Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:26 PM   #1

Default Compact Point-and-shoot to supplement a DSLR

Hi folks,

Right now I have a Canon XTI DSLR, with Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 and Canon 70-200 F4 lenses. It covers my shooting needs pretty well.
Unfortunately, most of the times when I go on a walk or to the beach or whatever, I don't want to lug the whole set with me. So now I'm trying to find a competent pocketable camera to supplement the big one.

I haven't been following up on point-and-shoot cameras for a while, and there are so many that I have no idea what to choose.

The requirements would be:
- Decent Optical Zoom - 8x or more.
- Collapsable into a "brick". I don't want a camera that can't slide into a pocket.
- 720p Video with sound.
- GPS tagging

Budget is 300-400.

Cameras that sort of answer my needs:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7
Sony DSC-HX5V
There is also the Samsung HZ35W, but although I could buy it, I couldn't find any reviews or decent information about it.

I am sure there are many more similar cameras, but I couldn't find any others that fit the requirements.
Would love to hear some opinions and recommendations.
Arkady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:20 PM   #2

I am in the same boat, but have factor out the 3 camera's you listed. As I have a dslr also. If I need the more performance the dslr would be the tool of choice. So all I need is a good point and shoot. So getting a 350 dollar point and shoot did not make to much sense.

I have brought down my initial budget form 350 dollars to about 200 now. Been looking at the panasonic ZR1 at costco for 170, 8x zoom, wide angle lens, very good IQ.

GPS will drain your batteries allot quicker, and as the battery packs on a compact is allot smaller. You are limiting the amount of shots you can take.

But so far out of the 3 you listed the hx5v seems very impressive form the first impression thread.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html

Imagine quality of the zs7 seem to be less then the zs3 do to the increase pixels.

not sure about the samsung.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:47 PM   #3
Super Moderator

well if you must have the GPS tagging, then the sony is a good choice, and probably the better choice than the zs7. the zs7's increased pixels over the previous generation caused it to gain noise at the higher ISO's. if you were only going to shoot in bright light at base ISO it should be fine. but overall the sony is a safer bet.

but as shoturtle mentioned, if you don't need gps then the zr1 would be a great choice. i use one as my pocket camera when i am not using my dlsr/evil. the lens is great, good image quality, hd video, and very small package.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:57 PM   #4

arkady-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Please take a good look at the photo that is linked at the foot of this post. It is a side by side photo of the Sony HX5 and the Panasonic ZR1. Although we don't think of that that way, these two cameras are almost exactly the same width, height, and thickness.

Both are very able cameras. If you get down to the fine points, the HX5 has 2X more optical zoom and some fun, high tech features like GPS, and a compass. But it is these unique features that sets the HX5 apart: the Hand Sweep Panorama, the Twilight Mode where the camera, in a bit more that 1/2 second, takes 6 individual photos, and then merges the best features of each of those 6 photos into a single enhanced photo that is save, and the HDR/Backlight Mode where the camera take 2 photos. One is exposed for the highlights, and the second is exposed for the shadows, then it merges those 2 photos into a single enhanced photo that is saved to the memory card.

But those tech "toys" come at a cost! The HX5 sells for $349, and the ZR1 is $170 at Costco. Take your pick, both have nice 25mm wide angle positions in their zoom range.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ol...2_NGjKB-XL.jpg

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone.
After some consideration I decided to go with the Sony HX5V. It should be here in about a week!
Arkady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Congratulations, arkady-

Enjoy your new camera and post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote