Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:21 AM   #31

All in all, though it is pretty darned clear to me that the Oly EPL1 has much better image amd lens quality than the Fuji HS-10.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
All in all, though it is pretty darned clear to me that the Oly EPL1 has much better image amd lens quality than the Fuji HS-10.

Sarah Joyce
I trust your judgement, but it really doesn't help me because I need something under $500....

Can someone tell me something regarding Olympus SP800, Sony HX1? Are they in the same league as HS10?
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:36 AM   #33

for low light need, and good manual control, but no video. The G11 or S90. They have the largest sensor in that pns market. And will give you the best results for a sub 500 dollar camera.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:45 AM   #34

Now I would like to have dynamic range too..
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraXJaX View Post
Now I would like to have dynamic range too..
Four pages and I think we are getting into analysis paralysis here.

Everything is a compromise, but in you budget, the S90 and G11 are tops. Now just go out and do it.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:35 AM   #36

CraX-

Both the Canon S-90 and G-11, although lens limited (read:not much zoom) have excellent dynamic range.

The Sony HX-1 is a very interesting camera and a competitor to the Fuji HS-10. It was introduced in Summer 2009, so we will be due for a replacement in Summer 2010. It has excellent HD video and an excellent Sony G Class lens. The Hx-1 is capable of very good image quality. I have attached a night photo sample from the 4th of July celebration on SFO Bay in California.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:31 PM   #37

@tizeye:
Haha.. I thank you all for bearing with me till now.. But I request you to bear with me further, as I spend my hard earned money very, very carefully...

I stay in a place where returning something bought is nearly impossible... If I go out and purchase something and I don't like it, I have to live with it and the post-purchase dissonance will kill me.

About G11 and S90, I would like to go for a bridge model now, as I am planning to buy a compact later on.

@Sarah:
Thank you, but no EXIF again..
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:36 PM   #38

Crax-

As JimC mentioned earlier in the day(04/13). The Forum software has been garbling the EXIF information and rendering it unreadable The above photo was taken using the Twilight Mode at ISO 800. The HX-1 takes a rapid burst of 6 photos in the Twilight Mode and then, taking the best elements of each photo, the camera merges them into a single saved photo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraXJaX View Post
@tizeye:
Haha.. I thank you all for bearing with me till now.. But I request you to bear with me further, as I spend my hard earned money very, very carefully...

I stay in a place where returning something bought is nearly impossible... If I go out and purchase something and I don't like it, I have to live with it and the post-purchase dissonance will kill me.

About G11 and S90, I would like to go for a bridge model now, as I am planning to buy a compact later on.

@Sarah:
Thank you, but no EXIF again..
With the G11, you have the option of getting the conversion lens adapter, and adding a tc to give the G11 more reach. If the standard zoom it not enough. That is something that is not an option for the s90
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:11 PM   #40

CraX-

You may also want to read my report on the Fuji HS-10 (in the Fuji P+S Folder) after I made the camera-wide reset, that dramatically improved the lens sharpness and image quality.

Sarah Joyce