Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:33 AM   #1

Default Camera for up to ~200 $

I'm buying new digital camera with price range up to ~200 $. It will be used in volunteer fire brigade, mostly for snaping photos in interventions, which tells a lot about type of camera.
It's important that it does well in bad conditions, so I don't have to wait 10 seconds before weak flash refills when taking pictures at night. Therefore I expect good picture quality, response (speed), good focusing in poor conditions (low light, smoke...) and good image stabilization. I believe camera will be used mostly on AUTO mode. Of course, I don't need technologies such as panorama, face recognition, etc.

Thank you for you help in advance.
Regards
krneki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2

krneki-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to be the bearer of bad news. You are not going to find a camera with the capabilities you desire in the under $(US)200 range. The closest that you can come is the Sony H-20. Six weeks ago that camera was selling for $(US)199. However, it has been replaced by the Sony HX5, priced at $349, and the remaining supply of the H-20 cameras is selling out rather quickly.

The Sony H-20 has the best Automatic Mode and best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class. At last check it was selling at around $(US)249. Night photos would have to be lighted by the camera's built-in flash unit which can reach out as far as 23 feet, twice the distance of most cameras in the compact zoom class.

The H-20 has 10X optical zoom (38 to 380mm) and can do HD video as well and allows zooming while filming. That is about the least expensive quality camera that can handle the tasks you discuss.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:10 PM   #3

panasonic ZR1 $170 dollars and shoot HD at 720, is that close enough to the 150 mark?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:28 PM   #4

shoturtle-

Please be careful to read the OP's requirements. They are multiple and rather defining.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:39 PM   #5

i was responding to the other poster wanting something in the 150 range.