Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:41 AM   #1

Default eos 500d

Hi all, been looking at getting a dslr now for some time, and have been given a good deal on a eos 500 with lense. still not 100% sure if i want it or not tho. ive read some pretty decent reviews, but wondered if any of you would recomend it, or something else / better for my requirements etc.

basically i would be using it for pics of stars, (thought the iso the 500d can go up to would come in pretty handy for stars, although i havnt properly understood how the boost up to 12000 odd iso works?) landscapes and when i get a decent macro lense, macro of various things. mainly insects etc and my pets so reptiles etc. Shutterspeed isnt that important as i never shoot anything that fast moving. i did look at the 50d, but seeing as this doesnt have video and the only i might gain would be a hardier camera and faster shutter speed, for me the price for that just doesnt do it for me.

oh and the price ive been given is about 600 for the camera and lense. (new not 2nd hand etc)

so any suggestions?
should i take the offer or someone think there might be better.
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:12 AM   #2

For what you want to do, higher ISO settings wouldn't be a good idea. High ISO settings results in image noise, especially in darker areas of the image. That noise will obscure the stars you're trying to capture.

For what you want to do, I don't think there's a pressing reason to get the 500D. Any number of other dSLRs could do as well. I will add, however, that Canon (and Nikon, btw) rely on optical image stabilization in the lens. If you wnat to shoot macro hand-held, that is something you should think about. Canon only has one stabilized macro lens, and it's expensive. (Nikon has two, but they're also relatively expensive.) The Pentax K-x will do everything you want to do at least as well as the Canon 500d, plus it uses sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so any lens, including all the third party macro lenses, are stabilized. When shooting 1:1 macro shots, you should still use a tripod, but for 1:2 macro shots, having stabilization is better than not having it.

Sony also uses sensor shift image stabilization, so all macro lenses will be stabilized on Sony dSLRs as well, but Sony's dSLRs can't record video.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:55 PM   #3

I have the 500D, and it is a fantastic camera, it is a high end entry level camera. I also shoot the pentax k-x. Both are excellent camera. You really can not go wrong with either. Both have 12800iso. Canon the better AF system, pentax a bit better image quality at 12800iso. Canon lens base IS pentax body base IS so all lenses will have IS. Canon gives you more lens options. I would go down to the shop to see which one's ergo's fits you better.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:41 AM   #4

ok fair doos. cheers for the info. not having af in the body of the canon was one thing originally that might have put me off, i am now maybe moving slightly more towards the pentax. i can get for the same price as the canon with a lense, the pentax with 18-55mm Lens and a 50-200mm Lens and a couple of accessories. which to be honest, aint too bad.

so thanks for your help so far you 2. one thing ive seen on the pentax which id like to know more about if either of you know, ive noticed that the pentax has an hdr option. either of you know how this works in camera?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5

When you set it in the hdr mode, it will that a 3 bracket shot. 1 middle exposure, 1 under exposed and 1 over exposed. Then the camera will put them together to give you a finish product. You will want to use a tripod and the timer for this as the camera needs to line up the photo to create the HDR. Camera shake and miss alignment are not good for hdr cause by hand held shooting.

The built in hdr is a cool feature, but you can do that yourself too. Just set the camera to do a 3 bracket shot with a + and - 2/3 ev. And get a hdr software like photomatrix. It will give you more control over the hdr photo.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:42 AM   #6

yeah i have software myself and have attempted a few hdr pics on my computer, just quite surprised to see it had its own software for it built in. sounds interesting tho. def gna have to go get my hands on one and see how it feels before i order mind
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7

It is actually kinda cool, I am a lazy PP guy. And when I get to borrow my bother's K-x, I do the hdr shots with it. It will not give you the tone mapping and other stuff photomatrix or other hdr programs will give you. But it does a nice job for just hdr actually.

Just know that the lens base IS of the canon does perform better then the body base IS of the pentax. Not by much, but if you shoot in very low light, it can make a small difference.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:42 PM   #8

well if i do get it will def have to give it a try and im sure the difference wouldnt be as much to bother me