Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:37 AM   #51

Hi Sarah,

Yes i have had the FZ-35 for a while, i did like it. was a little pixely but then i think its just because i got used to my A200 then went to that.

I am probably being overly hard on Fuji as there are a lot of things i do like about the HS10 but i just don't understand why they would choose to not use the brilliant burst speed when in AEB mode.

Anyway, do anyone know how to change the metering mode on the HS10? I can't seem to change it from multi and i want to get an image on the moon.

Thanks,
Phil
p_loadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:04 AM   #52

Also Sarah, do you not agree that if bridge cameras handled better they would attract a lot more SLR users.

SLRs have been so much faster than anything else available since time began and you could put up with that when SLRs were vastly more expensive than mirrorless cameras but now that there is a large overlap in SLR prices and high end mirrorless cameras I don't understand why they can't be more responsive and handle like an SLR.

From what I understand it’s only down to what processors they use in the camera that will determine how fast a camera will be in operation (not talking about focusing here).

My A200 is old and cheap but you can take photos much faster than in the brand new HS10. Last night I took 3 bracketed photos of the moon, around 1/500sec, in RAW+JPEG. It took 6 seconds!

With an SLR you can 'SHOOT-REFOCUS-SHOOT-REFOCUS-SHOOT-REFOCUS', and you might hit the buffer limit.

With the HS10 (or any non-SLR camera) it’s 'SHOOT-PROCESS-PROCESS-REFOCUS-SHOOT-PROCESS-PROCESS-REFOCUS-SHOOT' Why?

I just don't get why they put such slow components in decent cameras when we can see from the price of SLRs that they can't be that expensive. Even if they just let the camera do the processing in the background and so let you carry on taking photos until you hit the buffer limit that would be nice.

Anyone know why only SLRs can handle responsively?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:12 AM   #53

DSLR's handle more responsively because they were designed that way. It appears that your needs really are more akin to entry level DSLR cameras rather than super zoom or bridge cameras.

The price reality is this here in the USA. The HS-10 is selling for $(US)499.00. You can purchase a very good entry level DSLR, the Pentax Kx model for example, with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens for $(US)499.00.

The big glitch is that you are going to need more zoom. Purchasing the Kx in a two kit package will give you the previously mentioned Kit lens plus the Pentax 55-300mm lens at around $(US)710.00. In 35mm terms, that would give you a focal length span of 28mm to 450mm. If you want more zoom than that the price will become more dear in a hurry.

So there has to be some compromises! You clearly do not like the compromise in the HS-10. What kind of compromise are you willing to make to get much faster action?? Will you reduce your zoom requirements to get a much faster camera with much more all around use potential?? That is the decision you have to make.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:22 PM   #54

My point is the things i am bitching about would be so simple to have done right and that is why it annoys me so much.

The HS10 has so many good points its such a shame someone didn't look a bit harder and see that HDR is pretty popular now so lets do a decent AEB mode.

I guess i will have to wait for the HS20. i promise you that the things i complained about will be the next big selling points of cameras. Mainly because there isn't much more they can do, full HD, 10-15mp, 30x zooms.

Cameras need better dynamic range, sony went as far as to have a HDR mode. And who wants an unresponsive camera?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:23 AM   #55

Correction:

Sorry, i said that in Bracketing mode on HS10 that from start to finish it takes 6 seconds, it was meant to be 16 seconds!!

Please let me know if my HS10 is broken or something but that to me is crazy. I am using a 20mb/s Sandisk card and just taking 3 shots in RAW+JPEG at -1ev, 0ev, +1ev.