Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1

Default artist (painter) needs camera for ref shots & RAW files

looking for a camera with plenty of zoom (37 - 105 is what I used for my film camera in the old days)

I take portrait shots, also landscape. My photography is largely used as reference for paintings.
I also need to take RAW files to shoot my finished work for repro.
I was almost convinced that I need an SLR, but I'm not so sure.

please advise! I wouldn't mind HD video included with a high end hybrid/bridge ( or whatever it's called) and prefer not to spend more than $500 if possible.
syuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:40 PM   #2

If you are looking for the best image quality, the dslr would be the way to go. And if you are making money off of it, the highest quality may be worth the investment into a dslr. What camera are you using right now or did with the 37-105 zoom?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:28 PM   #3

Hi...thanks for your concern. i'm a professional painter..often selling giclee repros..which is why I was told I should be shooting my work with raw files. as for my reference shots, i've been making out decently with a point and shoot panasonic lumix...but it's really only good for landscapes. he portrait ref I get with it is sharp but has some distortion. I have an older ( 8yrs, I think) 4 mp lumix. compact slr or hybrid...it's inferior in every way to my new p&s. My film camera is a canon EOS...I don't think I could give it away if I tried.

some of my pro photographer friends think I must have an slr. I'm not so sure I couldn't get the results I need with a camera like the Canon G10/11...or the new Panasonic DMC Z35. essentially.. need good, clear ref shots for portraits and landscapes. Zoom essential for coleup's of certain areas. f you are really in a big help mood...you can go to my website...see my work and what I do...and the substandard images that I have up in some instnces. I used to get everything professionally shot as chromes..costs a fortune and is inconvenient. I'd rather do it myself.

thank you thank you!!
Sarah sarahyuster.com
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:38 PM   #4

Well if you have any lenses form your eos, they will work on the new canon dslr bodies. So if the lens you have are good ones, it will save you some money. But you hit on a important point. distortion is an issue with all lenses. So that is why allot do not like on big lens that covers a great deal of range, and allot of dslr owners go with multiple lenses in different ranges to combat the distortion. Teh F35 is a great camera, but if your were to go with a point and shoot, the larger sensor of a g11 or s90 would be the better choice.

I take a look at your site. And get back to you. I is not a nice night out in NYC
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:54 PM   #5

RAW will allow you to process the photo to you desire liking and let you get more creative.

I looked at some of your painting, nice.

Were they taken with your point and shoot. I think you would get better results with a dslr for sure. The G11 or S90 will be better then what you have on your website. But I think they will not be able to capture as much of the details and brush strokes as a dslr with a quality lens.

Are you printing your art work for a catalogue or something along those lines?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:17 PM   #6

ah.attention, just what I need. ..sehr shön...danke! I've forgotten much of my Deutsch...so Ich möchte niemand quälen

anyway..I'm not printing a catalog.. just want good shots for repro..usually 12" x 18" but possible 24" x 36" on occasion. The better images on my site were taken with a graphics camera 5 x 7 chromes, then scanned. I think a good digital shot could bypass all that trouble and expense.

your advice is very valuable and I appreciate it enormously.

thank you again!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:27 PM   #7

Bitteschon

Since you are planning to print 24x36 you will really want to go with a dslr. The smaller sensor of a g11 or s90 will not give you the results at that large of a print that a dslr can.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:50 PM   #8

okay..one last question;

I can always have one of my friends shoot my work for me with their digital if I have an order for a 24 x 36 print. so..if you were to recommend one something a step down from an slr, what would it be? ..and if I were to get an slr..any recommendations? ..the lens on my eos film camera is a sigma zoom..35 -105, I think..and I lost the one it came with.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:55 PM   #9

The lens will work with any canon dslr.

I would consider a micro 4/3 camera. The sensor is 4x larger then the on in the s90. Something like the olympus epl-1. It is a very good little camera. And it is the same sized sensor as the ones in the olympus dslr's. Even at 12x18 you may be pushing the s90 or g11. Most small sensors are good up to 4x6 and 5x7. The S90 may be push to 8x10.

The EPL-1 sells for not much more then the G11 at 599 dollars.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:46 PM   #10
Super Moderator

if you are going to do your repro's yourself, you will need a DSLR, with a very good distortion free lens. ideally you would have a bracket setup and a macro lens that would be moved across the painting at a constant distance, you would then stitch together the images into a larger file with consistent light, etc. that is the real way to do art reproductions for sale.

if however, you are not going to do that, and just want something for reference or for pictures for website sale, you would need far less.

the G10/G11 would probably be ok, and the micro 4/3 are good choices as well, the EPL1 or the GF1.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote