Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Need a camera to capture Miami Nightlife

I live in Miami and I am always involved in the nightlife (clubs,bars,lounges,etc) I have always LOVED photography but I never really passed the average digital camera you can buy at Bestbuy for $150.

I am going to take my hobby to the next level and purchase a new camera in order to take shots crowds/women/people posing at club events and performers etc.

I was told by a few club owners that if my pictures were good enough they could send some money my way so that is a bonus

So here comes the tricky part, I was leaning towards buying a Nikon D5000 since its a nice camera and it is on a budget range.

I know the D5000 doesn't have an auto-focus motor in it so the glass I would have to buy would need to have autofocus and I've heard they can be pricy.

Please help me out on this one as I have been researching online for the past few days and have found very great info but in a general point of view.

Also what type of glass and flash/flash diffusers would I have to purchase in order to achieve the results I need?

Thanks ALOT
Nand1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:37 PM   #2

Nand-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Based on your previous experience, it is going to be a very substantial leap to the Nikon D-5000. You really need to know more about basic photography to get the photos that I think you might be hoping for in your outings.

You will need a good external flash (another technique to master) like the SB-600 in addition to the D-5000 and kit lens. If you are going to go without flash (another technique to master) that is going to take a fast lens like the Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens or a Nikon 35mm F1.8 lens at the least.

What kind of budget to you have in mind.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:10 PM   #3

Hey Climber thanks for the reply!

I have about $1,000 to spend on my hobby at the moment.

I plan on buying a refurbished one from Adorama as I see they have a D5000 kit for $524.95.

Any tips on where to buy a lens? This is going to be for fun untill I get the skills I need in order to even start showing pictures to people other than friends
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:15 PM   #4

Pentax K-x, it will give you better low light then the nikon. Add a metz 48 and sto fen defuser and you will have a very good low light camera. You may also want to look at the pentax 50mm 1.4 for those shots where a flash is not welcome. And with the 50mm 1.4 mated to the in body IS and 12800iso. You will have a very very good low light light set up.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:16 PM   #5

But if you go with the d5000, you will want to look at the sigma 50mm 1.4 or nikon AF-s 50mm 1.4 they are about 450-500 dollars. That way you will get a very good low light setup at 6400 iso if you can not use a flash.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:31 PM   #6

Turtle thanks a lot for the input!

Another question, since this will be my only camera I know I will be taking shots when I go traveling or when I go out taking pictures in broad daylight.

Will the Pentax K-x be as well rounded as the D5000?
Mind I have a $1,000 budget and I will push it to $1,250 if I have to.

Btw nice bike! I have a GSX-R myself
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7

Thanks, I actually have 4 bike right now., 2 suzukis, 1 bmw, and the honda.

The pentax is just as capable of a camera as the d5000. In daylight it is an excellent camera. The imagine quality between the d5000 and k-x for daylight shoot are almost identical. It comes down to which one's little differences you prefer. I find the nikon to be a bit to strong on their noise reduction, leaving the colors a little flat, while the pentax gives a bit on the noise to give you richer colors. But to see the noise you really need to crop in. And the AF system and sensor is slightly better imho over the D5000. Adorama has it for 519 with one lens. If you want you can get the pentax with a 2 kit lens brand new for 700 at abes of maine or amazon. The lenses are the 18-55 and 55-300mm with the k-x. Think is is a better reaching lens kit then the nikon 2 lens kit, 18-55 and 55-200 for 850 dollars.

I shoot the k-x on occasion and it is a very good low light camera. Actually slightly better the my t1i at 12800iso. It is a great dslr, up there with the canon T1i in the entry level market. The AF system is a bit slower then the canon, but seems ahead of the nikon d5000.

I shoot allot is very low light, and my brother's k-x is almost as good as my T1i, the k-x has a bit better imagine quality over my T1i, but the T1i can get a AF lock when no other entry level camera can get a AF lock in extreme low light. And I shoot without a flash allot of the time. With the external flash it is not an issue as there are AF ir assist beams.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:54 PM   #8

shoturtle-

I am not really sure that the Nikon F 1.4 50mm lens will work on the Nikon D-5000. However, I am sure that the Sigma F1.4 30mm will work on either the D-5000 or the Pentax Kx.

The Pentax Kx is an excellent camera out doors. Here is last night's (04/06) sunset taken with the Pentax Kx and the Pentax 50-200mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:20 PM   #9

Wow Climber that is a gorgeous picture! I feel as if I was there just by looking at it lol

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Where do you guys purchase your glass from? I'm in the hunt for a nice deal

Btw I have a sunrise shot I took with my Iphone -.- which didn't come out so bad after all
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
shoturtle-

I am not really sure that the Nikon F 1.4 50mm lens will work on the Nikon D-5000. However, I am sure that the Sigma F1.4 30mm will work on either the D-5000 or the Pentax Kx.

The Pentax Kx is an excellent camera out doors. Here is last night's (04/06) sunset taken with the Pentax Kx and the Pentax 50-200mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
There is a nikon AF-s verison. But it is 450 dollars. The sigma 50mm 1.4 will work also with the d5000 but that is 500 dollars.