Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:07 PM   #11

JohnF-

The 30X + optical zoom available on the FZ-35 is enhanced zoom. I judge that image quality as "only good," and certainly not great. In short there is no way to make a FZ-35 perform in the same way as a Fuji HS-10.

I am very not a big video fan at all because I feel that the video capability on a digicam will never equal what you can get with a dedicated high quality camcorder. While on paper, it seem like a great convenience, physics are not on the side of the digicams. Really good camcorders use multiple imagers and a somewhat different recording process to get their better quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:58 PM   #12

I ended up returning the HX5 and ordered the FZ35 from B&H. I have a feeling I won't regret my decision.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:01 PM   #13

tallymom-

Congratulations! The FZ-35 is a very good camera. I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
tallymom-

Congratulations! The FZ-35 is a very good camera. I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks. I will miss the cool features of the HX5 and how pocketable it is, but am quite excited to receive the FZ35.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:25 PM   #15

tallymom-

That sounds excellent. It looks like you will do well with the FZ-35/38.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
I am planning to buy a camera as an upgrade to my old Canon. I have narrowed down my choices to Panasonic FZ35 and Sony HX5. I have read the buy phentermine features and have seen pictures from both cameras. Both of them looked good to me buy seroquel. I am not a camera expert. So i need some help in selecting between these two cameras.

I want the camera to take good quality pictures outdoors and also take some decent pictures indoors.

I also want nice HD videos. So a comparison between the FZ35 and HX5v video quality would be very helpful.

For the HX5, is the GPS really that useful?. What about the sweep panaroma and Twilight modes?.

If the size difference between these two cameras is not an issue, which camera is the best buy here?

Since the FZ35 and HX5 is now almost in the same price range, i am confused on which camera to buy.

Some insights from the experts or opinions from anyone who has experienced using both these cameras will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Actually the new Sony HX5 is a compact ultrazoom meant to compete with Panasonic's ZS series. The FZ35 is a full sized ultrazoom.

If you like the small size and light weight of the Sony you might want to opt for the Panasonic ZS3 or wait for the upcoming ZS7. The ZS7, like the HX5, has manual exposure controls. The ZS3 and the ZS7 have a longer optical zoom than the HX5, 12x compared to 10x.

Last edited by MarCn; Apr 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM.
MarCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:23 AM   #17

MarCn-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

Just for the record here in the USA the Sony HX5 is considered to be in the compact zoom class of cameras. The Panasonic ZS7 and ZS5 both have already arrived on dealer's shelves and received professional reviews.

While the ZS7 and ZS5 do have longer zooms than the Sony HX5, in their professional reviews they were evaluated to have inferior image quality to the camera that they replaced, the ZS3 and ZS1 due to their new 14mp imagers. The ZS7 and ZS5, along with the ZS3 and ZS1 all suffer from poor indoor image quality due to their very small and weak built in flash units.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:26 PM   #18

Default FZ35 beats Sony HX35 in low light

I like the whole concept of the Sony HX5, with sweep panorama & 10fps being the most innovative features I find attractive in a compact.

However, I love low light/night photography & the HX5 is not good in low light, either in photos or videos. This means it wouldnt be an all purpose camera for me & I 'd have to carry 2 cameras. The Panasonic TZ7 (ZS3) at approx 199 now is 170 cheaper than the sony & has 12x zoom. That camera also performs better in low light , as does the new TZ10 (ZS7).

The lens on the Panasonic FZ & TZ range is also sharper than the Sony HX5. I have a Panasonic FZ35.

Colours are quite vibrant on the HX5. It really depends how your going to use it. If you mostly take daylight pictures & video & dont mind paying more, than the Sony may be better for you

I'm hoping the upgrades to the Panasonics, will feature the sweep panorama & up to 10fps , as the results would be better on a the Panasonic Leica lens
jalond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:39 PM   #19

Hi jalond-

I also happen to own and extensively use both the Panasonic FZ-35 and the ZS3. Let's face it for still images the ZS3 and the FZ-35 functionally top out at ISO 800. Then, noise takes over.

What would you say if I told you that the Sony HX5 can do ISO 1600 shots? Take a look at this attached photo taken in our local super market with the Sony HX5 at ISO 1600. And that is a 100% crop as well

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:28 PM   #20

Hi Everyone,

Thank You! for all your replies.

I just have a quick question about the video quality of both the FZ35 and HX5v.

I have seen lots of comparisons between TZ10 and HX5v.

I am not going to buy TZ10 due to some not so good reviews about its image quality.All i care to know is how the FZ35 video stands up against the HX5v.

Many here had the chance to use both these cameras. So your opinions will be very valuable.

It would be nice if you could mention which one you liked personally out of the two choices rather than a feature based comparison.

I know the video quality wont measure up against dedicated camcorders, but still it would be helpful to know about this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by John_F; Apr 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM.
John_F is offline   Reply With Quote