Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:49 AM   #61

http://www.adorama.com/IOMEPL1G14B.html

add to cart to see the price it is 280 dollars
http://www.adorama.com/IPC45200.html
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:55 AM   #62

Thanks!
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:17 AM   #63

What about HS-10 build quality?
Which would be the rank of the mentioned models considering build quality? and considering ergonomics?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:51 AM   #64

I think that, at some point, you should realize that all you're doing is splitting hairs, and all the while, you still don't have a camera you can play with and learn on.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:04 AM   #65

I saw a post about a woman from India, which lead me to find a ´proper way to express my feelings about what I'm searching for.

First of all, it is obvious that I'm searching for a camera with the better IQ as possible and good build quality.

Concerning the camera size: Actually I'm used a borrowed TZ5, and besides I have no regrets about how it feels (I can keep it in my jeans during a walk!), I think that something a little bit bigger will feel better...I thinks I actually prefer a size that feels like there is more to grip which seems to help me, at least, reduce camera shake. Overall, if a larger camera, like an bridge / ultra zoom, is going to give me better grip and image quality over a more compact size, then that's what I want.

Concerning Manual Settings: I've used them only a few. I'm not overly confident with them, because as I´ve said in previous posts, I'm a "wonna be" amateur. I'd say I'm willing to learn how to really use manual settings. So having a camera with manual settings, I like that it's there and when I have time to read and try different things (or take photography classes), I would use it then. But at the moment, I'd probably be more likely to use auto controls.
First of all I thought about buying a DSLR. Then, "colling my head", I find that the real fact is that I'm not prepared to deal with such kind of camera.
Perhaps my budget (extending it to a real upper limit) will allow me to buy something like a T2i or T1i with the kit lens (or a K-x with a two lenses kit)...but I think this is not the right moment to do so.
Perhaps in the future, when my photo skills improved, a DSLR will be the camera to buy, to obtain better pictures. Which is probably true, but I can't see spending 1,000 on a camera that I don't know how to use 95% of the functions. Seems like a bit of overkill. Maybe someday, when I know what I'm doing. It is a goal, but a far away goal.
A disadvantage of DSLR (only for the moment) is the bulky lugagge carrying the body and 2 lenses at least.

Concerning the lenses, I want wide angle. At least 28mm.
HD video: up to now, I do not use Video a lot, but my wife is somehow tending to use it more often, so it would be a plus for the camera that handles it.

The HS-10 sums all the good things from the other listed models (and many others): ultra-wide-angle from LX3, fast CMOS sensor, good image quality, etc...but I want to see others experience about overall performance...

And the E-PL1 is a really good buy, but I'm not 100% about going ahead with it due to the total cost of the body + 2 lenses (kit and panny 45-200), and the need to carry the second lens.
Shoturtle gave me a good advice signalling that E-PL1 has functions for each of the photo stages ("It has a crawl, walk and run stage for new users looking to progress in your own pace. So you can start with full auto, with the different scene modes, as you get more comfortable you can move up to the iauto, that will give you a menu and slider system to add more personal control. And when you are ready for the advance shooting, you can shoot in shutter, aperture or full manual modes.")

So, let´s see how a get close to the desicion!

Thank you all for your support, and as always, new comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Regards,
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:36 AM   #66

I will add one advice, from my own limited experience: buy a camera that's been released at least 6 months ago and so is:

1. PRE: proved and reviewed enough.
2. PS: price stabilized.
3. Firmware updated.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:35 AM   #67

Eugenio-

The build quality of the Fuji HS-10 is only average, at best. But I believe TCav shared a valuable insight with you. With well past 60 posts in this thread it appears that the "magic of the search" is more intriguing to you than purchasing a camera.

My suggestion still stands:buy the Panasonic FZ-35 and learn photography. Get out there and get shooting rather than discussing
minor details every day. That is where the learning process will begin.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:37 PM   #68

If you want low light ability, more dof control, no shutter lag, better AF tracking and high image quality you will want a m4/3 or a dslr. The megazooms are nice. But none of them will meet all the needs.

Megazooms are great and convenient when need long reach in a small package. Except of the zoom factor. All other aspects the dslr or m4/3 wins out on.

So you really need to decide what trade off you are will to accept. They you will find out what is the best camera for you.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:56 PM   #69

Since it seems we're starting over ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
... I'm used a borrowed TZ5, ...
... what don't you like about the TZ5?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:11 PM   #70

Excellent question, TCav-

I agree, it is time to start over, as things are going in circles.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote