Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:04 PM   #11

shoturtle (great name),

you have been a great help and it's clear that you know what you're talking about. I assume that you're a professional..that's what I gather from the bit of information that you've listed.

thank you very much..i will look up the cameras you've suggested. My first good camera as an 11year old was an Olympus..so I have a sentimental fondness for that brand.
syuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:41 PM   #12

No, not a pro, just been shooting photos since I was 12. So almost 30 years with slr and dslr's.

I really like the olympus epl-1 it really a great little camera. And you can change lenses like a dslr. You can use panasonic micro 4/3 lenses and with a simple adapter you can use olympus and sigma lenses for the 4/3 dslr's also. So it gives you allot of control.

You can check out my report on the olympus epl-1 at this thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html

And Hards have some creative sample with the epl-1 on these threads

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...1-day-2-a.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...l1-thread.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: links
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:43 PM   #13

Wow...now I think I'm operating at a deficit. I've been printing 12' x 18" giclees that look quite good. I'm not set up to shoot with the kind of professional system you've outlined.

as I'm in a tech fog.can you explain what a micro 4/3 is? ..the other responder, shturtle also told me about the EPL1.Olympus..I assume. what's the GF!?

and thank you!
syuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:50 PM   #14

The GF-1 is another camera that uses the micro 4/3 format. Currently only panasonic and olympus makes micro 4/3 camera. It is a system that each maker sign up to, so that there products are compatible with each others. Sigma is also joining as a lens makers. As with m4/3 and 4/3 the lenses car compatible so to use the larger 4/3 lenses on a m4/3 body. You just need a simple adapter.

The GF-1 is an of panasonic's m4/3 cameras. The have the G1, G2, GF-1, GH-1 and G10 model. Olympus has the ep-1, ep-2 and epl-1 currently. Leica is also a sign member, love their products. But they are super expensive.

Also I added some likes to sample photo from the EPL-1 to my pervious post