Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:29 AM   #11

Thanks for the info.. It's really helpful..

I was having a look at the Fujifilm series with "Pro Low Light" mode, which seem to give good photos in low light situations. The photos posted are of acceptable quality to me.

I have especially been digging into the HS-10 and S-200 EXR, also their competitor Pany Lumix FZ38.
I know Sarah Joyce warned me against the S-200, but others seem to give it a good review.

Can someone tell me about these 3 models?

EDIT: On second thoughts, I don't think I'd be going for the FZ38, please tell me your opinions about these two: S200EXR and HS10.

Last edited by CraXJaX; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:00 PM   #12

Crax-

Just to keep the record factual, I warned that the Fuji S-200 required lots of small and continuous adjustments to get the most out of the EXR system. In addition, due to my eyesight, I found focusing at times difficult.

Between the Fuji HS-10 and the Fuji S-200, I personally feel that the HS-10 using a new CMOS imager has better colors, image quality, and high ISO capabilities. Photos at ISO 1600 look amazingly good. It is definitely worth the additional price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Crax-
Between the Fuji HS-10 and the Fuji S-200, I personally feel that the HS-10 using a new CMOS imager has better colors, image quality, and high ISO capabilities. Photos at ISO 1600 look amazingly good. It is definitely worth the additional price.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

If what you're saying is true, then my problem has been solved. I don't mind the extra bucks; I would definitely love to go for the 30x zoom and the new features like Motion Removal and Panning Panorama (the effectiveness of which haven't been reviewed yet, though)...

But could you please take a look at these two images: S200-EXR and HS-10.

If you view them at 100%, you'll see that there is excessive noise reduction in the HS-10 due to which the fine details on the note are invisible.. (I saw this at another forum)..

What I'm worried is that maybe HS-10's software (noise reduction, jpeg compression) could reduce the quality of an otherwise excellent photograph.

However, I've also seen some of the photos you have posted over at this link, and they look really nice..

If someone can just confirm that the H-10 clicks better pics than S200EXR, I will buy the H10 without further ado.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are helping a lot.
Regards.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:08 PM   #14

CraX-

I believe the difference is very subtle. A good deal depends on your own personal expectations and personal judgment points with regard to image quality. Personally I see the HS-10 as a major step forward, both technologically and photographically.

My HS-10 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, Monday, April 12th. So perhaps when I have a reasonable amount of hands on experience, I will moderate my present feelings. Only time will prove the outcome.

In the final analysis, we all have to purchase the camera that we personally feel that will perform and provide the image quality we have come to characteristically expect. So perhaps it is the S-200 EXR that will work better for you, while the HS-10 hopefully will meet my needs as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:43 PM   #15

I'm waiting for you to get it too, I would surely appreciate some expert comments about the HS10 before I decide to purchase it.

I also understand that availability is a big issue.....
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:52 PM   #16

If you push up your budget a little, you can get a micro 4/3 camera that is better in low light, where 3200iso is not bad, and 1600iso is just fine. The Olympus epl-1 can be found for $570 every now and then on amazon. And 599 every where else. It will give you more abilities the the G11 or S90.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:02 PM   #17

Unfortunately, $500 is the very top limit of my budget...

Also I'm not very fond of removable lenses, so that's a major negative sentiment against micro 4/3s.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:07 PM   #18

Well your budget covers all the bridge camera on the market. But like mtclimber said, the G11 and S90 would be the best for your low light needs.

Actually the with interchangeable lens you can get higher quality lenses. But with the G11, you can get conversion lenses that with a mount to give it more ability. Which is a very nice feature if your hobby is photography
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:32 PM   #19

Yeah, I was seriously considering both the G11 and Pany LX3.. But since I'm currently using a Powershot A720IS, it will be like a direct replacement for it. (Yes, the low light photography will be more awesome)

Whereas if I get an HS-10, for example, it'll be something to complement my compact camera. Some of the features like Pro Low Light mode are showing promise for my purpose...
Would you happen to know how effective it is? I have only seen whatever's on the fujifilm website, and i know that counts as nothing.

I'm also pretty excited about Motion Removal, Panning Panorama and Pro Focus Mode..
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:40 PM   #20

Sorry I have not seen any of the HS10 in low light shooting at Higher ISO. But there should be some coming up soon, as they are selling very well for just being delivered to the sellers.