Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:10 AM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ35 or Fuji HS10

Hi Folks,

I have used a Panasonic FZ5 for many years, & feel very comfortable with it, but the time has come to upgrade. Until recently my obvious choice was the FZ35, partly because I am pretty familiar with Panasonic controls & menus, I have faith in the brand, it has the best reviews, & generally I have been pretty happy with the image quality with the FZ5.
However, I am being tempted away from Panasonic by the Fuji HS10. What I like about the HS10 is the 30x zoom, 3inch LCD, 10fps burst, & the extra dedicated buttons for white balance, iso, focusing etc, which I believe you have to delve in to the menu to find on the Panasonic.
Would appreciate any comments from FZ35 or Fuji owners.

Thanks

Rob
Robbob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:44 AM   #2

hello Rob
I am no expert, but, I have had and tried numerous cameras over the past 5 years.
When i look for a new camera perhaps the latest thing out i tend to go to the store and have a hold of it see whats its like in the hand, and then try the menu's out, you sort of seem to know immediately whether your going to grow with it or not.
The HS10 on paper seems to have most things covered, what i would test first i think is how the "IS" works at 30x maybe??.
I think most superzooms seem to all do the job some slightly better than others.
The FZ35 is a good choice at a very good price at the moment, canon SX20is another good choice.
If you could be happy with 10x - 12x zoom maybe look at the panasonic ZS3 or ZS7 or the new Sony HX5 all good cameras and in a relatively smaller form factor, just an idea.
I will leave the real technical stuff to the pro's !!
Good luck with your purchase whatever you buy.
Lee.W
Lee.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Robbob-

Lee's idea is an excellent one. However, here in the USA we have a serious HS-10 inventory shortfall. The "test drive" scenario at your local camera shop is just not a possibility. Camera dealer's just cannot get sufficient stock of the HS-10.

In addition, they are selling the camera at full list price with no discounts at all, due the shortage of inventory. I am not sure but, you might find the same situation in the UK as well. According to the report that I have read, UK camera retailers like Curry's, are showing the HS-10 at ridiculously low prices on their websites rather safely as there is no HS-10 stock on hand at all.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4

Best price I have seen here in UK is 377.80 on Amazon.co.uk with stock arriving on the 12th.
I am very tempted but would prefer to see some professional reviews first.
Plus I wonder what Panasonic have up their sleeve for later this year.

Rob
Robbob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

HS10 hands down, in my opinion. It is an amazing camera.
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6

Default Low light on the Fuji

Its a great daylight camera, but its not great for low/light night photography, so I'm waiting for the next upgrade

Heres some sample pics from Fuji's website
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ges/index.html

Last edited by jalond; Apr 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Addition
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:58 PM   #7

jalond-

With the Fuji HS-10 priced here in the USA at $(US)499.00, the logical choice if your interests firmly lie with low light shooting, is to consider the Pentax Kx also priced at $(US)499.00 with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens.

Of course you would have to add a big zoom lens, but ISO 6400 is very usable on the Kx and you can just to ISO 12,800 in a pinch.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote