Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:50 AM   #1

Default New in DSLR...what to buy? Now focused in Superzoom and High-End Compacts!

First of all, I will present my self.
I´m a guy from Argentina, and I'm trying to join the wonderful world of photography, but have no idea about that...

Me and my wife enjoy a lot taking photos of landscapes and family portraits (with a Lumix TZ-5), but now we want to make the next step...

For months I've been searching in the Internet (as here i my town there is not a good photo store) and after lots of reviews, I have some ideas but still very confused...so I will need your advice.

First of all, I searched for a bridge camera...I selected Lumix FZ-35, Canon SX20 and SX1...and with less zoom range, the Lumix LX3 and Canon G11...(perhaps G10 too, couldn't decide which is better)
Inside this first pick, I couldn't define which was the award winner!
(I'm still thinking when the FZ35 and the LX3 replacements will be launched)

Then, we started to think in moving to DSLR, an unknown world for us!

There, I started the search within Canon (T1i, 50D), Nikon (D5000, D90) and Pentax (Pentax K-x).
In this cases, I have no idea if I were going in the right way...perhaps there other manufacturers or models that also adjust to my needs.

But the biggest uncertainty comes when I introduced the lens topic to my desk...because as I have read in lots of forums, you can buy the best body, but if it suits low quality lens, you have wasted money in an expensive body.
And that is a problem here in Argentina (most in my city: Bahía Blanca), because we haven't got a wide range of lens models to choose...

Canon 50D is a little bit out of my budget. Something similar happens with Nikon D90.

But reading some comparissons between T2i and D90, the D90 outperfoms the T2i, always talking with the KIT lenses (18-55)....

Video is not the big deal for me...I enjoy taking some videos, but this is not the core of my camera usage...but it is an addition! I'm focused in having very good image quality...night shoots are not often, but they can always happen.
And build qulity is a plus...(In bridge cameras, the difference between Japan made (Lumix and Canon) and other countries made is incredible)

I won't be the only user of the camera...my wife too.
So, the camera should fit a women's hands comfortably.

So, within the bridge cameras...which would be your suggestions???
Will it be better to go on with a Bridge now? and then moving to DSLR?

And within the DSLR? Which are your suggestions?

Perhaps I can go on with a T2i buddy and invest a little bit more of money in some better (non KIT) lenses...but how much more expensive that would be? Which lenses should be OK for the first steps?

I know this thread is very non-defined, but I really need help to clarify my mind, and start defining what to buy.

Are there any news about new models from Nikon? and about the 50D replacement?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Last edited by eugeniogurrea; Apr 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2

eugenio-

Welcome to the Forum. We are very pleased that you dropped by.

For an easier consideration of the search you face, what budget have you allowed for this future camera to replace your existing Panasonic TZ-5? I believe that the budget allocated will set the direction in which you will proceed.

Beyond that you, Eugenio, have to make some very basic decisions regarding how much zoom capability this future camera will have. Certainly there is a huge difference in zoom capability when comparing the Panasonic FZ-35 to the LX3 camera. So here are the pivotal issues you must decide personally before your camera search can really begin with vigor.

* Your budget?

* The amount of zoom desired?

* How willing you are personally to study and learn a lot more about photography. That will take time, motivation, and endurance. Will you be taking any specific Photography courses at a University or specialized school. That could increase your rate of learning?

* Do you really want or need the speed, image quality, and a much larger kit that includes the multiple lenses, required for a DSLR camera?

I believe that when you factually address these initial questions, then your search can commence.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:26 AM   #3

I agree with mtclimber, but there is an important question I think she omitted, and that is:

What do you want to shoot?

Different cameras are better at some things than others, and what you want to shoot makes a difference in what camera you should get.

I will also add the following:

What is it about your current camera that you're dissatisfied with?

What focal lengths do you use most with your current camera?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Hey Eugenio! I'm Argentinean too, from Bs. As. Sarah's giving you a great advise. Restrict your search or you'll get totally nuts.
Relating bodies ans lenses, you may relay on some Mercado Libre sellers and/or eBay sellers (much cheaper but you may have to pay heavy duties as you know).
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the back-up, TCav-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:15 PM   #6

Thanks for those fast replies!

First of all, I should say that I'm not even an amateur photographer...but we (me and my wife) are taking photos very often...we enjoy that very much...that's why we are looking for taking photography classes in the future...

The reason why I want to buy a camera is only one: the current TZ5 I use is borrowed from my brother...he owns it but never uses the camera...so he lends it to me for long periods...but now I have some bucks to spend...
TZ5 is not consistent with Image Quality…I don’t like it…I have a relative who owns a Canon SX3, and photos are greater than TZ5’s.

As said...I don't have specific knowledge about photography, so I don't know if a DSLR is what best suits me...that is the reason why I started searching for a bridge camera...
But as I like this activity as a hobby, perhaps in the future I will study technical details of how to take good shoots, so a better camera will be useful.
Perhaps by the moment a DSLR is too much for me, but as I want to improve my skills, I just want to avoid buying a P&S now, and in some time want need to buy something better (here in my city is not easy to buy/sell used or 2nd hand stuff).

My final budget can be around 1000 dollars. Obviously enough for a bridge camera...but perhaps short for a high entry level with good lenses (as a T2i ie). Obviously the ideal budget is around 500 dollars.

Regarding which kind of photos I usually take, they are mostly landscapes during short trips with my family, and portraits and general photo in social/family events (birthdays, etc.).

Desired zoom range is something weird to define. The TZ5 has 10x zoom range (28-280mm), so I found that range enough and very useful. But having a 3x or 5x range won’t be a problem. So, a super-zoom camera is not a must for me…but the ergonomic feeling of having a bridge camera in my hands is much better than a P&S.but as far as I saw, most manual controls cameras are from the super-zoom market segment.
With less zoom range, I found LX3 and G11/G10. LX3 24mm wide angle seems to be great over G11’s 28mm…but I want to have support/advice over general performances.
That is why I put my eye on FZ35, SX1, SX20, G10/G11, TZ10, LX3. They are too many models to select one, but please, if possible, give my your feedback about those you know…and if I forgot to look some other camera, please advice me.

Regarding DSLR, not too much to say in addition of my previous comment. Which would be your best choice for u$d1000? (T2i with which lenses for general purpose).

I will take some more time to analyze the situation better, but please sent me your impression about the mentioned models.

Warm regards,
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:29 PM   #7

For dSLRs, something wider than (the 35mm equivalent of) 28mm would be very expensive. And since Canon entry level dSLRs use a slightly smaller image sensor, yielding an even narrower angle of view, it's the last brand I'd recommend. The same focal length lens on a Nikon, Pentax or Sony would give a wider angle of view. And while their entry level dSLRs are all quite good and are definately something you can grow into, I think, for now, you'd be better off with a bridge camera.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:36 PM   #8

So, which would be your suggestions within Bridge cameras I posted?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:00 PM   #9

T1i with both the 18-55 and 55-250, it aroud $920-950, If you push it a bit, you can add the 50mm 1.8 also for about 90 dollars more
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
So, which would be your suggestions within Bridge cameras I posted?
I defer to mtclimber on bridge cameras.