Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:26 PM   #11

jamelvin-

Now please take a look at this attached photo. The savings on this camera is just about $100.00. That has to make ordering worth it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:39 PM   #12

Wow, that's a pretty good discount. How is the flash on this camera? Also how does the startup and shot to shot time compare? thanks.
jamelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:19 PM   #13

jamelvin-

All the data you ask about are available in the professional reviews. Doing added research and reading the professional reviews gives you added information and even confidence in the camera. So please do not shy away from reading the professional reviews.

Yes, that is a very substantial discount that I pointed out on both of the cameras. The start-up time on these cameras is less than two seconds and the shot to shot time averages 1.5 seconds.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:02 AM   #14

Thanks. I've checked reviews on the other cameras but not on the Samsung because I thought it was out of my price range and haven't had time to do much looking.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:38 AM   #15

jamelvin-

Now that the Samsung HZ15W is within your price range do a bit of added research so that you can be confident that you have looked carefully at each possible camera. Good Luck!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:28 AM   #16

I've had a chance to look through some of the HZ15W/WB550 reviews. I'm somewhat concerned with the flash. Is your finger covering the flash really a problem? How much weaker is the flash than on the SX120? I assume it's faster recovery, is this correct? How does the image quality and stabalization stack up against the SX120? There's not much information out there on how they stack up since they're considered in a different class, which I guess says a lot.
thanks again!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:53 AM   #17

Default Flash Recovery

Since you seem concerned about this, lemmee throw in a few thoughts. You may know that flashes don't DUMP all the stored energy when they go off. They only use what's required mainly based on distance to subject. and different type of batteries will influence the time. NiMH seem to be the best with unconfirmed word that the eneloop design is better still. however, lower capacity may mean it's a wash for you.

So, unless you did the tests yourself under controlled conditions, I wouldn't put too much faith in observed recovery times. A partially discharged battery will charge up real slow. No matter what, stay away from alkaline.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:07 PM   #18

jamelvin-

Well, Frank passed on some really good information about battery condition and how it can adversely affect the built-in flash's recovery/charging time in the Canon SX-120.

Regarding the Samsung HW15Z, the built-in flash is a bit weaker than the flash on the SX-120. Recovery/charging time is faster because a Lithium Ion battery is used. The image quality is very equal to the Canon SX-120 and the IS system also equals the SX-120. So, other than the different battery it is just about a "wash" between the two cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:08 AM   #19

Frank, I have been mainly using rechargeable batteries with the Canon but they may be wearing out. My number one concern is image quality and I've read reviews that aren't very impressed with the Samsung's quality. Sarah says that the quality is about the same. It sounds like to go from the SX120 to the HZ15W I'd give up some flash power in exchange for a quicker flash, hd video & zoom and a smaller size. I'm leaning towards returning the SX120 and ordering the HZ15W from Amazon. I've never ordered from there, how hard is it to return an item with them?

thanks again.

Last edited by jamelvin; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:28 AM   #20

jamelvin-

Amazon has a no questions asked, no fees, 30 day return policy.

Sarah Joyce