Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:06 PM   #1

Default General question: Resolution & pic size

Hi folks, this is my first post and hope to make friends here
My knowledge and experience on photography is really shallow but I decided to buy a camera and start learning
I want to buy a digital camera but I am not sure if I understand what I want ( or even if what I want actually exists )
- Because I want to use it for taking photos and publish them online I think I need a camera where both
a) picture size
b) resolution
can be adjusted

My first question:
Is it possible to find a camera where I can choose both pic size and pic resolution?
I hope I am understood - and thanks for your help
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:22 PM   #2

Welcome to Steve's. I hope you'll have good luck finding what you need here. I always have.

In general, the higher the resolution of the image sensor, the larger the prints you cna make from it without pixelation reducing image quality. So a cammera with, for instance, an 18MP image sensor can create bigger prints than a camera with a 12MP image sensor, which, in turnm can create larger prints than a camera with an 8MP image sensor.

Other factors can come into play, like the lens being used, and the camera's high ISO performance (in situations where a high ISO setting might be used), but the raw resolution plays a big part in what you're looking for.

What types of photos do you want to take?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:29 PM   #3

But, more MP does NOT mean a camera is better. Not by a long shot.
Also - what do you mean by 'publish photos online'? If you mean the photos you make will only be viewed on a computer monitor than any camera on the market today is capable of creating such photos as you need less than a 2mp camera to create photos for on-line viewing only.

As TCAV suggested, if you could provide more information about what photos you plan on taking, whether or not the photos will be printed or just viewed on line it will be easier to help find a camera that fits your needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
...- Because I want to use it for taking photos and publish them online I think I need a camera where both
a) picture size
b) resolution
can be adjusted

My first question:
Is it possible to find a camera where I can choose both pic size and pic resolution?...
As other posters have suggested we really need to know what type of photos you plan to take and what size of camera you envision.

However, in direct answer to your question most current cameras at or above $160 MSRP can adjust picture size/resolution (done together) and around $300 MSRP one can generally control file compression (size) as well. This feature is NOT required for web posting as these factors can be accomplished handily with post-processing software on your computer. Virtually everyone posting photos on this site shoot at full size/resolution and then resize afterwords for the specific site and/or usage.

If learning photography is really a high priority I'd suggest a camera that has (A)perture priority, (S)hutter priority, and (M)anual exposure controls. Most cameras at or above the $300 MSRP price point have this feature.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote