Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:03 PM   #1

Default Sony HX5V vs. Panasonic FZ35

I used to own the ZS3 and still have the TZ5. So I am used to the Panasonic colors and contrast if it where.

Now recently I got the HX5 but I am not so happy with the picture quality, it seems a bit bland and washed out.

On the Sony I am missing all those AF tracking and other options that the Pannys have. (like when shooting kids they move along the Panny stays on focus and follows the subject).

The Sony has other nice features such as the Hand Held Twilight settings etc.

Since I also want to use the camera to take videos, the video quality is a factor also (only for home movies though).

The Panasonics have this habit of leaving a vertical white line when filming light reflection (this is corrected in the pictures though).
The Sony does not have this problem.

GPS is not a big deal to me.

I have been intrigued by the FZ35 for its zoom and features and one can add filters to the lens helping with other shortcoming maybe.

Size wise both types would work for me.

A real DSLR would be to bulky to carry around with the zoom options of the 2 contenders above. And maybe also to pricey.

I still have my old Minolta X 700 35 mm film with a nice 35 -300 zoom, but it hasn't been used in years.

I like to hear some of the users opinions which camera might have a better range, quality etc.

Thanks

Martin
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:03 PM   #2

The FZ35 will give you more options with the ability to add conversion lenses to it. It is a bigger camera. And a very impressive zoom. Saw allot of same in the panasonic forum, and they are really good samples of what the FZ35 can do. It also give you allot more manual controls into the shot. While the sony is a pure point and shoot.

The HX5V seems pretty nice of a little pocket camera, with a respectable 10x zoom. Think the 10fps for 1sec burst is a cool feature, but not sure how useful it actually will be. It does have pretty good low light ability form the first impression thread on the HX5V.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:20 PM   #3

Martin-

I have attached a photo showing the HX5 and FZ-35 cameras, side by side. The disparity between the two is substantial. The HX5 weighs 6 ounces. The FZ-35 weighs 14 ounces.

The FZ-35, though larger, is capable of more image quality, and its longer zoom is also very useful. However, the HD quality is higher on the HX5. So, there are indeed some trade-offs to be considered. The HX5 has better high ISO capability than the FZ-35. I own, like, and use both cameras.

The FZ-35 replacement, due out in the Fall 2010, will probably have a CMOS imager with the added features inherent to the CMOS imager. I take very little HD video, and have no use for GPS. My #1 priority is image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:25 PM   #4

@mtclimber
Thanks for the picture. Always full of information and advice - highly appreciated, also all the other threads you visit.
It's not going to be an easy decision, but I rather start with the best picture quality, then enjoy the added video. After all its about taking pictures with that camera.
And I think the FZ35 is even better then the ZS3, even though they have the same sensor I believe. Maybe a better lens on the FX35.

Looks like you own both cameras, so how would you rate the or have color accuracy and contrast of either one.

@shoturtle
Yes the low light is pretty good on the HX5, really like the Twighlight mode for dark / night scenes. Took some pics and they come out alright. Just missing some full bodiness of the picture from the Sony, the thing that makes the foto pop.

Last edited by mamuco; Apr 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:40 PM   #5

Martin-lash unit

I also own the Panasonic ZS3 and I can tell you that (a) the image quality of the FZ-35 is measurably better than that produced by the ZS3. (b) the indoor image quality of the ZS3 is poor at best due to the very small and weak built in flash unit. By far the FZ-35 is the better choice.

I find no faults with the HX5. It performs as it was designed: as a travel zoom point and shoot camera. I have attached a HX5 Sunset photo that I just took.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:22 AM   #6

Sarah,

very impressive shoot indeed. Like the red sunset colors.
Do you recall any special settings on that shoot, P mode or Intelligent Auto Assist?
The Sony doesn't have a sunset mode like the Panasonic has...

Never mind, downloaded the pic and looked at the EXIF data
normal mode; 1/125; f/10.0; exposure -0.7; lens 3.6; metering: pattern

How do you downsize the picture from the original to the right size for posting on here and not loosing much quality?

In any case, I just have to take more pictures and experiment with the settings and ev.

Thanks again for your insight and samples.

After looking at all the option and size I will stick with the HX5 for right now I think. It's a bit more handy when traveling with family and kids and easy to pull / stow and also gives me good video quality.

One a new FX comes out I can take a fresh look at changes in sensor etc.

Last edited by mamuco; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: EXIF data reading
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:39 AM   #7

Martin-
The Panasonic FX-500 is still a very good buy at $200 here in the USA. It has great image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Martin-
The Panasonic FX-500 is still a very good buy at $200 here in the USA. It has great image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Sorry I meant when the new FZ comes out later this year, not FX - my typo

How do you downsize the picture from the original to the right size for posting on here and not loosing much quality?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:48 AM   #9

most editing software will allow you to resize.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:15 PM   #10

Default decided on FZ35

After using the HX5 for about a week and looking at the pictures and video I decided to return it and go with the FZ35.
Tried the camera in my local Frys and it handles pretty well, is light and not to bulky.

I never got comfortable with the HX5 picture quality and menu settings. No quick menu, no AF autotracking to follow a active child around and just to change the ev takes a lot of steps I find. I find the pictures all a bit washed out and not as sharp.

Video during the day is ok, but in the dark it has to much noise I find.

So even the FZ 35 is a bit bulkier, the hopefully better picture quality makes it worthwhile. Sometimes you can take a pic just once and then it should be as best as can be considering all things.

For a pocket-able P&S I can always use my TZ3