Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Vivek-

The bottom line, at least for me, is simply this: I much prefer the image quality of the ZR1 and the 2nd generation OIS to the image quality provided by the ZS1, and I own both cameras. Deciding between the two cameras is really a personal choice. For what it is worth I have stated my feelings.

I personally think that to begin chasing more optical zoom is fruitless chase. In actual practice I find that I do not use the 8X to 12X portion of the zoom all that much. I would much rather have the improved/increased image quality and the much better OIS.

Sarah Joyce
Hello Sarah et all!

With all respect, I disagree about the limited usability of large optical zoom. I guess it's what you are after. I mean, as you said too, it is a matter of personal preference. I am looking forward to buy a compact with large zoom. I have just brought home the Nikon P100 to test - next week I will test corresponding ultrazoom cameras from Canon and Panasonic too.

For the Nikon, I have found the camera OK, pictures are not fabulous but no problem eather, HD video is of very good quality and the 3 display of 460,000 is very good. The camera is surprisingly light too ... But what has really blown me away was the 26x zoom. WOW!

Just think - out of my window, in my neighbourghs garden, quite far away, there was a cat, partly hidden in a bush. In a couple of seconds I had the cat in the Nikon machine, with max optical zoom: the picture was sharp and very acceptable quality given the distance. Handheld. Amazing. I have then tested the whole zoom range with satisfactory results. It starts with wide 26 mm and ends up somewhere high high up - I would have to look it up ... I have then tested with early spring flowers far away - my wife did not beleive the flower has not been taken as a close up or perhaps with a macro ....

As I am a traveling type - eg going to the Canadian Rockies this summer - I guess I could have a great time "shooting" wildlife with a zoom like this. I am curious how the other two I will test (Panasonic and Canon) will measure up. I have heard the optical stabiliser on Panasonics was great (Power o.i.s.) and Canon probably has slightly better picture quality?

Until yesterday, I was in the market for a small compact like the Pana ZS5 or the Casios's corresponding model or the Nikon S8000. Now, after having seen the possibilities of the large zoom - I have change my mind. It will be an ultrazoom similar to the P100 - or that one itself.

P.S. I am not saying the P100 is the best caerain the world - e.g. I was dissappointed with the relatively poor quality of low-light pictures - but I just say -trying the super-dooper ultra zoom was great fun - and speed and quality too.

Jaro
Jaros1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:45 PM   #12

Jaro-

The super zoom is an area in which we would like to see a wider variety of postings. Steve just finished his professional review of the Canon SX-210, Canon's entry in the compact zoom class. It showed reduced image quality over the camera that it replaced, the Canon SX-200, due to the use of the new 14mp imager.

The same was true for the Panasonic ZS7. The professional reviews show that again that new 14mp imager was the reason that the ZS7 showed inferior image quality to the camera it replaced, the ZS3.

There are no professional reviews of the Fuji HS-10 other than Photography Blog that was almost gushing. The FZ-35 has been very well reviewed, just as was the camera the FZ-38 replaced, the FZ-28.The same is true for the Canon SX-20. It has been reviewed multiple times.

The most popular class of zoom camera is the compact zoom camera. There has been no profession review that I know of for the Nikon S-8000 camera, so the compact zoom class seems like very fertile ground for additional information and reviews.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:59 PM   #13

Default Sarah

And the full HD video is much better quality than the FZ3's 720p.

and the FZ38 is a bit smaller - nice, but more difficult to hold.

Oh, forgotto say the POWER O.I.S. stabiliserin FZ388 isexcellent - much betterhan the Nikon.

Summary: NikonP100 has an absolutely fantastic 26x zoom. Really, it does. It is a newer camera with several fancy but nice to have functions (full HD video -excellent, very good "wickable" LCD and more). It produces acceptable quality pictures. Not good at all in low light.

Panasonic FZ38 is a quality crafted camera with excellent optics, producing very, very good quality pictures. The optical stabiliser works excellent and the whole objective is very good. It has many manual buttons and measures - too much for the point and shoot beginner, but I guess good for most of this Forum members. THei mod is big help.

In summary, I would be willing to pay good money for a follower camera to the Panasonics, which would keep the astounding optics and add longer zoom, full and best HDvideo and a better LCD.

Does Panasonic think of something like that?

Will be back with similar "pure amateur test" of the correponding Canon Superzoom.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:09 PM   #14

Default Top off - sorry

Sorry, I have just noticed the top part of my previous entry dissappeared and also there became some big spelling mitakes. I hope the summary gives you the picture anyway.

Sara, you asked about any profesional review of the Nikon S8000 - there have been some published here in Europe - do you want me to collect them for you? In general, people liked he cameras functionality and "slim design" but the phographs were not founf too good.

Jaro
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:38 PM   #15

Jaro-

That is what I have found out as well. The image quality on the Olympus S-8000 is not up to the expected standard.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:09 PM   #16

Hello Sarah
I got a ZR1 Zx1 (199) and I think is a great tool,I'm testing ...so exciting,so great camera..!
glaeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:57 PM   #17

Congratulations, Fabio-

The Panasonic ZR-1 is a good camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:58 PM   #18

Congratulations, Fabio-

The Panasonic ZR-1 is a good camera.

Sarah Joyce