Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:38 AM   #1

Default Underwater-Camera

Hello,

I am looking for a camera, which is suitable for taking pictures underwater and, more important - filming =)

I am aware that most users here will kill me for "wanting to make movies with a normal camera", but let me explain..

I am playing "underwater rugby" in my free time, and thus would like to film training/games etc. Besides, I would like to use the camera for "normal" pictures as well..

Important to me is good movie & image quality, and possibly a rather wide angle lens, for capturing most of the pool. Price does not matter that much..hd would be verrrrry nice.

The cam should be waterproof up (or rather down) to 5 metres... i am not sure if 3 metre suffice, since it is possible that iīd go down to the bottom of the pool, which would be around 4 metres.

my favourites so far are the pentax w90, the panasonic ts 2, the olympus w 8010 and possibly the sony tx5 - which is, sadly enough, "just" proof to 3 metres..

so, thanks in advance for your suggestions

greetz

elmar

Last edited by santuris; Apr 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
santuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:49 AM   #2

..just wondering: am I already too specific? Or are these cameras too new to be able to say anything definite about them?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Administrator

Perhaps... Most of those cameras were just announced in February and haven't been on store shelves for long. So, we may not have a lot of members that have bought one of them yet that could give you some feedback.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4

yes, that might be the case indeed. I have already been searching the net for reviews, but that didnīt turn that much up. well..we will see.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by santuris View Post
yes, that might be the case indeed. I have already been searching the net for reviews, but that didnīt turn that much up. well..we will see.
How about here. A group test of underwater cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:30 PM   #6
Administrator

None of the cameras the OP said are on his favorites list so far (pentax w90, panasonic ts2, olympus w8010, sony tx5) are in that group test.

That test was published in May 2009 (almost a year ago), long before these newer models were even announced.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:17 AM   #7

..in the meantime, some reviews have surfaced. So far, I am just pending between the sony tx5 and the panasonic ft2/ts2. Any suggestions, which of these two is better suited as "everyday" camera and for underwater video?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The Sony has a little better image quality the Panasonic has the better protection for depth, dropping. The Sony is the smarter looking and is quite a bit smaller. I have the FT2 and although only used it snorkeling I wasn't sure if I would do some shallow dives so decided the extra depth worth getting now as I won't be buying a camera like this for a long time.

The results are fine for what it is (I'm used to Canon 5DmkII and 1DmkIII cameras) and was great to take everywhere one my honeymoon as I didn't have to worry about it.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9

Would the TX5 be a good all around camera plus to take to the pool & skiing?
I'm repacing a Canon A85 and already have a video camera
bromano25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:35 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Yes, sure, it's great to know that you are not going to harm the camera and it will sure get more use as you are not worried about it. I love having a waterproof camera (and so do all my friends).