Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:56 AM   #31

Dear Sarah,

Thanks for your input!

It is always good to have that kind of feedback, from well-aware people using/testing the camera you are searching for.

So, based on your words afters your first "shooting safari", the HS-10 is not the "beast" of the category...

If you must compare the HS-10 and the FZ-35...which would be your suggestion?

IMHO the Fuji has the advantage in a wider lens, a fast CMOS sensor, and many other interesting features...but we don't know what the FZ35's replacement will have to offer.

For me, the 30X zoon range of the Fuji is much more than needed...but if the whole camera performance is amazing obviously that it won't be a problem at all to have this incredible plus of such a big zoom.

So, let's see which your impressions are after further use of the HS-10.

Conclusion, I will keep my eye in the superzoom segment, because I like the way the bridge cameras are felt in the hands...I will keep searching for a competitor for FZ35...
And will keep tracking the analysis of G11 and LX3, or any other found or suggested model.

As always, any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Concerning E-PL1, it is inside my budget (600 usd), and with an additional lenses to the ZUIKO 14-42 it is still under the usd 1000 upper limit.
Camera performance is making the difference? Investing that amount of money…why don’t go to a typical DSLR? How is the camera felt in your hands?
I have to analyze it deeper…initially I was not considering the MFT …

As usual, thanks a lot for your guide!

Regards,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:44 AM   #32

It is 0700 here, so Good Morning, Eugenio-

Having been to BA many times, my guess is that it is 1000 there.

After using the EPL1 MFt for a week, I acknowledge that it is indeed smaller and more compact, but none the less it is very close to the size of my Olympus E-620.
I think it is the overpricing of the EPL1 that bothers me.

If you have followed and read in the Fuji P+S Folder on the forum, there have been lots of very good photo samples posted, as well as lots of posts about photo technique and handling of the HS-10.

The Panasonic FZ-35 and LX3 models still has now announced replacement cameras. The price of the FZ-35 has dropped to $(US)303.00 here in the USA on the FZ-35 in anticipation of an announce about a replacement.

I have attached a photo showing the Fuji HS-10 on the left, the Olympus EPL1 in the middle and the Olympus E-620 on the right. You can easily see that all three cameras are rather close together, even with the long zoom lenses installed on the EPL1 (Panasonic 45mm to 200mm) and the E-620 (40mm to 150mm).

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:47 PM   #33

It´is being hard to get focused!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
It´is being hard to get focused!
I see!

You thought this would be simple!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:00 AM   #35

No I never thinks things are simple...but as I always want to know all the relevant details, it is very common that in the middle of any decision I feel confused!

I will wait for further feedback about Hs10...it impressed me a lot with its specifications...but want to know more from people using it...

But anyway, I will probably wait for FZ35 replacement...as with LX3...and compare it with G11...

Do you have any suggestion in the high end compacts or superzooms?
Perhaps I'm not well prepared yet for a DSLR...the most advanced I can go with is a MFT...and I'm not sure if I will take the best out od it...

Big hug,
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:49 AM   #36

Good Morning, Eugenio-

I believe it is wise to collect all of the deatails. In that way you can make a better decision. We still have not heard enough about the Fuji HS-10 nor have we see any professional reviews of the HS-10. So it is indeed appropiate to wait and gather all the details, including user comments as well.If you look in the Fuji Point and Shoot folder you can read all of the user comments. The number of posts is building rapidly.

At you experience level, I do not believe that you could make the best use of a DSLR or even a MTF. It would be wise to focus on the G-11, LX-3 or the FZ-35 or its replacement.

What classes or course are available to you in your city in Argentina to improve your photographic knowledge? I teach two classes each week for our Community College. One is on Basic Photography and the second is on photo editing using Photoshop Elements software.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:55 PM   #37

As suggested, let's time pass and see Panny replacements models, and evolution of HS-10 performance...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:51 AM   #38

Hi Sarah,

Do you have further comments due to your own experience with the HS-10?

I saw a post from you in which you said something like "don't expect the HS-10 the work simply in the automatic mode" (more or less)...

Your input will be welcomed!

Regards to all of you,
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:33 AM   #39

Good Morning, Eugenio-

You are correct. The Fuji HS-10, although, it is a super zoom, point and shoot camera is still quite complex, and requires some background and skill from the user to obtain the very best image results.

It is not your typical point and shoot camera that you can place into the Automatic mode and take beautiful snapshots right out the box. Camera users looking to do that are best advised to purchase a camera like the Panasonic ZR1 and to take outdoor photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:37 AM   #40

But how is your experience with the Fuji going? are you happier with it? your first impression were not 100% positive...but has that changed now?
Comparing it with your FZ35...how is it doing?