Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:35 PM   #41
Administrator

Yes. If you mean this thread (see my response to your questions on the thread's last page)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ization-3.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:37 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Thanks, Jim. I use the black theme because the photos look better on that background - I imagine new users don't even know it is available. The highlighting works fine. This is the first time I have encountered this - I will have to remember that in the future.
Yep... I like the darker theme better, too. We thought about removing that choice (so you wouldn't have problems with text colors between themes). But, we decided to leave it in case others like me prefer the darker theme.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:38 PM   #43

oh right sorry, really new to this posting lark. will read now. i must not have it on 'email me' setting.
p_loadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:52 PM   #44
Administrator

If you click on the User CP (Control Panel) menu choice at the top of each page, then go to the "Edit Options" choice, you'll see a page that lets you set a Default Thread Subscription mode (in the Messaging and Notifications section of that page) for Instant E-mail notification.

Here's a direct link to that page:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...do=editoptions
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:42 PM   #45

Back to your post conradcjc, I have had my HS10 for a few days now and I am really disappointed.

It’s got a lot of querks that I just can't put up with. 10fps is great but what is the point in having that if it’s only ever used in one mode. E.G. the crap AEB that can only take 3 photos at -/+1ev but that in RAW mode it drops BELOW 1FPS!!!!

Another issue is that at full zoom the IS can't quite keep up. 720mm and f5.6 you can't blame it too much that you need bright sunny days. It’s pretty funny as you can 'see' you heart beat in the camera shake!

Also at full zoom in video mode you get very bad 'jelly effect' even with still hands.

Next point is noise, while its not normal noise that I think of with high ISOs as actually the HS10 isn't too bad all the way up to 800iso but it’s just base noise. Like even at 100iso a nice photo of blue sky is littered with squiggles and uneven colouring.

My camera has a very over active proximity sensor that thinks you are looking through view finder even from about 2 foot away. It also thinks the sun or a fire is your face too and will switch the LCD screen off for you. But you can turn this off.

Shot to shot time is pretty poor in JPEG mode but in RAW or heaven forbid RAW + JPEG it’s epically slow.

I'm still finding new things so will let you know. I am probably being a little overly critical but it really gets to me that most of these things could have been sorted out, especially the bracketing mode. They know you are in bracketing mode so why not let the camera work at 10fps then process them all after rather than each on at a time and you have moved the camera or subjects have moved in the photo!

Phil
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 550 is the better camera with way more options. But it can get quite expensive with lenses. It will give you better low light, image quality, and all the things that you can not get form a point and shoot megazoom and bridge camera. These are just body advantages. When you add in the lens advantages. It increase the effects of the bodies advantages in image quality and low light shooting.

The HS10 has a booming zoom with the crop factor. You will not get that kinda of reach from a dslr lens without paying 2x the price of the fuji.

Jim pretty much covered everything else.
Lol, try 12x the cost of the Fuji.

A 720mm f5.6 zoom for a DSLR would cost in the region of £5000 or more, then you have the cost of the camera to add, Oh, and a weightlifting course to enable you to carry and use it!
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_loadwick View Post
Back to your post conradcjc, I have had my HS10 for a few days now and I am really disappointed.

Itís got a lot of querks that I just can't put up with. 10fps is great but what is the point in having that if itís only ever used in one mode. E.G. the crap AEB that can only take 3 photos at -/+1ev but that in RAW mode it drops BELOW 1FPS!!!!

Another issue is that at full zoom the IS can't quite keep up. 720mm and f5.6 you can't blame it too much that you need bright sunny days. Itís pretty funny as you can 'see' you heart beat in the camera shake!

Also at full zoom in video mode you get very bad 'jelly effect' even with still hands.

Next point is noise, while its not normal noise that I think of with high ISOs as actually the HS10 isn't too bad all the way up to 800iso but itís just base noise. Like even at 100iso a nice photo of blue sky is littered with squiggles and uneven colouring.

My camera has a very over active proximity sensor that thinks you are looking through view finder even from about 2 foot away. It also thinks the sun or a fire is your face too and will switch the LCD screen off for you. But you can turn this off.

Shot to shot time is pretty poor in JPEG mode but in RAW or heaven forbid RAW + JPEG itís epically slow.

I'm still finding new things so will let you know. I am probably being a little overly critical but it really gets to me that most of these things could have been sorted out, especially the bracketing mode. They know you are in bracketing mode so why not let the camera work at 10fps then process them all after rather than each on at a time and you have moved the camera or subjects have moved in the photo!

Phil
Odd. I don't have many of these problems. In fact, it's the finest bridge camera I've ever owned... and I've owned quite a few.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:31 PM   #48

Different strokes for different folks.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:32 PM   #49

Buying a bridge camera or SLR should be a question of what do you want from the camera rather than what the camera can do for you.

The HS10 will let you take a massive range of photos with very little money (relative) and every little hassle. An SLR will cost alot more, be heavier with all the lenses and probably will never have enough lenses to cover 24-720mm. BUT the photos you do take will look better, sometimes a lot better.

I think Fuji dropped the ball on this one though. they had the chance at making something really special here and missed the boat by not having better AEB (easy to do), faster processors (easy), bigger buffer (easy), being able to write to the buffer at the same time as it's being read (easy) and better IS (probably hard).

i have sent this to Fuji as I emailed them earlier and they replied so asked a few more probing questions and about the AEB and didn't get a reply:

Hello,

Now I understand why you did not email back.

I received my HS10 yesterday and all looked well but when it came to AEB mode what were you thinking? You have opted to process each photo individually meaning it takes more than 3 seconds to take just 3 shots in RAW mode.

AEB is the chance to take a split second shot of the scene with a few different exposures. the HS10 can shot at 10fps so you could have done this in 0.3 seconds and then processed all 3 photos at once but instead it takes about 4 seconds and you have no chance of trying to hand hold the camera in the same position for that long to be about to combine them into a HDR photo. Not to mention that your scene can change a lot in 4 seconds.

Very disappoint to an otherwise good camera.

What I will never understand is why non-SLR camera have to be so slow at processing photos, clearing the buffer and not being able to take another photo when the buffer is being read. Even the very cheapest SLRs which are cheaper than the HS10 handle so much faster than it. Why? Why can you not put some decent processors in your high end bridge cameras to give people a real choice.

Kind Regards, one very disappointed customer who has already returned his camera.

Philip
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:02 PM   #50

Phil-

Obviously every camera cannot meet everyone's needs. Perhaps a super zoom like the Panasonic FZ-35 would be a better "fit" for you. The HS-10 sells for $(US)499.00 which is right at the edge of the entry level DSLR cameras. For example the Pentax Kx model also sells for $(US)499.00. So there are many options available to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote