   #3

Hmm, there are some complaints about the image quality in the reviews on amazon. What if I said instead that I will accept no optical viewfinder and that the highest priority is image quality?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I really appreciate it I am scanning through old posts in this forum to see if I can find someone else who has asked for a similar recommendation to see what I can turn up as well.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Lady Amalthea-

That opens up consideration of the Sony H-20, priced here in the USA at $(US)199.00. It has 10X optical zoom in a small physical format. It has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact flash class of cameras. The H-20 also does HD video and you can zoom while filming.

Sarah Joyce.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5

Where can the sony h-20 be purchased for $199? Everywhere I see (from amazon and google shopping) is $250+. Am I looking at the correct camera here? http://www.google.com/products/catal...0&os=sellers#p
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:49 PM   #6

As the available inventory of the remaining H-20 cameras has dwindled, that price has increased.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:02 PM   #7

It looks like exactly what I am looking for but the extra $100 price tag I'm finding most places kind of takes it off the table unless there is somewhere I can still find it for $199?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:47 AM   #8

Three weeks ago it was selling at $199.

Sarah Joyce