Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Dear Sarah,

Thanks for your input!

It is always good to have that kind of feedback, from well-aware people using/testing the camera you are searching for.

So, based on your words afters your first "shooting safari", the HS-10 is not the "beast" of the category...

If you must compare the HS-10 and the FZ-35...which would be your suggestion?

IMHO the Fuji has the advantage in a wider lens, a fast CMOS sensor, and many other interesting features...but we don't know what the FZ35's replacement will have to offer.

For me, the 30X zoon range of the Fuji is much more than needed...but if the whole camera performance is amazing obviously that it won't be a problem at all to have this incredible plus of such a big zoom.

So, let's see which your impressions are after further use of the HS-10.

Conclusion, I will keep my eye in the superzoom segment, because I like the way the bridge cameras are felt in the hands...I will keep searching for a competitor for FZ35...
And will keep tracking the analysis of G11 and LX3, or any other found or suggested model.

As always, any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Concerning E-PL1, it is inside my budget (600 usd), and with an additional lenses to the ZUIKO 14-42 it is still under the usd 1000 upper limit.
Camera performance is making the difference? Investing that amount of money…why don’t go to a typical DSLR? How is the camera felt in your hands?
I have to analyze it deeper…initially I was not considering the MFT …

As usual, thanks a lot for your guide!

Regards,
The epl-1 is 600 with the 45-200mm panasonic lens, it will be in your budget at 900. And you will get better low light performance and dslr IQ. And with the lastest firmware update of 1.1. You get entry level dslr AF speed. Not for sport but good for medium action.

Given a megazoom vs a micro 4/3 like the epl-1. The EPL-1 would be the better investment through the long term.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM. Reason: forgot to type the price with the second lens
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:40 PM   #52

Thanks for your advice on E-PL1...I'm still deciding which move to make...
Tha fact is that besides I know that I don't need extreme zoom hability, I think I will feel that bridge/superzoom cameras will feel better in my hands (DSLR like)...

So, I will stay considering LX3 (or its replacement), G11, FZ35 (or its replacement) or the HS-10...and E-PL1...and any other camera that someone suggested me...

I'm not hurry to buy my camera, but I don't want to get stuck with this topic...I'm a "wonna be" amateur, with plenty to learn, but want to buy good stuff to start with, and keep it for some years...and if in the future a go ahead to the next step, it may be useful as a second camera/back up.

The main thing I look for is very good IQ, then, good speed between shots and few shutter lag, then good wide angle, and at the same level, large zoom range.
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:52 PM   #53

epl-1 no shutter lag like a dslr. It will give you the best IQ out of all the cameras' listed due to the larger sensor. And it comes with the 14-42mm lens. So it is equal to 28mm at 35mm eq. And you can always add a zoom lens with better optic then any megazooms can give. Also with the kit set on. It is the size of the FZ35 and smaller then the HS10. Granted the megazooms are very good now adays. But the IQ with the second lens like the panasonic 45-200 will still be better at the equivalent range. And it will give you a reach out to 600mm about even with the FZ35 and little less then the HS10. Growth wise a m4/3 camera offer the most option.

The G11 would be the next best in image quality as it has the largest sensor for a bridge camera on the market.

But since you are not in a hurry, I would bring a sd card with you to stores and try out each camera and see how you like the ergo's of them.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Eugenio-

Yes, I have updated the firmware and I am using Eneloop batteries.

Sarah Joyce

Have many shoots are you getting with Eneloops?
Did you notice any change in camera overall performance with the firmware update? In which issues?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But since you are not in a hurry, I would bring a sd card with you to stores and try out each camera and see how you like the ergo's of them.
The problem is that in my home town (Bahía Blanca in Argentina) there are not to many photo stores, and there are only a few models to choose, only low price P&S.

Concerning the E-PL1, my fear is related with my lack of experience...I don't want to have the MFT camera, and don't succeed in improving my skills, and feel demotivated...without considering that, I also think the E-PL1 is the best camera of the listed group...but probably it will be more than I can manage now...
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:17 PM   #56

There is a simple to use menu like a point and shoot. So it will not get over your head. There are 16 scene modes and a bunch art filters. So you can shoot in full auto. Olympus has the best jpeg engine in the market, out the camera you get really good shots. It is actually a very user friendly camera to new camera users. You will not get over your head with this camera. It has a crawl, walk and run stage for new users looking to progress in your own pace.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:21 PM   #57

So you can start with full auto, with the different scene modes, as you get more comfortable you can move up to the iauto, that will give you a menu and slider system to add more personal control. And when you are ready for the advance shooting, you can shoot in shutter, aperture or full manual modes.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:46 PM   #58

Thanks for your words...it is always good to have advice from more experienced guys!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:36 AM   #59

Which would be the total cost for the E-PL1 with kit lens (14-42mm) and the Panny 45-200mm?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:45 AM   #60

In the US the epl-1 is 599 and the lens is 280 dollars.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 28, 2010 at 9:49 AM.