Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Suggestions Please

Over the past couple of weeks I have been researching mega zooms, primarily the Canon SX20IS and Nikon P100. I ultimately ruled out the P100 due to a lot of negative comments on various web sites. So, I bought the SX20IS a couple of days ago. I am, of course, still getting familiar with everything but so far it seems to take very nice stills and the video is nice as well.

So, here is my dilemma. I have been reading about the Sony HX5V and am wondering if I made the right choice with the SX20IS. I know they are two different animals but the size of the HX5V is very appealing as it would be more likely to be with me. Can anyone who has used both the HX5V and the SX20IS compare the photo and video quality?
Ed_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:23 PM   #2

Ed-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I shoot with DSLR cameras and pocket zooms. I visited a major urban camera dealer to handle both the Sony HX5 and the Canon SX-210. They did not have the Sony HX5 in stock, but they had just received the Canon SX-210.

I was actually surprised at the SX-210's form factor. In large part it came about due to the decision to use a 16:9 format screen. The camera's form factor follows and amplifies the LCD's physical format. The result, at least for me, was a camera that did not seem very pocket friendly.

The result was that I then ordered a Sony HX5 sight unseen, as my guess was that it has to be better, and more pocketable. My guess, thank Goodness, proved to be correct. So after having used the HX5 for 10 days, I can say that I am pleased with the HX5 and particularly its portability, and it very nice pocket fit.

Please take a look at our Sony P+S folder. There are now more than 125 posts along with many comments and many photo samples from the HX5. Your experience may indeed be somewhat different than mine, but I am very pleased with my HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3

I have been using the SX20IS for about 10 days and am pretty happy with outdoor pictures or very well lit indoor shots and video. I am disappointed with the lower light performance. I was wondering if the Panasonic FZ35 would be better for indoor shots?

I have also been experimenting with a friends Sony HX5 and find it quite versatile but am again disappointed in the indoor shots.

What other cameras should I be looking at in the $300 - $400 range? Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:41 PM   #4

The Canon S-90 and the G-11 models share the same larger than normal imager. That additional imager size and the large aperture lenses used on those two cameras, give them much more useful High ISO settings of 1600 and even 3200 in a pinch, that makes them unique.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah.

I was hoping to get one camera that also included HD video but maybe I am asking for too much in this price range.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6

Ed-

The Sony HX5 includes limited low light capabilities, 10X (25mm to 250mm) optical zoom and HD video at $349. Perhaps that will work? We have over 230 posts in a thread in our Sony P+S Folder about HX5 first impressions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7

I think my short list is down to the HX5, SX20IS and FZ35. I'll read through the HX5 first impressions thread.

From other posts on this forum, it seems there is a definite preference for the FZ35 over the SX20. With that being the case, it seems I am down to choosing between the HX5 and FZ35. Which would give the better IQ?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_H View Post
I think my short list is down to the HX5, SX20IS and FZ35. I'll read through the HX5 first impressions thread.

From other posts on this forum, it seems there is a definite preference for the FZ35 over the SX20. With that being the case, it seems I am down to choosing between the HX5 and FZ35. Which would give the better IQ?
While I think the HX5 is a FUN camera, I was disappointed in the indoor shots/video. Plus many of my shots were too soft. I returned it and my FZ35 will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll love it.

Last edited by tallymom; Apr 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallymom View Post
While I think the HX5 is a FUN camera, I was disappointed in the indoor shots/video. Plus many of my shots were too soft. I returned it and my FZ35 will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll love it.
Good luck with your FZ35...please let us know how you like it.

I have come to the same conclusion as you about the HX5...indoor shots and video are disappointing.

I have to decide for sure about keeping the SX20IS tomorrow. Not sure if there is enough difference in IQ between it and the FZ35 to worry about.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallymom View Post
Same for me. Liked the form factor and features, but the pics where to soft and bland for my taste with no way to change it in camera. Waiting for my FZ35 delivery and will go from there.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote