Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_loadwick View Post
@meanstreak

The scene I was setting was not to be taken so literally. It was just a typical holiday situation or safari or hike in the mountains or air show etc. And yes you can have your tele-photo lens on all the time as wide angle shots are rarely needed quickly but I was merely pointing out the hassle of carry 2,3,4 lenses around and having to change them every time you want a different focal length.
I generally do quite well with a 28-300mm zoom as a walk-around lens. Not as wide as I'd like, but many are happy with an 18-250mm as a wider walk-around solution. I bring the bag of lenses when it makes sense.

Last edited by meanstreak; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:10 PM   #22

TBH that is what I have. I have an A200 with a Sigma 28-300mm. And yes it copes well with most everyday situations. Problem from me is that is all I have, so wide angle shots are a photo-merger job.

For me though that is still too much of a compromise. Optically it’s not great. It’s pretty soft throughout the whole range, its neither wide angle nor super tele-photo, it’s pretty slow at focusing and is often ever so slightly out but its biggest problem is the glass is so slow. At 300mm its f-6.3 and a combination of the Sony A200 being God awful at anything above base ISO and the fact that the in-body IS is next to useless compared to a decent Optical IS on a lens means that you need a super bright day to get the best out of the lens.

My camera choice I was looking at was/is a Cannon 550D or 7D (as it shoots so much faster and much bigger buffer which are both very handy for HDR photos which is my latest craze) and this time I was going to have 2 decent lenses and put up with carry and changing the lens as and when needed. Lenses of choice were the Canon 15-85mm and 70-300mm. Although I did have a play in store with a 550D with the Tamron 28-300mm VR lens on it and it was such a nice pairing. The IS seemed to work really well but maybe that was because I am only used to the shite Sony IS and the fantastic ISO handling of the latest Canons gave some really fantastic shots.

But then there is the HS10. It’s a fraction of the price, just 1 thing to carry, much greater tele-photo and no lens changing. Plus 10fps is so sweet for HDR photography. I know the image quality will be nothing compared to the Canon set up but does it really offset all those other factors?

Decisions, decision!
p_loadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_loadwick View Post
TBH that is what I have. I have an A200 with a Sigma 28-300mm. And yes it copes well with most everyday situations. Problem from me is that is all I have, so wide angle shots are a photo-merger job.

For me though that is still too much of a compromise. Optically itís not great. Itís pretty soft throughout the whole range, its neither wide angle nor super tele-photo, itís pretty slow at focusing and is often ever so slightly out but its biggest problem is the glass is so slow. At 300mm its f-6.3 and a combination of the Sony A200 being God awful at anything above base ISO and the fact that the in-body IS is next to useless compared to a decent Optical IS on a lens means that you need a super bright day to get the best out of the lens.
I have the Tamron 28-300mm and despite mixed reviews I have had good results with it so I must have a decent copy. It is also not a great lens indoors or in the dark but I wouldn't expect otherwise. When I need something brighter, I plan ahead and carry what will work best.

The superzooms are a nice idea but if I'm gonna carry something bigger than a pocket camera, I would much rather carry a DSLR with a midrange lens so I can get decent low light results and give up the reach of a superzoom. For me it is easy to give up the because I grew up on film SLRs when prime lenses were more popular with the average photographer.

As for the Inbody IS, I have no complaints based on my KM 5D and 7D, hopefully the same will hold true for my A550.

I would love to buy a superzoom as a third alternative to what I use now and will defintely look at Fuji as I have been impressed with and own a couple of their pocket cameras. First I have to shed a few camera bodies I have kicking around.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:02 AM   #24

Maybe my IS isn't working properly, at 300mm i can't see a scrap of difference with the IS on or off. I can hear it whirring away but you wouldn't be able to spot which photo had it on and which did not.

do you not find that with your 28-300mm? I just figured i was asking too much from it as at such a large tele-photo zoom any tiny movement is massively exaggerated on the sensor and the CCD can only move a minuscule amount to compensate for tiny wobbles.
p_loadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:43 AM   #25

I think we are drifting away from "what camera to buy" and I'll be looking for another forum to discuss whether IS subtly lowers sharpness sometimes or anytime. It may even turn out to be YMMV.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:40 AM   #26

I believe that Frank is squarely "on target"-

This discussion belongs in the Sony DSLR folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #27

To return to Conrad's question: You need to have a handle on what you really want to do with a camera before sinking large amounts of money into equipment you may find you really don't need. Interchangeable lens cameras attract lenses like dogs attract fleas - there is no end to it. If you really need the extended reach, your options are narrowed considerably. If you don't, the choice is easier. Many outdoor dslr photographers carry either one body and a bagful of lenses to change as needs arise, or two bodies, each with a different lens. Long lenses are heavy and costly, costing more than the HS10 alone. If you are interested in bird photography, but not as a primary objective, you might want to consider this possibility - get the alpha 550 with the kit lens to use until you decide what other lenses you might need, and also get the HS10, which will serve two purposes: it will allow you to sample other focal lengths, and will serve as a compact lightweight long telephoto to carry along in lieu of a second lens. To get that long a reach with the a550 you will need a 500mm lens, which will give you an equivalent of 750mm, slightly more than the Fuji's 720 - as a Sony user you have the only viable AF option below $1000 (but still more than the Fuji), which is the Minolta/Sony AF 500 mirror lens. I have this combination, and the body, lens and vertical/battery grip weighs over 4 pounds - not much of an option for long hikes if you are a two camera person. The HS10 has been touted as a birder's camera, as it is supposed to accurately track rapidly flying birds, take a rapid sequence of in-focus pictures as it does, and has that extra reach beyond the 300mm maximum that most photographers have. I have ordered one myself, and hope it lives up to its advance billing. If you don't really need the longest reach, get the a550 and a Tamron 18-250mm all-around lens (which gets you to a 325mm equivalent) and forget the HS10.

Sarah, this thread was moved out of the Sony forum, presumably as it applies equally to the Fuji forum, and couldn't be in both.

And p_loadwick - please do not remove your posts as this leaves replies to nothing for readers who come along afterwards!

Last edited by penolta; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:01 PM   #28

Thanks, Penolta-

I now understand more. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
conradcjc-

you can purchase a Tamron 18-250 on E-Bay for around $350, rather than paying Sony's premium price.
Sarah Joyce
I'm interested in getting this lens to for the A550, but the cheapest on Ebay at the moment is 429.00 I did find a link to Crutchfield from Ebay for 329.00 but they are out of stock. They are accepting orders... assuming they will get them in that is a good price. They are also offering 10% off on that lens and other accessories with purchase of a digital camera. As luck would have it, I didn't notice that when I ordered my A550 and HX5V if they had the discount at the time. The 10% off doesn't apply to Sony lenses and I believe the 10% package discount doesn't apply to DSLRs, but if you need a digicam and some accessories evry discount helps.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:09 PM   #30
Administrator

It looks like a number of vendors are sold out now (for example, B&H is showing them backordered with no expected delivery date). My guess is that many users are leaning towards the newer 18-270mm VC lens now and distributors are not stocking the older model as much. Of course, that's just a guess (and Sony owners probably wouldn't care about a lens with VC). It looks like B&H is sold out of this lens in Pentax mount now, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote