Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:27 PM   #21

eugenio-

Thank you for your kind words. I do feel better.

The issue of helping you find the correct camera remains. if super zooms are the direction you want to go. The FZ-35 and the SX-20 are soon to be replaced, or outdated. That leaves the Fuji HS-10 as the newest and best super zoom.

In the compact zoom class of cameras you have the Sony HX5, the Canon SX-210, and the Panasonic ZS7 did not get a good review. The review points out that the increased megapixels in the ZS7 caused a reduction in image quality. Both the HX5 and SX-210 are very new and very good cameras.

In the compact class of cameras you have the Canon S-90 and G-11 along with the Panasonic LX3, which will be replaced soon.

In the Micro 4/3rd class of cameras, we have the Panasonic G-1, GH-1, and GF-1. In the Olympus brand you have the EP1, the EP2, and EPL1.

So there is a good selection of cameras. Which camera or cameras do you want to consider and discuss further?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:24 PM   #22

Sarah,

Besides I don't think I will need big zoom range (and that is why I started considering the G11, S-90 and the LX3), I know that the way a bridge camera feels in the hands has nothing to do compared with having a compact...perhaps this is a point that will contribute to seek deeper in the superzoon range...

Mostly when I saw the Fuji HS-10!!!
This CMOS sensor allows lots of very nice features!
How it performs compared to the FZ35?? (you own both models, so who is better than you to give me that comparisson!?!?)
I think the Olympus SP-800UZ is out of range here...do you recommend other superzoom models?

The micro 4/3 are sensibly more expensive, and besides my budget can be extended up to 1000, I would prefer to invest less, around 500...
And as my photography skill as less than a begginers's, DSLR are not being considered any more (I think...:P)

I wait for opinions...

Thanks for yor help!

PS: Where is the Fuji HS-10 made? is it from japan?
What about Samsung items? (NX10, TL500 and TL350)

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; Apr 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM.
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:18 PM   #23

eugenio-

Samsung cameras are made in Korea. The Fuji HS-10 is made in made in Indonesia. I have only had the HS-10 for 3 days, so it is very early to judge. However, based on my short experience with the HS-10 I would say that it certainly equals the Panasonic FZ-35, and will probably surpass the FZ-35 but it will take more time and experience to arrive at that conclusion.

Based on a $(US)1,000.00 budget, the Micro 4/3rds cameras would probably be a stretch on the budget.

I agree that the Canon S-90 and G-11 and the Panasonic LX3 are probably the better choices for you. However, there are two issues that I must remind you of: (1) the Canon S-90 does not do well at all in the Automatic Mode. (2) the LX3 will soon be replaced. That is why the Canon G-11 was my #1 choice for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:06 AM   #24

If you do not need a big zoom, something like the epl-1 with one lens may work for you. It is about 560-600 dollars.

The G11 will give you the most options without a big zoom.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:23 AM   #25

Thank you both for your comments!

Besides my budget can be extended up to 1000, I would prefer to keep it around 500 or 600.
In addition to the camera I have to buy the memory, a very good case and a spare battery (if it not uses AA batt).

Related with the suggestions, as I'm not yet decided, I will keep my eye on LX3 replacement and the G11.

And within the super-zooms, I will keep my eye on the FZ-35 replacement and a deeper feedback on the HS-10 (so I will probably bother you Sarah!).

Which is your opinion on the indicated Samsung models?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:11 AM   #26

epl-1 battery on ebay 2 spear 10 dollars, just a nice case ebay 25 dollar. With the epl-1 all you need is a class 6 cards, ans it can only shoot 3fps. I tried a class 10 and it could not take advanatage of it. Class 6 8gb 20 dollars, just do not get memory cards off of ebay.

Total in add on 55 dollars
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:11 AM   #27

eugenio-

While Samsung has seemed to get better, I still have some doubts about their over all quality. I prefer to purchase Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, or Nikon.

Have a good weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:18 PM   #28

Sarah...thanks for you wishes...also have a nice weekend!

Please, if it doesn't bother you, I will ask you for further impressions about your feelings on HS10 (build quality, cracks, performance, battery life, etc...)(after your first weekend using it!), because as said before, besides I haven't defined yet which type of camera I will buy, I will keep analyzing both segments: high-end compact and bridge super-zooms (perhaps also a MFT).
So, final participants are: LX3, G11, FZ35, HS10, E-PL1 (your impressions? another MFT?)

And let´s see Panasonic replacement models...

Any advice you can give me in the future about these models, or some other better than them that I haven't considered, it will be welcomed.

Thanks a lot for your support!

And please, everybody else that have a different point of view, participate in this thread!

Regards,

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; Apr 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #29

Steve's just review the epl-1 and it said to be the best offering in compact mft right now.

Here are some of my testing of the epl1 and some other members that use it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...l1-thread.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/searc...ession&x=0&y=0
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...1-day-2-a.html

And here is the full steve's review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-42.html
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:36 AM   #30

Good day, Eugenio

Well I must share with you that I have very mixed feelings about the Fuji H-10. As I had mentioned previously, you seriously have to ask yourself how much you are going to use the 500+ area of that lens. In actual practice, I have found that I very rarely use the maximum 720mm.

In addition I have found that the HS-10 is very hungry in terms of batteries. I goes through batteries quickly after 150 to 160 photos. As a comparison, I pulled out my 3 year old Fuji S-8000 with 18X optical zoom (28mm to 504mm) and determined that the lens on the older S-8000 was sharper, the focus was faster, and the battery consumption was around 240 to 250 photos.

So I do not see the new Fuji HS-10 as a huge improvement. The Fuji S-8000 is very comparable to the Panasonic FZ-35 in terms if image quality in normal lighting. The FZ-35 has more features and can operate at high ISO settings, so that places it slightly above the S-8000, but not by much.

In terms of Micro 4/3rd cameras, the Olympus EPL1 remains my favored camera. I had a Panasonic G-1 which I sold to a friend. I purchased a used Panasonic 40-200mm (80mm to 400mm in 35mm terms) lens last week for $(US)230 and I continue to be very impressed with the Panasonic lens performance on the EPL1. Have you investigated the EPL1 in depth? It is approximately in your price range?

Sarah Joyce