Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:04 PM   #81

Thank you very much, TCav!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 6:19 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
OK, no problem, but please, DO NOT think that you are an essential person to all other users.
On the contrary, knowledgeable and helpful people like mtclimber are the very backbone of forums like this one.

If you know Sarah's address, I would suggest that you spend a little bit of your camera budget to send her a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates. If not, then a polite apology for your intemperate remarks would be a good alternative.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm going running in circles
Running in circles is a natural part of the process of buying a new camera. There is a huge selection of very good cameras on the market. This is good news for the consumer (you and me), but it can lead to confusion and frustration when it come to making your choice.

Quote:
, but you are supposing things (like "Zoom seems to be a real priority"), so I added the comment that G11 and LX3 should be also still considered...
Canon and Panasonic make excellent compact and bridge cameras. If you want to buy a compact or a bridge, either one would be a good choice. Read the reviews on Steve's Digicams and other sites, look at sample images on the flickr camera comparison page and then make your choice. Once you decide, go and buy it and don't look back. Enjoy your new camera, take some nice pictures and don't forget to come back and show them to us.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 7:26 AM   #83

What I see (and I really didn't review every post in this thread...whew!) is that we usually discuss what future photographers "want to do" and then trust that their answer is actually reflective of their needs. New folk don't really know. They need to be lead a little bit. And we also leave out the "wants". Like, perhaps Fuji is seen as not-even-second-tier and Canon/Nikon/whatever are the top. Add in language and it's a mess.

I don't have any answers and I'm happy to read the thoughts and suggestions of others. As I free up a little time, I'm going to make up a little chart with manufacturer/models/pros/cons/costs. Then I'm going to take a look at a few of the cameras in person. It's very confusing for a new buyer with only slight visible differentiation between TONS of models. And I know people will ask me that age-old question: "What's the best camera for me?".

Just rambling, but I know how an online slight can feel. So throwing a little "thanks and keep it up mtclimber" in the ring doesn't hurt.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:51 AM   #84

As seen, there a lot to clarify...

Perhaps my comment seemed to be harder than it was intended to be.

My commment saying "DO NOT think that you are an essential person to all other users" was due to what I felt as arrogancy, because in my opinion, it would be enough saying "I think it is better I stop writing posts in this thread, because as far as I see, my words are not helping you".
And that was not the first time. If take a look at her reaction when I said "I think you confused models: SX210 is SX200 replacement" when she told "The SX-20 has been outdated by Canon's new SX-210", you can see that she reacted as if I had insulted her, explaining me her experience and equipment...and the situation was very simple.

Perhaps I understood the whole situation badly.
And of course I really appreciate Sarah's and everybody's help.
That is the reason why I use this and other forums.
It is extremely helpful, and as in every aspect of my life, I always try to be polite.
And Sarah showed that she really knows what she is talking about.

But this time I felt that I ws treated like an ignorant...and the fact is that if I posting my doubts, is because I don't know which decision to take.

Now, looking at corkpix's and frank's posts, I feel that they got my point...

Once again, excuse me if I was impolite, that was not my intention.
I'm only looking for advices and support!
So, as always, suggestions and tips are welcomed!

Regards,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:12 PM   #85

If you want to save some money, and start out slow. The FZ35 is a good option.

But id you want high quality photos a entry dlsr would be the best option. Something along the lines of a e620 or Canon XSi.

But if compact size and weight is a concern, the M4/3 solution would be the best compromise. Also the EPL-1 just got awarded TIPA's best compact camera system.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:57 AM   #86

Yes...my decision will take some more time...at least one more month...
What am I considering?

The same models mentioned before, which lead the crew to say I'm running in circles (and I'm really doing that!), but stoppped thinking on DSLR...

So, players are: G11, FZ35, HS-10 and E-PL1...very different kinds of stuff, so still deciding...

Thank you all for your help...let´s see what happens...and any new advice is welcomed

Big hug!
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 8:14 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
So, players are: G11, FZ35, HS-10 and E-PL1...very different kinds of stuff, so still deciding...
I will say that all of the cameras you've listed are quite good, but each has its strengths and weaknesses.

While the E-PL1, indeed, all the m4/3 cameras, have the potential to be great choices, the advantage that a camera with interchangeable lenses has is that you can change the lenses, allowing you to choose a lens that is most appropriate for what you happen to be photographing at the time. The unfortunate part of choosing a m4/3 camera right now is that the selection of lenses is limited, some of the more specialized lenses are expensive, and while there has been some wild speculation about future lenses, no one has speculated about their cost. That has the potential to put you in a awkward position of owning a capable camera but lenses that are appropriate for what you want to shoot either aren't available or cost more than you want to spend. And, of course, without appropriate lenses, there's no way to determine ahead of time if the camera can perform a particular function well.

With such capable P&S cameras as the G11, FZ35 and HS-10 available, I'd leave the m4/3 option on the shelf until the market has matured somewhat.

Last edited by TCav; May 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 8:55 AM   #88

Actually I would not worry to much about lens options with the olympus m4/3, you can always get a 4/3 adapter to use the full line of olympus, panasonic and sigma 4/3 lenses with full AF and metering, that plus the m4/3 lenses form panasonic gives you very good selection of quality of lenses.
Old May 5, 2010, 9:08 AM   #89

But again, the selection isn't very broad, and it can be expensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:12 AM   #90

Not really the olympus 4/3 lenses are not that expensive. The 14-150 is a sub 200 dollar lens. The 35mm macro is another in expensive lens.