Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1

Default no idea what to buy???

I'm going to take a college intro photography class and we are require to have a digital camera I have no idea where to start.

I have googled and found some digital SLR cameras and I'm thinking about buying Nikon D90 or
Canon rebel t2i, am I jumping to far ahead? or should I just get a point and shoot cameras?

any suggestion on different digital cameras would be great, thx
boboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:06 AM   #2

If you are seriously planning to get into photography those would be excellent camera. But they are pricey. Also if we know your budget, it would help us match you up with a camera system. Also if you are unsure about getting a dslr, and if the class will allow you to use a bridge camera, it can really save you some money.

If HD video is not a big thing for you, you can save some money by going with a canon T1i. The imagine quality of the T1i and T2i are about equal. Beside the high mp 18 vs 15, and the better HD setup. The photography aspect is about equal. You can get a 2 lens set up for 920 dollars.

If low light is not that big of a concern, the canon XSi is a very good system. Take great picture, equal to both the t1i and t2i upto 1600iso. It is a older camera, and canon is discounting them, so you can get a deal on them.

You may also want to consider pentax. The K-x it is another good option. It is great in low light like the canon T1i and T2i, with 12800iso. But a 2 lens setup is only 620-700 dollars depending if you want to short 2 lens kit or longer 2 lens kit. So depending on you economic availability, weather you are a full time student or taking classes for continue education. The k-x is the best bang for the buck high end entry level dslr.

D90 is a great camera also, but it is pricey. The next level down camera in the nikon line up. Is not quite as good as the canon or pentax offering. I fine for my shooting style the d5000 is very limiting with certain types of lenses. But it is a decent low light camera with 6400iso. A 2 lens set up is about 850 dollars.

Other good option would be the olympus e620. It does have allot of art filter and a very good menu system for when you get confuse on how to set up a shot. It is not as good in low light, as 1600iso is about the max of it's ability.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:26 AM   #3

Humber College in Toronto suggests waiting till the first class to buy a DSLR if you don't already have one. While there's nothing wrong with buying a pretty good one right away, if you are on any kind of a budget, this may not be your best idea. You could always pick up a Nikon D40 refurbished and a cheap short zoom. What I'm saying is, you have options.

One thing is certain, a P&S won't cut it. Courses have pre-requisites. Any college photography course should require a DSLR. Either of your two mentions would be super. The new canon seems to be winning the features race but I read some reviews that give the Nikon the edge in IQ at higher ISO. For you and me, beginners, it won't matter.

As you probably had a P&S up till now, I always like to mention that these DSLRs are 3:2. Not 16:9. For me...deal breaker. I went Sony.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I always like to mention that these DSLRs are 3:2. Not 16:9. For me...deal breaker. I went Sony.
I'm not sure what you are meaning here re the 3:2 aspect ratio and 16:9, can you please add more info?

Back to the original question, as pointed out, there should be clear guidelines to what the course will require in terms of kit and unless it is very basic then I doubt a P&S will be enough. I would look again at the course info and if possible speak to the tutor to see if they have any recommendations and reasons why..... then I would check back here to see if they are sensible or going to take you the wrong way prior to purchasing. When does the course start?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:17 AM   #5
Administrator

The newer Sony dSLR models have both 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratio sizes available. Of course, they're just cropping the image to give you those sizes (which you could do with an editor using a camera without those sizes available).

For example, here are the available resolutions for the Sony A550:

3:2
• 4592 x 3056 (L)
• 3344 x 2224 (M)
• 2288 x 1520 (S)
16:9
• 4592 x 2576 (L)
• 3344 x 1872 (M)
• 2288 x 1280 (S)

If you use one of the 16:9 modes, you can also use the camera's HDMI output for displaying those images on a suitable wide screen monitor, with less in the way of borders like you'd get with a 3:2 aspect ratio image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Ah, thanks Jim. I wasn't sure as I knew the sensors were still the normal aspect ratio so wondered what the significance was. For most people printing then these won't make a difference but could be nice for people who only shoot landscape and want to view on the TV/monitor only.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:07 AM   #7
Administrator

That can work long as your TV or Monitor has an HDMI input, as one con with this camera model is that it does not have a composite output (HDMI only if you want to display your images from the camera).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Ah, so they give with one hand and take with the other LOL. Good to have it clarified.

BTW I received a double email notification of your post so not sure if the server is being silly.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:37 AM   #9
Administrator

I dunno... My e-mail notifications look OK, so it may have received some kind of error from your ISP and resent it, even though it went through OK. I'll keep an ear out for other reports of issues with it. But, two e-mail notifications is better than no e-mail notifications. :-)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:04 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Ah, so they give with one hand and take with the other LOL. Good to have it clarified.
Personally, I never use the video out on a camera anyway, although a lot of people seem to do that. I think all current Sony dSLR models now have HDMI out. They also incorporate what Sony calls "Bravia Sync", for better interaction with Sony Bravia HD TVs (where the TV automatically senses if a compatible Sony device is attached and lets you do things like one touch playback of images using the TV's remote, auto power on and off of the attached camera and more). I guess they want to sell you a new Sony Bravia TV, too.

BTW, you have to use your own Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable with these Sony cameras (or buy one), as the HDMI cable is optional.

The higher end Sony models (A850 and A900) get both standard video out and HDMI out (and include a standard video out cable but the HDMI cable is still optional).