Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2010, 1:25 PM   #91

Out of all the cameras listed I find that the best user friendly and good to excellent results can be had with the Panasonic FZ35. I have the Canon G11 and Fuji HS10 due to the articulating screens that help with different compositions one would otherwise have to stand on something or get down on one's knees or laying down flat on the ground.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:04 PM   #92

Thank you for this thread. I wanted to ask this same question.

Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
First of all, I will present my self.
I´m a guy from Argentina, and I'm trying to join the wonderful world of photography, but have no idea about that...

Me and my wife enjoy a lot taking photos of landscapes and family portraits (with a Lumix TZ-5), but now we want to make the next step...

For months I've been searching in the Internet (as here i my town there is not a good photo store) and after lots of reviews, I have some ideas but still very confused...so I will need your advice.

First of all, I searched for a bridge camera...I selected Lumix FZ-35, Canon SX20 and SX1...and with less zoom range, the Lumix LX3 and Canon G11...(perhaps G10 too, couldn't decide which is better)
Inside this first pick, I couldn't define which was the award winner!
(I'm still thinking when the FZ35 and the LX3 replacements will be launched)

Then, we started to think in moving to DSLR, an unknown world for us!

There, I started the search within Canon (T1i, 50D), Nikon (D5000, D90) and Pentax (Pentax K-x).
In this cases, I have no idea if I were going in the right way...perhaps there other manufacturers or models that also adjust to my needs.

But the biggest uncertainty comes when I introduced the lens topic to my desk...because as I have read in lots of forums, you can buy the best body, but if it suits low quality lens, you have wasted money in an expensive body.
And that is a problem here in Argentina (most in my city: Bahía Blanca), because we haven't got a wide range of lens models to choose...

Canon 50D is a little bit out of my budget. Something similar happens with Nikon D90.

But reading some comparissons between T2i and D90, the D90 outperfoms the T2i, always talking with the KIT lenses (18-55)....

Video is not the big deal for me...I enjoy taking some videos, but this is not the core of my camera usage...but it is an addition! I'm focused in having very good image quality...night shoots are not often, but they can always happen.
And build qulity is a plus...(In bridge cameras, the difference between Japan made (Lumix and Canon) and other countries made is incredible)

I won't be the only user of the camera...my wife too.
So, the camera should fit a women's hands comfortably.

So, within the bridge cameras...which would be your suggestions???
Will it be better to go on with a Bridge now? and then moving to DSLR?

And within the DSLR? Which are your suggestions?

Perhaps I can go on with a T2i buddy and invest a little bit more of money in some better (non KIT) lenses...but how much more expensive that would be? Which lenses should be OK for the first steps?

I know this thread is very non-defined, but I really need help to clarify my mind, and start defining what to buy.

Are there any news about new models from Nikon? and about the 50D replacement?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Last edited by JordanRHughes; May 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM.
JordanRHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:47 PM   #93

Eugenio - I would not even dare to discuss the pros / cons of such a wide range of cameras when you have Sarah helping you.

However it seems obvious to me that you (like I did) are now reading so much, and looking at such a wide spectrum of specifications & cameras, that you may indeed be losing track of what exactly it is you are looking for in a camera. There is not one camera that can handle every aspect of photography. The nearest would be a very expensive DSLR with many lenses to cover all possible situations - and you are not in the market for that.

Sit down, write out what % of your shooting is going to be dedicated to what aspects of photography (family, indoor, outdoor, events, holidays, landscape, birds & wildlife, macro, street, buildings and so on) and let us know. You will then have narrowed down your criteria sufficiently that Sarah or someone else can categorically say " one of these three cameras suit you best .... go and handle them and see which one you prefer". Because at the moment I'm afraid what is happening is the same as that which happened to me : you find yourself wanting more and more in terms of quality and functions and then you end up with ...... a DSLR & multiple lenses !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 4:23 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Out of all the cameras listed I find that the best user friendly and good to excellent results can be had with the Panasonic FZ35. I have the Canon G11 and Fuji HS10 due to the articulating screens that help with different compositions one would otherwise have to stand on something or get down on one's knees or laying down flat on the ground.
EPL-1 you can add a articulating EVF. It works very well on tripods, and for low angle shots also.
Old May 11, 2010, 8:15 AM   #95

First of all, thanks Frogfish for your advice!
And also thanks to vIZnquest for your feedback on the models you own!

Right now, I will slow down a bit in camera selection, decide what best describes my shooting requirements, and then I will go on with a best focused search.

And also I'm focusing in my thesis during recent/next weeks, so camera selection will not be a priority!!!

Anyway, is it always great to have the wonderful input from users like you...

So, let's see what happens!

Thanks!

Big hug,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:01 PM   #96

Old May 20, 2010, 6:05 AM   #97

Closer to HS10...
Old May 20, 2010, 9:54 PM   #98

The HS10 is a good camera. Great reach with the 700+ zoom. From all the photos that have been posted. It has nice picture quality.

But as frogfish said, once you list what you need in a camera, weather it is price, big zoom, fast action or low light, prioritize them, if it is something that you can go without put it to the bottom of your list. It will help you decided. It can easily get expensive if you go to a dslr or a evil camera for the added abilities. But if you do not need all that abilities. You are just paying for something that you will not use.

Also remember their is no such thing as a perfect camera for everything, that is why many members have multiple cameras.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 9:33 AM   #99

Eugene-

I don't think a person who is paid to help should be treated like you treated Sarah, let alone one who was helping for the good of the art. Certainly you must realize, language barrier or no, that the sheer volume of posts indicates that Sarah was attempting to do nothing more than help you with a level of patience that I do not often see. With that behind us...

I recently went through a similar decision process before choosing my camera. I found that there is no one perfect camera. Although I have a strong desire to maximize my expenditures, I could not find a single camera that met all my needs. I gather that such a solution does not exist for you, either. With that behind us...

The G11 has a larger sensor than almost all the other digicams, and will provide better low-light performance as well as stronger options for all aspects of photography as compared to the standard digicam. The S90 is similar in features but is so small it is difficult to hold. Being a popular model, the G11 is pricey.

I looked at the 4/3 cameras, but at the moment they seem limited for lens availability and are too big to pocket from a portability standpoint. Having spent some serious time with my T2i I can say that every square mm of sensor is used to get good low-light shots and I wouldn't recommend the 4/3 given the price point for this issue alone.

If HD video is not a concern, you might enjoy some of the deals currently out for the T1i - as good as the T2i for stills, but capable of 720p video at the necessary frame rate. A dslr like the T1i will allow for exapnsion into other areas of photography with bigger, better, longer lenses after your bank account recovers from the initial purchase.

Cheers

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:48 PM   #100

Thanks Jim-

Just for the record, I am NOT a paid poster on this forum.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 22, 2010 at 3:17 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote