Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:19 PM   #11

Thanks, TCav-

Eugenio-

When you speak of bridge cameras, those have 18 to 30x optical zoom. That is really more than you seem to want or need in terms of zoom. My suggestion would be to purchase a Canon G-11 and really sharpen your photography skills and experience. Take that Photo Class you are speaking of. get some real photo skills under your belt.

I guarantee you that even the G-11 will offer a formidable photographic challenge, while saving you money at the same time. Get an external flash, the G-11 has a nice hot shoe, and really master all the subtle features of flash photography, as well as general photography. The external flash would be wonderful to use for family events.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:47 AM   #12

So, within compact and super zoom cameras you would recommend Canon G11...¿no other model? SX1 or SX20 or LX3 or FZ35?
I don´t remember exactly now, but I think I saw some comments on G11 in DPReview concerning some issues of low IQ...can it be?

When is expected the replacement of LX3 and FZ35? Do you haave some feedback about TZ10?

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:05 AM   #13

Perhaps it would be great a kind of summary with the best option/s of each camera type:
- High-end compacts (LX3, G11, S90, etc)
- Ultrazoom compacts (TZ10, etc)
- Superzoon / bridge (FZ35, SX1, SX20, etc)

Perhaps I can also include Samsung HZ15W, or Panasonic TZ7 (previous model for TZ10).

And a sort of Award Winner in the general contest.

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:09 AM   #14

eugenio-

I would wait on the LX3 and FZ-35 models because they are due for replacement models soon. I am sorry tho say that you must be a little confused. The Canon G-11 is highly praised for its excellent image quality and its DSLR like features.

Yesterday you said in a post that 3X to 5X optical was sufficient for your purposes. You stated uses landscapes, vacations, family and holiday event really not not require any more that the stated 3X to 5X optical zoom.

The Canon SX1 is no long produced. The SX-20 has been outdated by Canon's new SX-210, the Panasonic TZ-10 has not received good reviews and has been faulted for decreased and poorer image quality. I mentioned, the LX3 and FZ-35 are due for replacement in the next 2 to 3 months.

However, perhaps it is time for you to re-state: (1) your real objectives, (2) to explain why you think the Canon G-11 is not a good choice for you, and, (3) why you feel the need for additional optical zoom.

If you jump into a DSLR camera without learning a who lot more about photography, you will not be pleased with the image quality, you will be unable to use all of the camera's features, and you will find setting up and using your cameras on a daily basis to be difficult and gradually more and more discouraging.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:28 AM   #15

My brothers wife has a Cannon G 11 that she uses for family stuff, vacations and capturing the kids and she loves the camera. She has one spare battery for it and a Kingston brand 8GB class 4 card for it

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:46 AM   #16

I think you confused models: SX210 is SX200 replacement, not SX20, which a current model.

My aim is on G11 and LX3 (concerning my zoom needs), and if wanting to increase the zoom, FZ 35 or SX20 (or the new Panasonic models).

Which are your suggestions/experience with those models?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:16 AM   #17

eugenio-

I am a professional digital camera instructor and have written four books on digital cameras. I teach all aspects of photography and photo editing for our state university and Community College. So I am not lacking in experience.

I am not confused, by the way. If you look closely, I am on this Forum 7 days a week and I have posted also more than 13,000 posts. The SX-20 is an ISO limited camera that has become out dated. That is why I suggested the SX-210, which I know is a replacement to the SX-200. It is smaller, more easily handled, and with 14X optical zoom is able to provide 28mm to 392mm in 35mm terms.

Both the Canon G-11 and the Panasonic LX3 have largers imagers making them high ISO capable and producing better image quality. However, the LX-3 has now become out dated. If you have decided on the LX3, I would wait for the replacement camera for the LX3 which is due out this summer.

If you want to purchase a new camera soon, I would definitely suggest the Canon G-11. It has great image quality, a hot shoe, and seem very capable of meeting your needs. If you desire to go to a long zoom camera, the SX-20 has become outdated, and the FZ-35 is due for replacement. The only new super zoom is the new Fuji HS-10 with 30X optical zoom. I own and use a HS-10.

And just so you are clear of the cameras mentioned, I have owned and personally used the Canon S-90, G-11, SX-10, SX-200 and SX-20. Of the Panasonic cameras I have owned and personally used the LZ-8, the FX500, the FZ-1, the FZ-5, the FZ-10, the Fz-18 the FZ-20, the FZ-28, the FZ-35, the FZ-50, the G-1, the LX2, the LX3, the ZR1, the ZS1, and the ZS3. I also have owned and personally used the Fuji S602, the S-8000, the S-8100, and the new HS-20. I also personally own, use and teach Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Sony DSLR cameras. So my experience is quite extensive and varied.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:54 AM   #18

Sarah knows her stuff, she is never confused

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:36 PM   #19

Sarah, please, don't missunderstand my words!!!

I'm not arguing about your knowledge and experience.
I'm sure you are extremely aware of what you talk about, because in other way, you won't be able to give your opinion in the way you do.

So, again, don't feel I'm attacking you...please excuse me...

When you wrote "The SX-20 has been outdated by Canon's new SX-210", I understood that you were trying to say that SX20 was replaced by SX210, that's why I mentioned the it was the replacement of SX200...as there is one number difference between both models names, I though you were confused, or typed wrong...

Sorry if I bother you with my last comment.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:25 PM   #20

Sarah,

can I summarize your suggestions as the following?:
For the high-end compact cameras, if time to buy is now, you will go on with a G11, and if not, you would wait until LX3 replacement launching?

For super-zoom: FZ35 is ok but you would wait for its replacement in a few months.
What about other models? which is your opinion over Fuji HS-10?

Thanks again!