Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Underwater Camera, P&S Options

Hi, I'm looking at getting an underwater camera for taking on honeymoon where we will likely do some snorkeling (Red Sea and Mediterranean). I'm happy to spend about 200 UK, $300 US to get the right camera. Please anyone who has used these in anger give me real shots from them so I can get a good idea.

I've considered a housing for one of my dSLRs but think a dedicated camera is better for simplicity and also less to break due to the small compact package.

Being able to shoot some video would also be fun.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:10 PM   #2

Mark-

The Sony TX-5 is worth a good look.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Sarah, I was hoping to be able to get something a little less as in the UK this is 300.... yep, we are always hit hard!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:32 PM   #4

Mark

Try the Pentax WR-80 for a lower price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:52 PM   #5
NHL

I have the Olympus 1030SW, they're specs'ed higher than the Sony for snorkeling... by going a little bit deeper

-> However the problem I've find most annoying about theses type of cameras is the lighting for the underwater shots:
1. Too bright to view the rear LCD (i.e. shoot by aiming in the general direction)
2. Not bright enough for the image
3. Combine 1 & 2 and you get a real situation in focusing on the right fish (an underwater person is easier to AF on since you can't miss)

Last edited by NHL; Apr 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:11 PM   #6

if you are looking for simple cheap and inexpensive that can go to 40 meters for scuba. Intova ic10 for 180 dollars, or the ic6 for just over 100 dollars. The case works well, and if you get the flash defuser for the case. It will help with a shadow issues form using the built in flash. The case is easy to work with under water.

If you go deeper then 5 meters, you may want to invest in a strobe. I will help out tremendously, as the water will filter out the red in the light throwing the shot off. Or get a cheap red filter, but then you need to stay really steady for the longer shutter speed.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:17 PM   #7

Did you see the grouptest of the various waterproof P&S cameras?
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Also, while I suggested it as an "extra" camera on a camera fro Hawaii thread, if not looking at the long term useage/need there are the single use 35mm cameras. I probably ought to go back and edit thaat other thread as they apparently make two versions. The $7 ones by Kodak and Fuji are rated to about 17 feet while the $11 ones are rater 35-50 feet. Here is a link for info.
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Water-Sp...p_ob_p_title_1
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:19 AM   #8

Mark do you already own a compact? Housings are available for a wide range of compact cameras and are generally not very bulky. I've just bought one of these http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog/...-case.p77.html fiddly to get the camera in but after that seems OK. I haven't used it in anger yet but it should be OK for snorkelling. I bought it to use my compact on a boat or beach when my SLR is housed and set up for diving. I've missed some great surface shots by not having a suitable set up on my SLR.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:56 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I've only got the Canon SX1 with me, the Panasonic TZ5 is boxed up somewhere back in the UK so not sure parents would be able to find it let alone the charger/spare battery etc.... however this is a good looking price.

Anyone found out anything about the New Pentax W90 camera. The 80 seemed to get poor reviews but the 90 might have fixed those concerns, if so I might be able to stretch to this. However, cheaper is still better as when back in the UK I really won't be getting any use out of it, apart from having something rugged and possibly for some sailing stuff, but not like use here.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:03 AM   #10

I think housing the SX1 is expensive. The housing for the TZ5 is 179 http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d.../dmwmctz5.html

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote