Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:58 PM   #1

Default Need help and advice to buy cameraI need some suggestions to buy a new P&S camera

I need some suggestions to buy a new P&S camera. I need to find a better replacement for my old Nikon.I have read many reviews and discussions and I have narrowed down my selection to these cameras.

Panasonic ZS3/TZ7, ZS7/TZ10, FZ35 and Sony HX5

I read many positive reviews for all the above along with their own specific disadvantages.I had intended to go with the ZS7 in the beginning, but some negative reviews that appeared in the forums regarding the image quality had made me to think again. Now I am confused on which camera would be a better choice.I don't intent to change the camera I buy for the next 2 years.I travel a lot and I need one which takes good quality images and HD video along with a nice Macro mode.

Some advice from the members will be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Pixello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:11 PM   #2

The FZ35 has add on option. But it is a bigger camera, has very good macro and the option off adding conversion lenses that will give it even better macro ability. The FZ will give you more ability then the other 2 models mention.

The ZS3 is a very nice little camera. And does a great job in the out doors, not to sure. The HX5V seems like a pretty good camera so far, not sure about it's macro ability either. Think the sony is a bit better in low light the the zs3.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:26 PM   #3

Thank You! for your reply.

I have seen the images from FZ35 and they are wonderful.

I would like to know how the Sony HX5 image and video quality compares to the FZ35 and also with the ZS3.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:31 PM   #4

I would check out this thread on the sony hx5v, the iq is pretty nice.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:36 PM   #5

I have the FZ35, and as far as point and shoots go I really like it, I've even started to learn to shoot in manual on it, I feel like I get pretty good shots and I love the zoom as well as the macro.

Here are some different shots I've gotten with it

Macro

This is a macro close up

of this ribbon

And the 18x zoom at the zoo
I think this is pretty good for being zoomed so far, and when you crop it, you can see the elephant's eye lashes

las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:55 PM   #6

Thank You! shoturtle for the link

I have read about the aggressive NR of the Sony HX5V that might cause a reduction in image detail. I have no use with the GPS, but i am wondering if the Panaroma mode and Hand Held Twilight mode are really as good as its mentioned in the reviews.

Does the CMOS sensor really make a noticeable difference in images?

Thank You! las7828 for uploading those images of FZ35.They all look very good.

Last edited by Pixello; Apr 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:52 PM   #7

cmos make it a bit better for HD. But the boat is still out weather the cmos is that much better the the cdd senor for point and shoot cameras. They do make quite a difference for dslr's. But not 100% sure if the advantage in photo is that great.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:08 PM   #8

Pixello-

Perhaps I can help you as I own both the Sony HX5 and the Panasonic FZ-35 both. If you can easily handle the added size of the FZ-35 you will rewarded with added image quality.

As you can see from the attached photo, the HX5 (shown on the left) at 6 ounces is much smaller and more convenient as a travel camera than the larger, 14 ounce FZ-35, shown on the right.

The CMOS imager on the HX5 does indeed pay off in image quality dividends. It is the CMOS imager that makes possible the hand sweep panorama and the twilight mode, both of which are very real, and very useful features.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:10 PM   #9

Pixello-

Here is an example of a hand sweep panorama take in Sydney Harbor.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:25 AM   #10

@Sarah

Thank You! for the comparison between FZ35 and Sony HX5v. The uploaded picture helped me a lot to have an idea of the dimensions and portability of both the cameras. I rather go with best image quality than full HD video. The bulky size of FZ35 might be a small problem but i think the other great features of this camera more than well adds up for it.

The sweep panaroma shot looked wonderful. That is one really cool feature.

Thank You! once again for uploading the pictures. I highly appreciate the help and advice.

@shoturtle

Yeah, I was also not sure if CMOS does make a difference. But now as Sarah points out above, it does help in adding some really good features as far as the Sony HX5v is concerned.